What's new

G5C vs Muhle STF?

Has anybody tried both, that can share the differences between these two? Is there a definite winner? Seems like the G5C can be found for a lot cheaper

Unrelated, i have a 24mm Yaqi Tuxedo Synthetic. When i add water while face lathering, and try to splay the brush, it feels like it doesnt want to. Feels like that the hairs in the middle are kind of stuck together when damp. Simply not enough water in the brush? Or is it time for a proper clean? I try to clean it well with warm water after a shave, but im guessing soap and/or water deposit buildup

IMHO, the G5C and STF are both great knots. While some might argue the STF is better, I think they're just subtly different. Besides one being a bulb and the other a fan, the tips are equally soft. But scrubbing-wise -- you're going to feel the fibers more with the G5C. I tend to just swap between the two for variety. But if I'm trying to tackle a hard soap, I'll choose the G5C. So what I'm saying is you need to get both. :)

full

When i add water while face lathering, and try to splay the brush, it feels like it doesnt want to.
I had that too until I started the splay on my chin instead of my cheek. Worked miracles doing it that way.

Regarding your other question I have both - bought both knots I should say and they will be set in two wooden handles my dad turned on his lathe. Based on hand feel I would say the STF is the softer one, but they were very similar.

I had that too until I started the splay on my chin instead of my cheek. Worked miracles doing it that way.
I start on my chin as well, but a lot of the middle part of the brush is stuck together and often is doesnt splay from the middle. Splays from ''outside the middle'' if you get what i mean. I've recently used shampoo to try to clean it, and i'm 50-50 on whether it helped. I don't have a cleansing shampoo, so maybe i'll try dish soap

I start on my chin as well, but a lot of the middle part of the brush is stuck together and often is doesnt splay from the middle. Splays from ''outside the middle'' if you get what i mean. I've recently used shampoo to try to clean it, and i'm 50-50 on whether it helped. I don't have a cleansing shampoo, so maybe i'll try dish soap
I'd also try to run a comb gently through it while cleaning it. And perhaps soak it in some diluted vinegar.

Weird that it won’t splay. It is a synthetic brush so I would assume that shampoo or vinegar is not really necessary.

How are you building your lather in the bowl? By splaying as well? Or more gently with just dipping the tips? I use this method when I bowl lather. This helps to keep the lather higher up the brush. Also works when I face lather by the way.

I’ll pay extra attention to my Yaqi Lucky Dice next time it come up in rotation to see if it does something similar to yours.

Cheers,

Guido

Weird that it won’t splay. It is a synthetic brush so I would assume that shampoo or vinegar is not really necessary.

How are you building your lather in the bowl? By splaying as well? Or more gently with just dipping the tips? I use this method when I bowl lather. This helps to keep the lather higher up the brush. Also works when I face lather by the way.

I’ll pay extra attention to my Yaqi Lucky Dice next time it come up in rotation to see if it does something similar to yours.

Cheers,

Guido
I do also splay a bit in the bowl to agitate. Do you think cold water would affect the bristles in such a way? I can't for the life of me use warm/hot water when shaving. I get very bad redness and irritation

I do also splay a bit in the bowl to agitate. Do you think cold water would affect the bristles in such a way? I can't for the life of me use warm/hot water when shaving. I get very bad redness and irritation
I am a strictly cold shaver so that should not be the issue. And I don’t think my Yaqi doesn’t splay in the middle, but sometimes clumping can happen. It sort of happened this morning with my Simpson T3 - at least visually, but painting wise it was working fine.

I am a strictly cold shaver so that should not be the issue. And I don’t think my Yaqi doesn’t splay in the middle, but sometimes clumping can happen. It sort of happened this morning with my Simpson T3 - at least visually, but painting wise it was working fine.
I have realized my issue. I used to shake all excess water out of the brush before going to pick up some soap with my brush. I've recently started squeezing the brush, no shaking, leaving more water in it (same amount of product, measured into a bowl). Now using the brush on my face feels fine.... Splaying, doing circles and agitating well, multiple times. I guess it leaves a thicker layer of soap in the bristles, protecting my face better. Maybe before, the bristles inside were dry/no soap on them?

I have realized my issue. I used to shake all excess water out of the brush before going to pick up some soap with my brush. I've recently started squeezing the brush, no shaking, leaving more water in it (same amount of product, measured into a bowl). Now using the brush on my face feels fine.... Splaying, doing circles and agitating well, multiple times. I guess it leaves a thicker layer of soap in the bristles, protecting my face better. Maybe before, the bristles inside were dry/no soap on them?
Ah! That I can relate to. I squeeze too. And before I do I dip the brush in a couple of times as well in addition to letting it soak for a couple of minutes.

Cheers!

Guido

Top Bottom