What's new

Golf 2012

Sorry if there is another thread about golf this year. I did a search and didn't find one so I decided to make this one.

I just played a round of golf. It wasn't anything special as a whole but I finally found out how to drive the ball (and hit in general). I started with an hour lesson from the club pro and then hit the course. Long story short, for 4 holes I was driving the ball between 250-320 yards (Hit 2 of the fairways, 2 were a yard into the rough). Not pro-level, but coming from someone who has been hitting 200-250 yards and usually into the woods, this was awesome. Also, 317 is a new record drive for me, I play with a Ping G10 9* and V1 high launch stiff-shaft with a 2 inch extension. My previous record was 295 yards. I'm 6'8" so the club is actually a decent fit even though it was my dad's club (he is 6'10").

Thanks for reading and good rounds to all of you.

Wow. That's one long shaft! That is definitely one perk about being tall. Extra distance for the clubhead to travel in the backswing creating more speed/power.

Practicing good swing mechanics is one thing that I was never at about 8 years ago when I really started getting into the game. I was always trying to hit my irons longer instead of solid. Yeah I hit a few great shots but they were sprinkled in with a lot of duffs, skulls, hooks, and slices. I loved being out there but could only break 100 on a great day. Over the past 2 years I've really worked my iron play and slowed down my swing sightly (about 5 mph). My distances have increased dramatically (7 iron went from ~140 to 155-160) because I'm hitting the ball in the sweet spot of the club. And yes, I'm using the exact same irons. Only thing that's been changed is grips. Now I average bogey golf which I'm decently happy about. I could probably cut that down a little if I played more but I simply don't have the time.

One thing I would really recommend for anyone who wants to track their game is the Golfshot app for the iPhone. Yeah, it's expensive ($30) but for me has been well worth it. Not only is it a golf gps but you can keep your scorecard electronically as well as track shot length, GIR, fairways, putts, and even the direction you've missed them. They also email you your scorecard after completion of each round. Here is mine from fathers day. Played ok, had a couple 'blow up' holes but had a great time with my dad and FiL. Got to play at a resort course here in Nashville where they used to play the Bellsouth Open on the senior tour.

Attachments

• $Untitled.jpg
    $Untitled.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Wow. That's one long shaft! That is definitely one perk about being tall. Extra distance for the clubhead to travel in the backswing creating more speed/power.

The pro took video of me and it was clear that I was actually decelerating the club head through impact. Definitely not the way to hit the long ball. That golfshot app looks like a good tool to use. I just can't get into using my iPhone on the course, too much of a hassle that subtracts from the game, at least during the round. If you like using it, great, I might learn one day.

I played 10 days ago, hit 11 GIR's.

I did not par a single hole that day. So I bought a new putter. Only three putted once on Wednesday when I played. Probably 85% mental, but I will take it!

Top Bottom