What's new

Dorco safety razor: £5 beast

I just wanted to write a quick review on this dorco safety razor that I picked up recently and have fallen in love with. I originally picked it up just for the
61a-600R3EL._AC_SX679_.jpg
storage case but have been blown away by its performance.

I'm a big fan of the Gillette razor heads such as the adjustable and the Tech and this razor shares that head design. The shave I get from it is amazing and very similar to my 1970s British tech which is (or at least was until now) go to razor. Loaded up with my go to bluebird blade it shaves like a dream. Its smooth and I never feel like I'm going to cut myself but I can still feel the blade on my skin (which I love due to having lighter stubble)

I had been looking at picking up a Gillette TTO since I wasnt a fan of having to take the razor apart and such to change the blade, wanting a quicker solution, but now? I don't think I need to!

For £5 ($6) its an absolute bargain! (Amazon link)

Highly recommend

Looks like the same razor as the Baili BR179.
Looking that one up it does look very similar, but mine did come with all the dorco leaflets and stuff so...

Another thing is that people describe the baili as aggressive yet its one of the mildest ive ever used

Looking that one up it does look very similar, but mine did come with all the dorco leaflets and stuff so...

Another thing is that people describe the baili as aggressive yet its one of the mildest ive ever used
Dorco or not, that razor is a Baili BR179/BD179. Those Bailis are very mild razors. Baili rebadges them under a huge number of brands. Tomorrow if you decide to start a "razor brand", they will make it with a branded box of your design, a leaflet and all.

Last edited:
Dorco or not, that razor is a Baili BR179/BD179. Those Bailis are very mild razors. Baili rebadges them under a huge number of brands. Tomorrow if you decide to start a "razor brand", they will make it with a branded box of your design, a leaflet and all.
It more just threw me because Dorco isnt just a "razor brand" like you described, they're a full on toiletries and shaving manufacturing company similar to your gillettes and wilkinson swords

It more just threw me because Dorco isnt just a "razor brand" like you described, they're a full on toiletries and shaving manufacturing company similar to your gillettes and wilkinson swords
The current Gillette DE razor is a custom made head by Muhle with a handle manufactured in China.
The former plastic Wilkinson Sword is a razor manufactured by Treet (without any modification. only the Wilkinson logo on the cap). The current metal TTO by Wilkinson is a WEISHI 9306-P.
So, Dorco aren't doing anything different.

I just wanted to write a quick review on this dorco safety razor that I picked up recently and have fallen in love with. I originally picked it up just for the View attachment 1604130storage case but have been blown away by its performance.

I'm a big fan of the Gillette razor heads such as the adjustable and the Tech and this razor shares that head design. The shave I get from it is amazing and very similar to my 1970s British tech which is (or at least was until now) go to razor. Loaded up with my go to bluebird blade it shaves like a dream. Its smooth and I never feel like I'm going to cut myself but I can still feel the blade on my skin (which I love due to having lighter stubble)

I had been looking at picking up a Gillette TTO since I wasnt a fan of having to take the razor apart and such to change the blade, wanting a quicker solution, but now? I don't think I need to!

For £5 ($6) its an absolute bargain! (Amazon link)

Highly recommend
If you have found a razor that gives you a great shave, and you are comfortable with all it's aspects

Result!

Excellent!

I have an identical razor marketed as a “Vie-Long” for the famous Spanish firm of horsehair shaving brush manufacturers.

Top Bottom