What's new

Gillette Old Type or Dark side of the Gillette

After I got both flat-bottom Tech and New Type, I knew I won't be fully satisfied until I'll try Old Type.

I decided that Single or Double ring models can wait for later, so I bought plain Old Type with ball-end hollow handle from 1920-s.

Here it is:

$P60206-155623.jpg

So, I rinsed my face with hot water, thoroughly lathered it, inserted Bic blade into razor and begun to shave in my usual manner (as with my Gillette Tech or New).

It was a bloody bath. Literally. Hadn't so many nicks in half a year and when I used aftershave it burned like sulfuric acid (not that I use sulfuric acid fon an aftershave).

Of course, I read about agressiveness of the Old Type razor, but so much of it in were somewhat of a shock.

Now I see that my initial opinion was a little exaggerated. I begig actually paying attention to what pressure I use (if any), to angle of shaving, and replaced razor-sharp Bic blade with mild Treet Classic, and today I got what I always want from razors - smooth and clean shaving without irritation.

So. This is a mean and unforgiving razor, and if I'd got THIS for a first shaver, I'd probably cried out and forgot about DE shaving for a while, but it really can teach you right technique - throughout pain and blood, but nevertheless.

I doubt it will ever become my daily shaver (for now there are battle between New SC and flat bottom Tech for this place) but I'll sure will keep it in my rotation - so I won't become soft and relaxed ;)

The OT razors are real face scrappers for me too. Play around with the angle some experimenting with the handle close to your face, more parallel to floor, somewhere in between, etc.

I got to the point I could occasionally get a weeper-free shave, but it took a lot of concentration with my sensitive skin and/or poor technique.

The OT razors are real face scrappers for me too. Play around with the angle some experimenting with the handle close to your face, more parallel to floor, somewhere in between, etc.

I got to the point I could occasionally get a weeper-free shave, but it took a lot of concentration with my sensitive skin and/or poor technique.

Well, I can tolerate a nick or two, but after first use I had like a ten of them.

So for now I decided not to use in in any of really sharp blades like Bic or Feather. Too dangerous :)

OLD type is my daily shaver, I have both thin and a thick cap varieties. For me they are mild and efficient razors, I can't remember the last time I had a nick or a weeper. Work on technique and angle, but your experience seems extreme. Don't give up on it, they're great razors! :thumbup1:

I think this is a combination of razor and blade draw my blood. Well, that, and I really didn't know what to expect of them, so I didn't adjusted accordingly.

I found the OT a bit rough as well. I would think if that were my only option to shave with I could make it work but it would require VERY close attention to angle, pressure, blade choice and optimal lathering. Probably-one-pass-and-out-too.

I found the OT a bit rough as well. I would think if that were my only option to shave with I could make it work but it would require VERY close attention to angle, pressure, blade choice and optimal lathering. Probably-one-pass-and-out-too.

Hmm, not out, but not for daily use, definitely. It's old, demanding and unforgiving - like Norse gods :) TRying it tomorrow another time - now with a heavier stainless handle.

But you right - after I end it's test - one use in a week, tops. When you have a time for self-discipline :)

Our great-granddads were real men - as they had only this and straights for shaving. But I suppose with old-style thicker blade it can lose lot of it's agressiveness.

Let the OT rest for a while, and keep working on your technique, angle, and pressure with your other razors. With more experience the OT Will become a treasured razor.

I recently bought a Gillette old type head manufactured in Canada and refinished in satin nickel by Razor Emporium to see what all the fuss was about. I paired it first with a RazoRock Jaws handle and then a Weber Bulldog handle. So far I have enjoyed three shaves using an Astra blade without a single nick or weeper. It is definitely an aggressive razor similiar to my 2013 Muhle R41. I'm not sure which gives me the better shave but they rank close.

I don't know if it makes any difference but I prep my face with Noxema Orginal Skin Cream which is a trick I learned here on Badger and Blade. I also use very light pressure while shaving and try to maintain a proper angle.

I prefer aggressive razors but when I first started using my R41 it bit me several times. Practice seemed to help me master the "beast."

The OLD's all have different heads. There's thin caps and thick caps. The single ring and double ring have thin caps. There is also at least one thin cap ball end I know of, the Canadian made with smooth ball end, no knurls. It also has a narrower base plate compared to my single ring and later USA and England ball ends with thick caps. There's Canadian ball ends with thick caps.

I didn't consider either the USA or England thick caps to be overly aggressive. The English one may have been a bit smoother.
My Canadian thin cap with smooth ball is the icing on the cake. It's the smoothest of em all so I sold the rest, except my newly acquired Single ring. I'm not quite sold on the single ring yet. It's the most aggressive of any I've had for sure but it's a bit rough.

I'm being picky. They're all great razors but my Canadian is the one to keep. It's the cream of the crop to me.

proxy.php

Let the OT rest for a while, and keep working on your technique, angle, and pressure with your other razors. With more experience the OT Will become a treasured razor.

^^^
The Old Type is an "acquired taste," so to speak. But it is worth the time and effort. Two shims, for some reason, actually improve the shave.

Well done. Olds can be great shavers, but they require care in use. They have a fairly narrow operating window.

I tore up my face pretty good the first time I used my Old Type. I also used a vintage barrow Gillette blade as well.

After I got both flat-bottom Tech and New Type, I knew I won't be fully satisfied until I'll try Old Type.

I decided that Single or Double ring models can wait for later, so I bought plain Old Type with ball-end hollow handle from 1920-s.

Here it is:

View attachment 636641

So, I rinsed my face with hot water, thoroughly lathered it, inserted Bic blade into razor and begun to shave in my usual manner (as with my Gillette Tech or New).

It was a bloody bath. Literally. Hadn't so many nicks in half a year and when I used aftershave it burned like sulfuric acid (not that I use sulfuric acid fon an aftershave).

Of course, I read about agressiveness of the Old Type razor, but so much of it in were somewhat of a shock.

Now I see that my initial opinion was a little exaggerated. I begig actually paying attention to what pressure I use (if any), to angle of shaving, and replaced razor-sharp Bic blade with mild Treet Classic, and today I got what I always want from razors - smooth and clean shaving without irritation.

So. This is a mean and unforgiving razor, and if I'd got THIS for a first shaver, I'd probably cried out and forgot about DE shaving for a while, but it really can teach you right technique - throughout pain and blood, but nevertheless.

I doubt it will ever become my daily shaver (for now there are battle between New SC and flat bottom Tech for this place) but I'll sure will keep it in my rotation - so I won't become soft and relaxed ;)

Just keep that handle down by your face.

Lift the handle away from the face and prepare to "dig in."

I have never used a steep angle with an OT. My advice is to start with the cap flat on the face and handle sticking straight out. Slowly lower the handle until it starts cutting hair. I find mine works best with a light touch (try to just remove the lather) and a shallow angle.
But YMMV.

Top Bottom