What's new

Good Cooking Skillet?

That is true Mo. There are also some people on here who boil their brushes to no harmful results even though most people around here recommend they don't. I think its more of a YMMV kind of thing and that it might or might not ruin the taste of food. With that being said, it is not recommended that you use soap when cleaning cast iron, and by no means am I proclaiming to be the expert I am just going based on what I have been taught and discussed with vendors of cast iron.

Yeah, I guess for someone who is just starting out with the cast iron, it is probably better not to. Just wipe, if possible, a little hot water or some salt if needed.

-Mo

I do appreciate the input. I've been using the same routine on my cast iron for awhile now with no obvious ill effects. I will definately put these suggestions to use. :thumbsup:

I assume these are not non-stick? (If they were, you could kill them, after all).

I have some commercial grade non-stick Wearever fry pans that I boght at a restaurant supply store over 10 years ago -- they are still going strong! On the other hand, a non-stick household Wearever set that was bought a few years later is on its last legs. Restaurant supply stores are a very good resource for quality cookware, but the products are not as easy on the eye as all-clad (my trusty Wearevers ain't pretty)...

Now cast iron is good for cooking steaks and such, but if you are looking to make and reduce sauces I highly recommend picking up an All Clad saute pan. Nothing beats All Clad for this task. It is much easier to control the temp on the All Clads because they don't hold their heat as well as cast iron. I would say pick up a nice big cast iron skillet and then a few pieces of All Clad.

I would add that, conversely, all-clads are not very good for steaks -- at least not seared the way it would be done with a cast iron skillet. I'm in the habit of heating up my cast iron skillet quite high before adding a nice oiled steak. I tried that with an all-clad skillet and the damn thing warped. When I checked the warranty info on their site, it was clear that my methods void the warranty (leaving the skillet empty on high heat). I have learned my lesson -- I now fry steaks only in the cast iron (especially the little one with ridges)!

Ouch - Care to elaborate on the French steel pans? I am not really familar with them. How are they cared for, do they "season" like cast iron, are they cared for in the same way, applications for their use... You know, the basics. :biggrin:

Dennis

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The black steel pans are treated just like cast iron- you season them initially, and then make sure you dry them well (just heat them) before you put them away. Many chefs will claim that no other pan can properly color an omelette, and will dedicate one for that purpose alone. As they age, they become increasingly non stick, and develop a beautiful (or ugly, depending on your view) deep golden color. Ideally, they are intended for the professional kitchen, where they will be in constant use. Great for pan searing, pancakes, and crepes, but not for everyone.

Calphalon, if they still make it the way they used to. Heavy gauge, anodized aluminum. Can be scrubbed without ruining it. Cooks like a dream.

Tim

Calphalon, if they still make it the way they used to. Heavy gauge, anodized aluminum. Can be scrubbed without ruining it. Cooks like a dream.

Tim

I do have one of those, in a 14" sautee pan, that I like a lot. It browns beautifully. I must say, though, that it does not heat quite as evenly out to the sides as I would like (but maybe nothing that big does, on a tiny little gas burner. It also does not have quite the non-stick properties of seasoned cast iron. Although it is close.

-Mo

+++ on the cast iron. We have a few Lodge brand skillets and a griddle. Most were used and we wanted them that way. Lots of good heat treatment/seasoning already there. We use the 10(?)inch griddle the most. We've had it over ten years. It is glossy black from all the usage. You have to TRY to stick stuff to it most times. Otherwise it's just wipe it off with a paper towel. Tried some of the T-fal stuff years ago.:thumbdown The supposedly indestructible coating flaked right off after a number of months. I think the heat is what caused it. It just coudn't take searing heat. Probably in the instuctions not to do it but yeesh. The Lodge griddle is about $14 and does all round breakfast duty at our house. Another tip with cast iron is that if you find an old piece of this that is rusted badly(surface scale, NOT heavily pitted)just toss it in a campfire for a few hours. It will clean that rust right off. Of course if the cast is compromised you may wind up with a broken piece of cookware. YMMV use with caution. Used cast is so cheap you probably won't be out much.

Ouch, I will check out your black steel pans. This stuff sounds right up my alley. Besides, with the bigger cast skillets my petite wife can't handle them too well. All Clad sounds like it's on the list too.

As for Le Creuset, I used to think I wanted a whole compliment of this. That's not true anymore. I'd like a couple of the big Dutch ovens for braising and soups and stews. Skillets and griddles shoud = SIMPLE.

Regards, Todd

Todd, if you look at most non-stick (possibly not all, but all I've ever looked at) they typically have a statement in the instructions to use the pans only over low-medium heats. High heats tend to ruin the non-stick coating after a period of time. You can still sear, you just have to do it at a slightly lower temperature, which o course doesn't work as well... Hence why I in general prefer regular stainless for skillets.

I use cast iron skillets on an made by Lodge Manufacturing on my electric stove. They will last you a life time with a little reasonable care, and I do nearly everything in them including omelets. One thing about cast iron on an electric element is that the burner does tend to remove the seasoning on the bottom where the contact is. Be careful to give that a wipe with salad oil until you build up the coating or it will rust.

You'll probably also want some non stick skillets as well. There again, I have good luck with the thicker gauge skillets that aren't real expensive, and they last me a number of years before the silverstone or whatever coating wears out. Or, you could go with the premium grades that have been suggested here.

I do not buy expensive non-stick skillets. It is simply not worth it as they just do not last that long under normal kitchen circumstances. I am not going to buy a non-stick skillet only to use it under lowish heat to preserve the coating. My "best buys" for skillets have been commercial Tramontina skillets that I find at Sam's Club. The are built very nicely, come in 10 and 12 inch sizes seperately or as a set and are pretty darn cheap. I do not feel bad about using it like a pan and will just replace it when I need to. It has been over a year and i am still using the same ones. They heat evenly, have good heft, and the clean up is, well, like a non-stick skillet. :biggrin:

Dennis

Top Bottom