What's new

Gillette barrel cracks

R

romsitsa

Hello,

I can't believe this.
This pig was all right except for two minor cracks when I purchased it 1-2 years ago. Opened the case today to check something, and the neck looked somehow off.
Surface of the crack is bright brass, so it most likely cracked a few months ago.

IMG_4374.JPG IMG_4375.JPG

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I feel your pain. I had a goodwill with no cracks. Used it once. Two months later, cracked on one end.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

R

romsitsa

Luckily I still have a few spare handles, but it really puzzles me. It was stored properly and I didn't even clean it.

Adam

Part pressed on another of almost equal diameter. Could be NOS, never touched and stored in a sealed box with climate control and they can still crack.

Best solution is just a new handle. If you look at Delta Echo, they have great photos on their website showing new handles on these. There are also many other vendors out there that would do this.

That is a shame. It would be great if someone made replacement barrels. Maybe etch a logo in the middle of the knurling to ensure no one tries to pass them off as originals. I like these handles on my news and old types.

Dang. I've bought a few that I would have sworn didn't have a crack in them, only to find one a couple of months later. And they have all had the larger ferrule.

Brother Romsitsa,

We need to remind ourselves that these razors are what, maybe 80 to 100 years old? When we reach that lofty age we too doubtless will have some lines in our faces. :001_rolle

It sounds like it would be a good idea to glue in a splint, just to prevent a future crack.
That's assuming you just want to shave with it. As a collectible, I dunno. It would weigh a bit more than an unmodified handle.

Best solution is just a new handle. If you look at Delta Echo, they have great photos on their website showing new handles on these. There are also many other vendors out there that would do this.
Nope, it's not!
The OP is not searching for solution. Also he just wants the original handle.
Nevermind Delta Echo stinking handles.

I don't see any evidence that Delta Echo makes repro handles.
Back Roads Gold (Etsy) - only as a custom order?

The thing I don't like about modern handles is that they weigh at least twice as much as vintage handles. Okay, maybe some aluminum handles are lighter, but I don't like aluminum handles.
Whatever happened to the notion of "Gillette got it right the first time"?

I don't see any evidence that Delta Echo makes repro handles.
Back Roads Gold (Etsy) - only as a custom order?

The thing I don't like about modern handles is that they weigh at least twice as much as vintage handles. Okay, maybe some aluminum handles are lighter, but I don't like aluminum handles.
Whatever happened to the notion of "Gillette got it right the first time"?

I never said that Delta Echo makes their own handles. Jay puts Windrose handles on some Old Types. He also sells them with original handles. If you go on his website, you can see that.

I am a big Gillette guy, bought a dozen vintage for me and my sons. They didn’t get that handle right. They just didn’t crack after a century, they were known to crack even after a few years. It is rare when you don’t find them cracked. I just lost a bid yesterday on one with a perfect handle, first one I’ve seen in months. I also didn’t imply to throw the handle in a landfill, but for shaving, it’s best to just repair it best you can and put it off to the side if you intend to shave with it. A collector would repair the handle and keep it together for now or leave it completely alone.

Last edited:
Nope, it's not!
The OP is not searching for solution. Also he just wants the original handle.
Nevermind Delta Echo stinking handles.

You must be right, Windrose handles stink. The gentleman does not have a hairline crack, that handle is done for shaving. Best to repair and put off to the side.

Last edited:
Everybody cool your jets. He wasn't looking for a replacement-he has them. He was merely sharing that he was puzzled by the splitting of the handle when there was nothing acting on the handle except for time and a normal, typical environment.

Luckily I still have a few spare handles, but it really puzzles me. It was stored properly and I didn't even clean it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Hello,

I can't believe this.
This pig was all right except for two minor cracks when I purchased it 1-2 years ago. Opened the case today to check something, and the neck looked somehow off.
Surface of the crack is bright brass, so it most likely cracked a few months ago.

View attachment 914856 View attachment 914857

Adam

That would be a shock! Metal fatigue...

It could be fixed if you're so inclined, but I'm sure you know that.

Top Bottom