What's new

Gems in a Junk Shop

RAD kicking in. Uh, oh.

I've lived in my town my whole life. Today I finally stopped at an antique shop that has been there oh, about fifteen years, that I'd never been to. This one is truly a junk shop. Stuff is everywhere with very little rhyme or reason that I could discern. First smell that hit me upon entering was what I learned was an inaccessible dead skunk in the crawlspace under the floor. You get the idea.

So I'm looking around, and I looked in one glass case and saw, literally, dozens of straight razors, most under elastic straps in velvet wraps that held a dozen or so each. I asked to look at them, and almost all of them are in really nice condition. A few have nicks in the blades or broken scales, but the shop owner had bought the lot from a collector, so most were pretty nice. They were priced $15-$25. I had a hard time choosing one, partly because I don't really know yet what I'm looking at, other than to know to look for certain manufacturing locales. There were Henckels, a Dubl Duck, some from Boston, NY, London, Germany, some of the NY blades even listed addresses (one was a Canal St. address). Mostly black or white celluloid scales; some of the scales had decoration. I didn't even look at the ones in boxes, some of which had bone or antler handles. I could have spent several weeks' pay there. I ended up with the one below, marked "OSKAR KEMPER" "OHLIGS-SOLINGEN" "GERMANY." It required almost no cleaning. It measures 6 3/8" tip to tang, closed, and the blade is 6/8. There were all sizes there, some looked like they might be 4/8, some as large as 7/8 or maybe even 8/8.

Ironically, now that I've finally visited this shop, he's moving it a few towns away.

Sweet as a nut! Get the rest before he escapes!

Oh, I wish. There were, literally, four or five dozen razors at least. He told me where he's moving his shop to, and we built up a bit of a rapport, so I'm sure I'll be visiting him again. Almost bought that Dubl Duck . . .

At those prices you could buy them up and sell them online for some decent coin. Not only would you make money, but you'd be giving those babies a home that will use and appreciate them for years to come. Or, you know, you could leave them there to rust and decay until someone tries to sell them on uh-bay as "mint".

At those prices you could buy them up and sell them online for some decent coin. Not only would you make money, but you'd be giving those babies a home that will use and appreciate them for years to come. Or, you know, you could leave them there to rust and decay until someone tries to sell them on uh-bay as "mint".

Okay, now just for kicks, because I shouldn't even be thinking this way, what would a razor like the one I pictured go for online? Keep in mind that if I resold it, it would not be shave-ready, as I don't yet have a hone, and even if I did, you wouldn't want me learning on your razor. And assume they'd be offered someplace like this board rather than eBay. (But don't assume I'm actually going to do this! This is just to sate my curiosity. I don't have the knowledge to pick the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.)

Okay, now just for kicks, because I shouldn't even be thinking this way, what would a razor like the one I pictured go for online? Keep in mind that if I resold it, it would not be shave-ready, as I don't yet have a hone, and even if I did, you wouldn't want me learning on your razor. And assume they'd be offered someplace like this board rather than eBay. (But don't assume I'm actually going to do this! This is just to sate my curiosity. I don't have the knowledge to pick the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.)

I'd have thought that whatever razor it is, even the cheapest one in good condition would be worth $20 to $30. If they've come from a collector he probably didn't have any crap (like Zeepk etc.). If the Dubl Duck and Henckels were in good condition they'd be worth a lot more, for example if the Dubl Duck was a mint Wonderedge - then you could probably get $300+ for it to the right buyer.

Regarding selling them, the best place would be on www.straightrazorplace.com , or on here, or possibly Ebay.

Unless you really know what you are buying I really think that on average you won't really make a lot of money selling the razors on ebay and very well could loose money. Many razors on ebay go for $10 or less. I have found that the razors that are trying to be sold in antique shops are usually listed at prices much higher than they usually sell for on ebay. There definately could be some gems in the pile that are popular brands that could sell for more like the dubl duck or henckels, but don't expect to just buy them all and make a fortune because you very well could be very dissapointed. FWIW the going price for a non-popular brand but clean and shave ready razor on the SRP is usually between $30-40. You could always write down the brand and models of the razors, then check the completed listings on ebay to see how the market values them and see what you would be likely to get for selling that razor before buying anything.

I'll have to mull this over. He has to be out of his current location by the end of the month, so I might not get a chance to get back there before he moves anyway.

If I were you I would purchase any razor that you really like without the intention of selling it to make a profit on ebay. Personally I don't mind paying a little more for a razor in an antique shop than I would on ebay because in the antique shop I get to hold the razor and really inspect it for damage before I buy it and this is definately worth something to me. Ebay is always a risk (sometimes more than other times) and I have heard of a lot of people being burned when they get a razor that is not as it was described. Also shipping charges on ebay must always be factored into the final purchase price. I can also tell you from personal experience that if you clean up a razor yourself, hone it to perfection yourself, and then get an absolutely BBS shave with it you will not be able to easily sell it to someone else. It would be almost like catching a fish yourself then selling the fish to someone else to eat rather than eating it yourself. I think that this is the reason that I have over 20 great shaving razors that I purchased at antique shops and have not been able to sell a single one :rolleyes:

Point well taken. Plus, I don't really want to be "in business." (I also, at this point, don't have the cash to tie up in buying things that I hope to sell later.)

If I were you I would purchase any razor that you really like without the intention of selling it to make a profit on ebay. Personally I don't mind paying a little more for a razor in an antique shop than I would on ebay because in the antique shop I get to hold the razor and really inspect it for damage before I buy it and this is definately worth something to me. Ebay is always a risk (sometimes more than other times) and I have heard of a lot of people being burned when they get a razor that is not as it was described. Also shipping charges on ebay must always be factored into the final purchase price. I can also tell you from personal experience that if you clean up a razor yourself, hone it to perfection yourself, and then get an absolutely BBS shave with it you will not be able to easily sell it to someone else. It would be almost like catching a fish yourself then selling the fish to someone else to eat rather than eating it yourself. I think that this is the reason that I have over 20 great shaving razors that I purchased at antique shops and have not been able to sell a single one :rolleyes:

Thanks! On our next trip up to the Cape, I'll have to make sure we run low on gas and then get lost in Branford. Then I'll stop and ask directions at the nearest antique store - and hey honey look at that! razors! :biggrin:

Jordan

Thanks! On our next trip up to the Cape, I'll have to make sure we run low on gas and then get lost in Branford. Then I'll stop and ask directions at the nearest antique store - and hey honey look at that! razors! :biggrin:

Jordan

Seems to me you've done this before...Hmmm, way to go!:thumbup1:

Bob, this razor is an absolutely superior shaver; and FWIW it was my favorate of three that you sent me. I think that you made a really good choice and will really love this one.

Bob, this razor is an absolutely superior shaver; and FWIW it was my favorate of three that you sent me. I think that you made a really good choice and will really love this one.

I'm happy to hear that. This means that if I mess up with a straight, it's my own fault and not the tool. :smile:

I wouldn't shave with that razor if I were you it will just tear your face up. Put it in a box and send it to me for disposal.:001_smile

I quite agree. In fact, tell me where he's moving to and I will send a garbage removal van around (just a small one) to remove what are obviously dangerous items. Go on. Tell me - you know you want to.....:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Top Bottom