What's new

Gold Dollar Straight for a newbie

Alright I'm going to pick up a GD off the bay and send it somewhere to get it properly honed and what not.

Alright I'm going to pick up a GD off the bay and send it somewhere to get it properly honed and what not.

See if Bucca already has some. His cheapies are just your basic GD66 tuned up into a perfectly fine razor.

And then you only pay for him shipping it to you instead. I've got a couple of his GD66 jobs in various locations I spend time at regularly, and they're just as good a shaver as my expensive razors.

Last edited:
I got my first straight last christmas anf it was a gd. I dinged the edge and one of the gents here honed it out for me and now it is my number one favorite razor. I guess what im tring to say is if you get a GD have it honed by some one who knows what they are doing.

My Vorpal origami:

$IMG_5.jpg

Not around here they don't. That happens in that other forum/store front. Properly honed, a GD will shave as good as any other properly honed razor.

+1. I have a couple. I Use Mine all The Time. I bought a cheap one off amazon gd 66 for under 10$. Honed it up, I get some great shaves.

Not around here they don't. That happens in that other forum/store front. Properly honed, a GD will shave as good as any other properly honed razor.
The truly amazing thing to me is the seemingly super natural power that the Gold Dollars possess regarding their destiny. All of the ones with good properly tempered steel that hold great edges end up in the hands of members of B&B. The ones with missed tempers and terrible junk steel that can't hold an edge through a complete shave find their way to people on other forums.

The truly amazing thing to me is the seemingly super natural power that the Gold Dollars possess regarding their destiny. All of the ones with good properly tempered steel that hold great edges end up in the hands of members of B&B. The ones with missed tempers and terrible junk steel that can't hold an edge through a complete shave find their way to people on other forums.

You misappropriated the credit. The power is with the elite membership of B&B to draw the good blades.

I just recieved a GD66 in the mail off ebay, for the sum of £2.85 including shipping from China, almost shave ready. If you have any intend to trying out customizing or just need a cheap razor to learn how to hone, without risking ruining your grate grandfathers razor passed down through generations, I really cant see how you could go wrong with the GD.

Yeah, got a GD 66 in the post today (finally! Took a l o n g time to get here).
looking to get it shave ready, think that journey is one best done in pictures on a new thread...
The next step is to "simply" to make some nicer scales for it, as the cheap plastic ones just make it look cheap and plasticky (who would've guessed...right?).
Think some based on the work of the late H R Geiger are on the cards.

Last edited:
I just got two yesterday. No bevel at all, completely blunt. A lot of pressure and it didn't took me long to hone them up on Chosera and Coticule.
I got to tell you that i see much improvement in quality. Few years ago i bought one from same place and that one was terrible. It even didn't want to close properly, the heel was hitting inner "pin". Those ones are closing properly and the blades are fairly straight. I've noticed that they are using different pins than before. Much nicer.

Top Bottom