What's new

Glassware Discussion Thread

Tim,

I wholeheartedly agree with you. The Riedel glasses in the Vinum, Vinum Extreme and the very high-end Sommelier series are perfectly matched to the particular type of wine and in some cases port, grappa or whisky that you are drinking.

I have the Vinum glasses in the Zinfandel/Chianti, the Riesling/White Italian, the Brunello and the Bordeaux. In the Vinum Extreme I have the Prosecco glasses and a very generous friend bought me the the Single Malt Whisky glasses in the Sommelier series. The Sommelier series is pretty much the same as the Vinum in appearance and design, the Sommelier is handmade crystal where as Tim points out the Vinum is machine made crystal. Don't let the fact that it is machine made crystal deter you, they are very well constructed and rise to the task of what you are tasting.

The designers of these glasses spent a lot of time with producers of fine single malts to introduce a glass that will direct the flow of the booze to the right part of the palate to pick up the subtle nuances of the spirit.

I sat down to a blind tasting and it believe it or not, it does make a difference to have the wine match the glass. Now I will admit that this is also somewhat psychological, however, the glass design is made to give the best presentation of what you are drinking to bring out the right flavors.

They also make for great conversation among foodie friends, and it adds to the ambience if you are hosting a multi-course dinner with different varieties of wine.

I couldn't agree more. Nice glassware not only sets the mood, but has a functional purpose. That said, I think the destinction between two similarly sized glasses of the same relative design is completely imagined. But, the distinction between using a white wine glass vs. a bordeaux glass for a nice Bordeaux or Zinfandel is huge. The larger surface area of the wine exposed to air combined the smaller top opening in the glass 'trap' the fumes to some degree, providing a huge olfactory benefit. In addition to this, the large surface area allows the wine to 'open up' a bit, even while drinking. This effect is similar to wide bottom decanting.

I am lucky enough to have a good friend, a sommelier actually, who bought me (2) Riedel Bordeaux Grand Cru, Sommelier series for my wedding. They are prized by me.

Regards - John

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
This will soon become the Reidel-lovers' thread. I've been a fan of their stemware for some time now ... basically I got started when I heard about how their glasses improved the taste of wine (and they demonstrated that to Robert Mondavi, leading him to change from cheap glasses to Reidel in his winery showroom.)

I've never upgraded to the top-end stuff, but even their modest items are very high quality in their price range.

This will soon become the Reidel-lovers' thread.
Hear hear! :biggrin:

I've got some Riedel Sommelier glasses and I'll be darned if they don't actually make the wine taste better. The ones I have are quite large and as a result, the entire schnoz fits right inside the rim while you're taking a sip and makes it impossible to not appreciate the bouquet. Plus, with the size, you can pretentiously swirl your wine like a madman and not worry about spillage.

full

No joke, I think I could fit a whole bottle of wine (just about) in ONE of these things.

-Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried a Glencairn glass?

Dennis

Dennis,

While I'm dragging up old photos from the gallery:

full

The Glencairns are nice, but I'd say they're definitely tasting glasses, not laid back sippin' glasses. If you're looking for a glass to take small sips and analyze the legs, nose, taste, and finish, then yeah, it's pretty neat. If you're looking for a glass where you can pour a couple fingers and sit back and relax, it doesn't quite fit that bill.

-Nick

Thanks Nick - interesting.... I have always been a whisk(e)y and bourbon guy outside my beers. I never did anything special for the whiskeys - usually a large shot glass. I tried my first ever scotch last night and used a brandy snifter. The alcohol fumes were a bit overpowering trying to get the nose from it. Is was doing the all legs analysis thing because I am so new at this. I can definitely see the appeal - I will try one of our Lennox crystals (we have several styles from our wedding registry ages ago). I'll see if that makes a difference.

Dennis

Thanks Nick - interesting.... I have always been a whisk(e)y and bourbon guy outside my beers. I never did anything special for the whiskeys - usually a large shot glass. I tried my first ever scotch last night and used a brandy snifter. The alcohol fumes were a bit overpowering trying to get the nose from it. Is was doing the all legs analysis thing because I am so new at this. I can definitely see the appeal - I will try one of our Lennox crystals (we have several styles from our wedding registry ages ago). I'll see if that makes a difference.

Dennis

I don't like brandy snifters for that very reason. The alcohol aroma is just way too strong. For bourbon I heartily recommend the Riedel Vinum Cognac Hennessy Glass. It's also around 15 dollars. Here's a link to a page about it, it has pictures and some reviews too. I really love this glasses, I find it works far better for bourbon than for cognac, IMO. I can pour a shot of 140 proof George T. Stagg in there, jam my whole nose in and just enjoy the fragrance and not smell the alcohol at all, it's amazing. If I do the same thing with a snifter I'll pass out.

Hear hear! :biggrin:

I've got some Riedel Sommelier glasses and I'll be darned if they don't actually make the wine taste better. The ones I have are quite large and as a result, the entire schnoz fits right inside the rim while you're taking a sip and makes it impossible to not appreciate the bouquet. Plus, with the size, you can pretentiously swirl your wine like a madman and not worry about spillage.

full

No joke, I think I could fit a whole bottle of wine (just about) in ONE of these things.

-Nick

Nick, which model of Riedel's are those?

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Those look like the hand blown Sommeliers. The Vinum line is more than adequate for most purposes, but we seem to gravitate towards excess around these parts.

Riedel (REED-uhl) are the best you can get.

The Riedel Vinum Single Malt glasses have been on my want list. I have full sets in 4 or 5 different Wine Styles. The prices on the Vinum line aren't too bad. I need to replace one of the Bordeaux/Cab glasses so I might as well pick up a couple for Scotch.

Nick, which model of Riedel's are those?

Jay & Mike called it. Great for Cabs.

If you break one, you are crying...lol.

You're not kidding! I liken it to nice watches. Back when I was sporting a Casio or Timex, I'd lose about a watch a month on average. I haven't lost a single watch since I started purchasing decent watches. To the same extent, sometimes I'll snap a stem just by setting the wine glass down. These things feel so delicate I'm forced to be gentle with them.

-Nick

I drink whisk(e)y from Maison du Whisky Pure Glasses:
proxy.php

I drink wine from Reidel Vinum-series glasses.

I've heard some good things about them. Do you mind throwing up a review in the durables section or posting more of your thoughts here and/or how they compare to other whisky glasses. Thanks, Steve

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Re. the Reidel O series question (forgot to 'quote' the question)

I've never used them ... the idea doesn't really appeal to me, because one of the important things about the standard wineglass is the stem! [FYI, the O series is a set of stemless, flat-bottomed wineglasses!!] If for no other reason than to keep the heat of one's hand from warming the wine, the stem is crucial.

I can see where these would be superb glasses for everyday wine that isn't good enough for real glasses, but that just means another set of one-purpose glasses to keep around where, really, any glass could do.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Re. the Reidel O series question (forgot to 'quote' the question)

I've never used them ... the idea doesn't really appeal to me, because one of the important things about the standard wineglass is the stem! [FYI, the O series is a set of stemless, flat-bottomed wineglasses!!] If for no other reason than to keep the heat of one's hand from warming the wine, the stem is crucial.

I can see where these would be superb glasses for everyday wine that isn't good enough for real glasses, but that just means another set of one-purpose glasses to keep around where, really, any glass could do.

Oh, and I keep misspelling "Riedel". Sorry, it's a side-effect of my RAD.

Top Bottom