What's new

Gas vs Electric Lawn maintenance tools

I buzz the place with a DR brush mower. It's the Pro 26 model, 14.5 hp. If I mow everything it's a couple of acres at least. Couldn't do that with an electric mower (although I see DR makes one). Ours is named "Matilda" because I don't steer it, I provide a firm lead and the lady follows through. The thing weighs about 450 pounds, so a little shrimp like me ain't gonna throw it around. "Waltzing Matilda" is spending six hours mowing flat space.

O.H.
Had to look that up! “Waltzing Matilda” sounds like either a large chore or a lovely afternoon! 😂

I love the Kombi! I've made extensive use of the wood saw blade, the 3 blade trimmer and used the pole chain saw for some really wild hedges and broken tree branches.

I was going to get that trimmer when I decided on the kombi.
If you are looking at eventually getting more than just a string trimmer, say a pole saw, an edger, a blower, a hedge trimmer etc, then the attachments are cheaper than separate gas powered tools, and you only have one engine unit to maintain.
That takes up less space too.
You can take the head off of the FS91R and put the circular wood saw or 3 blade brush trimmer blade on it with adapter kits.
That’s what I’m trying to figure out currently. We don’t have a ton of trees, plan on planting some. I know the upfront cost is more, but long term would be cheaper if I end up needing more tools. Need to find the break even point.

How’s the weight with the pole saw attachment? I’ve heard it can be quite unwieldy.

I looked at the instructions for replacing the line on the model you are considering on YouTube. It looked similar to a couple weed eaters I have had in the past. I bought the Dewalt system last year and all you have to do is spin the head, line up the holes, insert the new line and twist. I always found that the ones you have to remove tend to become more difficult to change as the unit ages. You might want to take a look at the model and see if they have upgraded.
There are some really nifty ways to load trimmer line now! I’ll need to do more research on that! Thank you for the advice! How’s the Dewalt system working for you? How much property are you maintaining?

I have the older FS90R. I have had it over 10 years. It has never needed a repair. I like the 4-Mix engine. You get the low end torque of a 4 stroke, but a lighter weight engine due to no oil crankcase. I run mine quite a bit with the Stihl brush knife on it. It does a great job on stuff up to about 1" thick.
Awesome! Glad to hear it is holding up well for you! That’s why I’m planning on getting a Stihl! 😃🤙

Gas for sure. I live on acreage in rural Colorado and gas powered tools are my goto’s. I do have some electric tools like chainsaws and blowers, but I keep those for small jobs which they are incredibly convenient for.

I felled, bucked, and limbed eight 60 foot + pines today due to pine beetle kill. I still have over 90 more to go. Gas chainsaws all the way (Stihl Pro saws for me). The same for string trimmers and mowers.

I will appreciate the day battery and electric technology catches up to gas. It ain’t easy maintaining piles of gas motors.
Sounds like a lot of work to do! Also, sounds like you’ve got the right tools for the job! 😃👍

Thanks for the advice, and good luck!

I've got gas, battery, and corded electric tools. For big trees, the gas chainsaw wins; for quick jobs, battery tools are nice; however, more and more, I find myself getting out the wagon and small generator to use the corded tools if it's going to take a while. The corded tools are lighter and quieter.

We are in the forest, a modest back lawn, mossy and heavily shaded with plenty of fern shoots. Brought our big gas lawnmower from our old place many years ago and it just refused to die. I would haul it out every spring and it always ran. I stopped taking care of it, or overwintering it, didn’t matter, the old Craftsman would fire right up. Gave it away last year and use a manual push mower now. A bit challenging with all the blowdown at times, but enjoy the process so much more. Actually letting half the back end go a little wild this year, wild flowers and mixed grasses, so I have even less to mow. The push mower does require regular cuts, but it’s a quick and fun job.
Had a craftsman push mower growing up! When the craftsman lawn mower was down, I used the push mower to mow our acre sized lawn.

The manual push mower sounds neat!

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That’s what I’m trying to figure out currently. We don’t have a ton of trees, plan on planting some. I know the upfront cost is more, but long term would be cheaper if I end up needing more tools. Need to find the break even point.

How’s the weight with the pole saw attachment? I’ve heard it can be quite unwieldy.
It's not unwieldy, it's a 10 inch chainsaw, and it's just the saw and the chain lube tank, so not really heavy.
The Kombi engine at the other end leverages it nicely.

What brand did you go with/are you using currently? Also, how big of property are you maintaining?

I used to use Black and Decker and now use Ego. The switch was just sort of gradual for several reasons over time.

There's about 0.5 acres of house property and then another 60 roughly elsewhere that is less maintained.

for me it depends on the size of the lot, no way could I use electric, it would take me twice as long for cutting grass. I do use an electric blower but that depends on the time of day because it’s quieter then my gas backpack one and I want to be a good neighbor. I am going retro tho, seems like these are way more bullet proof then what they are making now, let’s see if any of you remember cutting grass with one of these:

IMG_1699.jpegIMG_1654.jpeg

Larry

Live in NH, I have close 2.5 acres of grass w/ an irrigation system.My Craftsman (21 hp kohler engine) died 4 years ago. Lasted close to 22 years. I did all the maintenance and repairs over the years. It would take me about 4 hours plus a week. To cut/mulch, weed wracking and blowing...not including gas runs, prep, tweaks, maintenance, cleaning and putting away..
For the last 4 years..landscapers...60 a week / good price for around here...
Done...don't miss it at all...
Suggestion: flame thrower..
Good luck with grass cut..
1 acres...it should be a breeze.. want loose weight, get a 22 inch push. But most likely I go gas. I opt for an EFI engine...ethanol / carbs suck..
BFX

Echo SRM 226
Live on 5 1/2 mountainside acres. The gas Echo trimmer (and chainsaw, and blower) have been handling everything I’ve thrown at them for years. Repairs have been only new trimmer head for about $30 and gasket on chainsaw carburetor.

I live in the suburbs and use a gas lawnmower. I wouldn't mind electric, except from what I've seen, they don't last long (per charge).

My weed whacker is a corded electric. That's great, except the plastic strings keep breaking (I need to find a better one). I can possibly using a cordless weed whacker, but I'm not sure the battery life is sufficient to last for everything I need it to do.

I also use a corded hedge trimmer. I wouldn't mind trying out cordless ones, but I fear their motors just aren't up to snuff.

About the only cordless tools I have are my Milwaukee power drill and reciprocating saw.

If cordless yard tools can improve their battery lives (last beyond an hour per charge) while powering motors comparable in power/torque to those of gas motors or even corded electric motors, then I'd consider switching. Until then, I'll stick with what's worked for me in the past.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Gas powered Toro mower and for edging/weed whacking I use a battery operated edger.

I live in the suburbs and use a gas lawnmower. I wouldn't mind electric, except from what I've seen, they don't last long (per charge).

My weed whacker is a corded electric. That's great, except the plastic strings keep breaking (I need to find a better one). I can possibly using a cordless weed whacker, but I'm not sure the battery life is sufficient to last for everything I need it to do.

I also use a corded hedge trimmer. I wouldn't mind trying out cordless ones, but I fear their motors just aren't up to snuff.

About the only cordless tools I have are my Milwaukee power drill and reciprocating saw.

If cordless yard tools can improve their battery lives (last beyond an hour per charge) while powering motors comparable in power/torque to those of gas motors or even corded electric motors, then I'd consider switching. Until then, I'll stick with what's worked for me in the past.
Here is a tip for wackier string, if it’s over a year old, beginning if the season drop the whole spool in a bucket of water for about half the day and it’s good as new for a year. The string absorbs water and that’s what gives its strength back.

Larry

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Battery technology is advancing to where the gap between electric and gas is diminishing. Battery voltage and amp/hr ratings greatly effect the power and running time. My Kobalt 80 V 3.0 Amp/hr battery gives me almost an hours run time, 45 min if I use the self propelled function, which is about as long as I care to/need to use the push mower. I noticed a TV ad where Stihl has a mower with dual batteries, that could be a game changer.

Gas mower with corded trimmer for me. I love my corded Kobalt trimmer. It doesn't have the range of gas, but every time I pull the trigger it runs. No extra type of fuel to keep around either. If you go this route make sure you get one with the head and motor on opposite ends. They balance well compared to the cheaper units that place them together---your arms will thank you.

I did recently get a gas trimmer for use at my folks' where there is lots of fence line where my extension cord either can't reach or gets caught on the fence too often.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
If by electric you mean battery I switched years ago and it's been great for me, but I have less property and I'm not good with small motor repairs. Other than sharpening the mower blade I have had zero maintenance over the past 5-6 seasons. When I added the leaf blower I opted for the same battery as the mower (EGO), which is a bit of a beast for a blower (765 CFM) 5.0Ah, but it has a strap and gives me an extra battery.

I no longer need ear protection because the noise level (especially the mower) is about half the level of the gas. But for your lot you might need a handful of batteries, and they ain't cheap. You could buy a ton of ear protection for the price of one battery and just live with the smell.

There are some really nifty ways to load trimmer line now! I’ll need to do more research on that! Thank you for the advice! How’s the Dewalt system working for you? How much property are you maintaining?

I have a typical suburban lot of around 1/4 acre. The Dewalt system allows me to weed eat around everything, do all the edging and then use the blower. It takes about 1/2 hour to do it all and the battery has never dropped to 1/4. It replaced a Kobalt system, so I have all the tools that adapt to the power head. It came down between Stihl and the Dewalt unit. The reasons I chose Dewalt were price and if I want to get a new Dewalt tool I will have the charger and battery.

What brand did you go with/are you using currently? Also, how big of property are you maintaining?

I realized I kind of lied before. I have used BD, Toro, and Ego. I still have some BD corded equipment (that I do use), but the rest is Ego now.

Top Bottom