What's new

GEM Jr. (Damaskeene?) question (with pics)

The "bar" is the open rectangle on top of the razor, right? The smaller drawing next to the case doesn't have that feature. Is that the older design?
here look at this;

Attachments

• $books.jpg
    $books.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 146
No, the bar is the bit that I think Daryl was talking about -- it sits on top of the blade, and was the precursor to the 1912's flip-top lid -- but both frames in the ad's illustrations do have it:

$books.gif

I agree with MacDaddy about what the new bar is. That is the new addition, as the guard is present in previous models.
Perhaps the confusion comes from Gem lying about what the bar does.
They claim that it lifts hairs vertically ahead of the cutting edge like a barber does, yet the bar is behind the edge.
If it does anything at all, it would lift the skin ahead of it by pushing, instead of smoothing it down like a barber's hands stretching your skin.

I agree with MacDaddy about what the new bar is. That is the new addition, as the guard is present in previous models.
They claim that it lifts hairs vertically ahead of the cutting edge like a barber does, yet the bar is behind the edge.
If it does anything at all, it would lift the skin ahead of it by pushing, instead of smoothing it down like a barber's hands stretching your skin.

Amish, maybe you have to hold it upside.....and shave:lol:

That is the second time today that I've seen 'upside down' contracted to just 'upside'.
When did this happen and why does anybody think it makes any sense that way?

Yep, that's how I see it too. And to get that pushing action, which is beneficial in my case with razors, you'd have to use it at a rather low angle, as I do with it's 1912 descendants. Although the 1912 instructions seem to recommend doing otherwise.

I'm left wondering why the bar was added (greater security in holding the blade and/or positioning it flat against the lower plate?) and why they moved to a top cover later on.

Also, thanks to Porter for posting all the great ads. I collect images of these when I find them and they are very informative. But Porter's collection must be outstanding - he can post more anytime, I'd love to see them.

I wanted to revive this thread because it is a great lesson in early Gem razors and to see if anyone has anything more to add

MacDaddy, thanks for finding and posting those great ads!

On a side note, the Damaskeenes have the ugliest and rust-prone handles, IMHO...

Last edited:
Well, another mystery answered for me. That odd looking handle is one I picked up with a few other stray items. Mine is made of brass and it appears so does this one in the set.

i posted photos of it here on B&B but nobody responded with any ideas on its origin. Now I know.

The term Damaskeene is confusing and it's connection more to the blade than a given razor is the reason.

Top Bottom