What's new

GEM PTFE Coated Blades, Which Ones?

They arrived. Good news. I waited to post back until I had an opportunity to shave with them and they shave the same to me. Only thing I don't like (and it has no tangible impact) is that they no longer have "GEM" on the blade. I don't have a micrometer but did use a set of digital calipers I had handy and in that limited scope, they measured exactly the same in every dimension. I suspect Blackland will do a more thorough measurement inspection since they are working on a Sabre v2 and that razor will need to work with the best reliable source of GEM dimension/quality blades, which are these. The new blades have a significantly more pronounced stamping for the attaching/binding of the aluminum backer to the blade.

The only thing that really matters is how do they shave. I used the Level 1 plate just in case they were off but they shaved perfectly. It was the same smooth and consistent shave was expecting. I am a sample size of one so time will tell. Barring no changes to the blade and manufacturing, I'd say we are good to go.

Packaging
Screen Shot 2023-12-03 at 9.29.42 AM.png

Blackland Sabre LVL 1 Plate
Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 6.40.59 PM.png

No longer states GEM.
Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 6.41.10 PM.png

Both are still marked Stainless.
Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 6.46.06 PM.png

These 2 photos show the same dimension from tab notch to cutting edge.
Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 6.41.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-12-02 at 6.42.09 PM.png

I will confess, I haven't been to a CVS in quite some time. It's a shame if they've discontinued that.
emwolf

I agree. What chance do GEM style razors have to go become mainstream if the blades are not carried in stores?

It would be nice if there was a big advertising campaign to reintroduce them. Who would invest the time and money?

One negative would be, the price of both would increase. Sad.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I will confess, I haven't been to a CVS in quite some time. It's a shame if they've discontinued that.
I think it is marketing agreements that they sign for their whole sellers that benefit Accutec, In the States it is usually Hospitals sales and only a few retail outlet chains in the USA. In Europe there is Connaught shaving that is a main supplier of Gem blades is all I have found. Accutec makes all kinds of cutting edge blades for a lot of different industries I remember seeing magazine like scalpels to utility knife blades.....

Top Bottom