What's new

Glue recommendation needed

I was able to track down a discontinued hat from one of my local baseball teams. However there is some thread wear that I would like to try to glue down. I'm looking for recommendations for glue that will dry clear, Not darken the threads, not yellow in the sun, not look glossy or gummy (matte finish?)and does not make threads brittle. It might be too much to ask but I thought I'd try

Glues tried so far.
Gorilla glue fabric glue -darken and gummy
Gorilla glue clear grip -darken and gummy

20230720_074040.jpg

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have found Gorilla Super Glue to dry clear and have a decently pointed applicator. If you try it, be careful. It will dry very quickly, and if any gets on your fingertips and they touch, disengaging them will be painful. Oh, and I assume you test first on something else. I have no idea how it would look on threads.

Last edited:
Cyanoacrylate (super glue) gorilla, loctite, super glue corporation etc will be my last choice. It should do the job but it tends to make threads brittle after drying. It "dries" out the fibers and they are no longer porous(proper terminology?), getting another glue to accept the thread ends after is much more difficult.

I have 30 year old pair of small sissors from suture removal kit.

They were German made, we us to reuse many time, heat sterilization between patients

Great for fine work, should last forever if I don’t cut something too large with them.

Would be great for your project.

I use a product from Singer called Sew No More. It comes in a small bottle and is used two glue to pieces of fabric together so you don't have to sew them together.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I used the scissors shown below. They worked very well. I might still take a pin and glue behind some of the threads just to hold loose ones down. The trimming made a world of difference.

20230811_081353.jpg20230811_081427.jpg

So I'm trying to fix my Superman's belt and underwear. The thing is the glue I'm using keeps seeping through. He clothes and no gluing is being done. Anyone know any kind of glue that would work with the plastic belt and the fabric underwear??
If it was a Batman cape you would use Batglue, but as it is Supeman, logical Dr Spok ''Superglue"

I wasn't quite understanding the question, so I didn't answer. Depends on the fabric. There's a lot of no hem tapes and no hem glues out there. Nylon has a tendency to bleed through, and or darken if you use that instead of stitching.

Top Bottom