What's new

Geting started and in need of some help

So i have been shaving with a safety razor brush and soap for maybe 3-4 years now and i am looking to get started with straight razor shaving. The thing is tho i dont know where to start or what to buy. I checked out whipped dog and larry's supplies yesterday and thought that i might just buy the razor strop and honing stone from him? But i need some tips first. What is good stuff for a noob? I need tips on a good razor and honing stone and links to the site where i can buy them. It would help me allot! :001_smile

First things first. What you need as an SR noob is a shave ready razor. This can be procured rather inexpensively either from Whipped Dog, or our own life2short (shave ready Gold Dollars). Next is a razor strop. The usual recommendation is Larry's poor man's strop kit, but other inexpensive options exist. It is generally advised to be rather stingy when buying your first strop since you will most assuredly both cut and nick it. I would stay away from honing in the beginning and when finally ready to start honing, I would suggest you go with lapping film (it is very cheap, don't worry).

Other guys who actually know stuff will be along shortly to help you out.

Edit: Larry's strop kit will include a balsa strop that will allow you to "refresh" your edges. This is actually very useful and will delay the need for rehoning for quite some time.

I would go with the Whipped Dog approach as well. The razor will be shave ready. If you get the strop and the balsa pasted strop that's all you'll need for a while and even when that doesn't work Larry sells a cut down 12k finishing hone for about $15 (as I recall). That's all you'll need.

You'll probably be less frustrated if you buy two "sight unseen" razors from Larry. If you mess one up learning to strop properly or bump the edge into the faucet you'll still be able to shave while you figure out how to deal with honing the first one.

That's really all you need to make the switch to straight razor shaving.

I must say that from what I have read here, all the above is excelllent advice. Were I living in the USA I should be very interested in some of these suppliers and the quite obviously excellent services they offer.

Sadly, living as I do in England these people just do not exist here (as far as I know) so I have started messing about with Gold Dollars whilst shaving with vintage razors I have found on ebay. Frannkly this is not the way to start - especially if you do not want to spend a lot of money and in the process acquire quite a lot of junk!

Best of luck.

C.

Franky, I would agree that if you're just starting out, Larry from Whipped Dog will get you setup and ready to go. The razor might not be pretty, but if you get a starter kit from him, you will have exactly what you need to walk the first mile down the path to decide if you like it and you want to go further.

I know quite a few who first bought from Whipped Dog, and their first razor from him is a point of pride and they still have them to this day...

Wow after strolling around on other forums i forgot how helpful the shaving comunity is! Thanks! I will try to have fun and keep my arteries intact

I must say that from what I have read here, all the above is excelllent advice. Were I living in the USA I should be very interested in some of these suppliers and the quite obviously excellent services they offer.

Sadly, living as I do in England these people just do not exist here (as far as I know) so I have started messing about with Gold Dollars whilst shaving with vintage razors I have found on ebay. Frannkly this is not the way to start - especially if you do not want to spend a lot of money and in the process acquire quite a lot of junk!

Best of luck.

C.

Agreed! I too bought vintage razors on ebay starting out 10+ years ago. Think of this route as 'hard mode'. I gave up after a short while then and have only recently given it another go (with much good advise from these forums) and have had about 4 months of sucess. Yay!

If I could have done it all over I probably would have bought a shave ready razor back then; I'm not sure if Whipped Dog was in business back then.

I would actually recommend against buying a Gold Dollar to learn to hone on. For me, learning how to hone and shave with a stock unhoned Gold Dollar would be like 'brutal mode'.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Don't sweat about cutting an artery; It really isn't that dangerous. Haha

I started out with a gold dollar and cheap strop from ruprazor as a gift from wifey. The gold dollar though honed professionally was not great, and I accidentally bumped the edge and let it rust, and I nicked up the strop. I made mistakes but on cheap stuff and decided straight shaving was for me. Then I bought nice stuff.

I second getting some cheap stuff from someone like Larry at whipped dog and make your mistakes on that, and maybe you'll find its not for you without jumping in too deep. God luck.

Top Bottom