What's new

Gillette Adjustable settings

Hi everyone,

I have been DE shaving for a while with good results using a Super Speed. I would now like to try the Gillette Adjustable that I have and am not too sure about the way to set it. Am I right that the higher the number the less aggresive the shave will be ?

Regards,

David

No. Reverse it. The higher the number the moreaggressive the shave will be. Start low and work your way up to a setting that provides a close enough, yet comfortable shave for you.

Dave --

If you've been accustomed to the SS, set the adjustable to a setting of 3 initially and go ahead; it'll get you started. You can try other settings down the road.

-- John Gehman

Thanks Guys, I did indeed have it backwards. Good that I asked on this one.

Regarding the Blades I seem to get good results using either Merkur, or Rotbart. Both are readily available here in Germany, and I must say I find no real difference between them other than price.

Regards,

David

Personally i just finished my first week of DE shaving and last night i tried for the first time my new slim. Put it at 7 and had the best shave i have ever gotten.

Don't go too low or you wont get a shave you are looking for.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
3 works for me on a Fat Boy. :thumbup1:

One of the smoothest shaves going.

Personally i just finished my first week of DE shaving and last night i tried for the first time my new slim. Put it at 7 and had the best shave i have ever gotten.

Don't go too low or you wont get a shave you are looking for.

I have both the slim and Fatboy, but have yet to use them- recent Ebay aquisitions (Rad has a hold already!)
Based on everything I've read here follow the earlier advice and start at 2 or 3. DON'T start at a higher number. Some people have a tougher skin and can handle a very aggressive razor, most of the world cannot, and you will pay dearly if you are in the majority when you crank it up that high. What works for some doesn't work for all, which is why there is an adjustible in the first place.
Start low and after a couple of shaves work upward... you'll find the number or numbers that work best for you quickly enough.

Hi David and welcome

By reading the many posts on this forum you may gather that DE shaving is not a test of who can stand the most pain! DO NOT START ON NUMBER 7, no one on this forum should be advising a newbee to start this high. Always, always start on the lowest and work upwards, just like the regulars advise. Good luck to all those who think after a week they can crank the razor open and bingo, most will learn the hard way, don't be one of them, take it steady and enjoy the journey!

When you start the lower the better as you get a feel you can go as high as you want. I personally prefer 8 on 1st-7 on 2nd - 6 on 3rd shave

Admitted, but to someone who has been shaving with a DE a week, recommending starting on 7 is way too high. How long does it take on average to become proficient with a DE, a month or so minimum? 7 after a week, too high.

I've been using a Slim Adj. for the last 5 days, and I've think I've got it down. This AM, I started with a WTG pass at 5, an XTG pass at 3, and a ATG pass at 2. I finish w/ a little clean-up on my jaw line and around the lips at 1. This was with a Derby. It may vary depending on the blade.

Obviously I am mistaken, I have only been shaving with a DE for a few weeks but only achieving bbs with no irritation after 4 passes. Tomorrow is the big day, new blade wind the vision wide open and voila, bbs in one pass, loads of balm and burn but what the heck, I've got a bbs in only one pass! As responsible people we should be taking newbies under our wing and giving these guys advise which will keep them trying whilst not undermining their confidence. Better still, buy a mach 3!

Start at 2 or 3. That will be enough. Have you identified (using the Super Speed) which blade(s) are best for you?

I would suggest listening to sound advise. Once you get familiar and proficient with the adjustable then you can experiment with the settings but I agree with LG...start at 2-3 until you become familiar with the razor. If you research through past posts you will see that this same advise is given over and over again. It is sound advise.

Raf

Very sound advice Raf

Leisureguy and brojohn know what they're talking about, many of us have viewed their posts and asked for advise from them on this forum and strangely it has always been the same, as it has from many DE shavers starting out on that road, start slow and easy and work up from there. I am sure there are many converts out there who rushed things and paid the price (it's difficult not to,human nature being what it is) but the old-timers (forgive my insolence John and Michael, I mean those who have a good deal of experience) really do know best!

Hi David and welcome

By reading the many posts on this forum you may gather that DE shaving is not a test of who can stand the most pain! DO NOT START ON NUMBER 7, no one on this forum should be advising a newbee to start this high. Always, always start on the lowest and work upwards, just like the regulars advise. Good luck to all those who think after a week they can crank the razor open and bingo, most will learn the hard way, don't be one of them, take it steady and enjoy the journey!

Paul,

Be careful what you are reading. I never told him to start at 7. I just was saying that is what i do. And i was informing him that having it at 2 or 3 wont get him a shave he is looking for. Many noobs (myself included) think they are going to get a bbs the first go around. Having it at 2 or 3 wont get him there. My post so more of a FYI from another noob than advice.

I took personal offense to your posts. :001_unsur

Paul,

Be careful what you are reading. I never told him to start at 7. I just was saying that is what i do. And i was informing him that having it at 2 or 3 wont get him a shave he is looking for. Many noobs (myself included) think they are going to get a bbs the first go around. Having it at 2 or 3 wont get him there. My post so more of a FYI from another noob than advice.

I took personal offense to your posts. :001_unsur

Ryan

Likewise, be careful what you are reading, you did NOT inform him that starting at 2 or 3 would be a good starting point as many seasoned shavers have done. A setting of 2 or 3 may get him the shave he is looking for without any irritation, I for one acheive bbs on nearly the lowest setting on my adjustables (and I have a heavy beard and have been wetshaving for 20+ years). The threads on this forum place a great deal of emphasis on NOT trying to acheiving a bbs too early on, but learning to shave properly with good technique and least irritation, and building up to a clean shave gradually. It is clear from reading threads that many newbs (hideous name) are of the opinion that this is the ultimate, and whilst it may be, many of the seasoned shavers will attest to the fact that this is indeed an ultimate and should not be expected after a few days with an adjustable razor on nearly maximum setting, which is precisely what your post inferred, indeed you advised, and I quote "having it on 2 or 3 won't get him there"! If you have taken offence, so be it, but newcomers to wetshaving techniques and in particular the Safety razor should heed the advice given by people who have experience and genuinely know what they are talking about.

Let's keep things civil here, men. Regardless of how strongly you may feel about something, you can always be polite and considerate toward each other. This is a Gentleman's forum and just as important as the content here is the necessity to conduct ourselves in a gentlemanly fashion.

Ryan

Likewise, be careful what you are reading, you did NOT inform him that starting at 2 or 3 would be a good starting point as many seasoned shavers have done. A setting of 2 or 3 may get him the shave he is looking for without any irritation, I for one acheive bbs on nearly the lowest setting on my adjustables (and I have a heavy beard and have been wetshaving for 20+ years). The threads on this forum place a great deal of emphasis on NOT trying to acheiving a bbs too early on, but learning to shave properly with good technique and least irritation, and building up to a clean shave gradually. It is clear from reading threads that many newbs (hideous name) are of the opinion that this is the ultimate, and whilst it may be, many of the seasoned shavers will attest to the fact that this is indeed an ultimate and should not be expected after a few days with an adjustable razor on nearly maximum setting, which is precisely what your post inferred, indeed you advised, and I quote "having it on 2 or 3 won't get him there"! If you have taken offence, so be it, but newcomers to wetshaving techniques and in particular the Safety razor should heed the advice given by people who have experience and genuinely know what they are talking about.

I just find it funny that this guy is personally taking attacking me because of SOMETHING I DIDNT SAY. Show me where i tell him to set his razor at 7 then you have an argument. And you are assuming that this "noob" should know and i quote, "an ultimate and should not be expected after a few days". No one informed him of that. I was just shedding light on the subject.

You were just being rude. BOTTOM LINE! There was no reason for you to attack my message the way you did.

I think the best advice would be to just start off slow and low and experiment for yourself. It's not a pissing contest for who uses the highest settings and the sharpest blades, the Straight Shavers have us beat all day long on that one.

I get BBS every day at a 3-4. I don't even know why you would need to turn it up higher unless you were shaving off 4 days growth (which I have done) but even then it can be done with more passes and frequent cleaning.

Remember, the idea is to take it off in passes, not all at once.

Top Bottom