What's new

good lord please don't let me bled to death!!!

Just finish my first straight shave... what can I said... wow, just a great feeling... BUT...I was scary... really scary, just hoping not to cut something important on my neck area or lose a piece of my face. I got some troubles holding the razor and keeping the right angle: I feel like sometime I got the right angle and then I lost it then I get again and lost it again and so on. The first pass WTG was a scary trip.... now I know I should work on my left hand dexterity or I would have a hard time trying to achieve a fast and enjoyable shave. During the first pass I got pretty nervous on the neck area... the blade feels awfully sharp and I didn't wanna end like grinded beef. I happily survive the first pass without nicks, weepers or cuts.Relather and away with the second pass: once again WTG. This one was smoother, the first pass remove a lot of stubble so this one was easy... but then I approach to the under nose area and S*** I F****** CUT MY SELF!!! (I live alone so no one heard me curse). I must say that a cut with a straight is really worse than I expected: the styptic turn red (not pink: RED) and it was painful than a DE cut.But I'm a big boy (me macho, me shave with sharp knife :001_tt2:) and relather for the last pass (once again WTG). Nothing much to said: not cuts, weepers or nicks (I avoid the upper lip/under nose area).I got a good shave: not as close as I can get with a DE; but a really decent irritation free shave (I could show to work with this kind of shave and I'll be sure no one will notice the stubble left on my chin and mouth area).I will make the straight my weekend shave: I got more time to expend and if I cut my self I'll have time to heal.Thanks for reading (and thanks to superblue for push me over to the straights). Any advice is welcome!

Here's something to try. Do your first pass with your DE. That way you'll get rid of any heavy growth that might slow your straight down and cause pulling and any nicks or cuts.

For your second pass, and any other passes and clean up, use your straight. Doing this will give you a nice smooth surface to practice using that straight on. This should allow you to gain confidence in moving that super sharp thing around your face. But just stick to the easy spots, sideburns, cheeks etc., until you feel its time to move to other parts of your face. Also don't worry about getting really close for now, just aim for a presentable shave. The better shaves will come along in time. Good luck.

^^^^+1 To this. The toughest pass with the straight is the first one.

However, I might add that for those really rough shaves, to cut your losses and finish up with the DE. I found if you just try to grind through a straight shave that just (for whatever reasons) is not going well, you can end up getting very discouraged.

I went the other way.
I did my first pass with the straight (3 days growth).
I ended up going too conservative and it left me with 2 days growth, so I finished up with a 2nd WTG and ATG pass with the R41.

Congratulations on your first straight shave. Hopefully it didn't put you off and you'll be back for more.

Kind of addictive isn't it???

Second shave: no cuts, no weepers, no nicks... a plain good shave.
I focus only on my cheeks and only WTG. I do a quick touch up on my neck, chin and upper lip; but not really worrying about the quality of the shave on those areas.
My plan is to keep using my beloved slim but use the straight for the cheeks and the weekend shaves.
Must said that this is getting really interesting.!

I jumped to the straight completely and never looked back. I did it, and you can do it too! IMHO, every shaver gets nicked once in a while, and if you don't you're just not tryin' hard enough...

Every shave you get under your belt makes the next one easier... and better!

strop

Now half as wise
The only problem with weekend only straight shaves is that it will take a LONG time to really get comfortable with it and get good close and smooth shaves. I've been at this now for about 3 months and am just now getting really comfortable with it.

And don't discount the WTG passes. Since it's virtually impossible for me to do a true XTG pass on my neck, I've found that I can do 3 WTG passes with a scything motion and finish with a ATG pass that is smooth and comfortable. It's all about beard reduction, not necessarily how you accomplish that.

Ok. Today I did my 16th straight shave…. I’m getting better!! Not cuts, not nicks, no razor burn… just a good shave; but not close enough!!!
I’m only doing WTG passes (from 2 up to 4); I tried going XTG today and it was pretty scary; but I manage to do it on my cheeks at least.
I found that the chin is a pretty hard place to shave… and the upper lip to!! (my 2 worst cuts where there)
I want to achieve with the straight the same smoothness that I can get with my DE, right now I’m looking more than fine for my office standards (I’m still the best shave guy around here); but as any wetshaver knows: that’s not good enough!!
I just want to share my progress with you guys and let you know that I’m still not bleed to death.

strop

Now half as wise
Keep at it. I'm 4 months in and just now starting to get shaves that I'm consistently happy with without a little DE touchup.

When I started, my wife asked me if cursing made the bleeding stop faster. It does!

Top Bottom