What's new

Fruitcake

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The bride cake recipe is from 1769 and must have been some cake.

Holy manoly. They made a quarter batch and it was over five pounds. Beat 32 egg yolks for at least 30 minutes. I'd use my commercial mixer with the big whisk.

I'd try that. :)

I have a fruitcake and pudding cookbook published about 20 years ago by the Australian Women's Weekly. Lovely book! Apparently the magazine used to get a lot of traffic about its own fruitcake recipe, which I've tried. Wasn't the best I ever had but I did walk around talking in a fake Oz accent for a while (with apologies to our Australian members). There is a Marsala-infused pistachio cake in there that is just ace. I'm not so much on puddings as fruitcakes, but they're not off my menu. :) There's also a Cointreau-infused orange cake that's good. No bride cakes but there is a nice looking groom cake.

I'm gonna save that recipe to my files! Never know when one of the neighbours will have a spare bucket of eggs they need to get rid of.

O.H.

Old Hippie

I would happily trade you some Italian fruitcake (Panettone - also in season here) for some Nanaimo bars you can get in Canadian Costco. Deal?

Looking at the shipping I'm going to say no, but thank you for the offer. I would happily pick up the ingredients that you may not have where you are, and send those. They are much less delicate and prone to spoilage as unrefrigerated Nanaimo bars would be.

I've been working toward a batch of panettone. Looks like a real treat, though again I'm not sure how well it would ship this far.

Drop a PM if you want to have me pick up some custard powder for you!

O.H.

When I was young, more than fifty years ago, a big treat at Christmas time was fruit cake from A & P. (Does this supermarket chain still exist?)

Currently, I always look forward to visiting France, where I buy "cake anglais" in Monoprix.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
... and please do remember what Stewie said about Whip-Toppings;

proxy.php
"[Please] Cut my [fruit cake] into four pieces, I don’t think I could eat eight." Yogi Berra

Looking at the shipping I'm going to say no, but thank you for the offer. I would happily pick up the ingredients that you may not have where you are, and send those. They are much less delicate and prone to spoilage as unrefrigerated Nanaimo bars would be.

I've been working toward a batch of panettone. Looks like a real treat, though again I'm not sure how well it would ship this far.

Drop a PM if you want to have me pick up some custard powder for you!

O.H.
Very kind of you! In reality there is no chance of anything extra-EU shipping into Italy in the general post, and I mentioned it solely "tongue and cheek"!

That said, I have very fond memories of trying my first "bars" in BC. I was so enamoured with them that someone told me I could buy them in Costco anywhere in Canada.🇨🇦

Here's hoping someday you will enjoy a Panettone or Pandoro in its home turf.

Old Hippie

I have very fond memories of trying my first "bars" in BC. I was so enamoured with them that someone told me I could buy them in Costco anywhere in Canada.

Here in B.C. at least, you can't have a meeting without including the Nanaimo bars. Well, you can but I'm not gonna be there for long. :)

O.H.

Old Hippie

That was a 21lb cake!
It says it would have produced 192 pieces, 2 1/4 inch tall, 3 inches long and 3/4 inch wide for each piece.

Mrs. Hippie and I were talking about wedding traditions this morning, referencing that cake. I'm more used to the "wedding cake" but this is a "bride cake" and I have recipes for "groom cake." My incomplete understanding was that the bride cake was eaten at the reception following while the groom cake was distributed in pieces that the guests would take home. She remembered weddings on the Prairies where the guests were presented with a small wrapped piece of cake next their plates at the reception, with the intent they would take that home. Evidently that was the only "cake" at the event but people did have noshies.

Anybody have the straight of it?

O.H.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Mrs. Hippie and I were talking about wedding traditions this morning, referencing that cake. I'm more used to the "wedding cake" but this is a "bride cake" and I have recipes for "groom cake." My incomplete understanding was that the bride cake was eaten at the reception following while the groom cake was distributed in pieces that the guests would take home. She remembered weddings on the Prairies where the guests were presented with a small wrapped piece of cake next their plates at the reception, with the intent they would take that home. Evidently that was the only "cake" at the event but people did have noshies.

O.H.
I had read that the Wedding Cake was served at the wedding reception to the guests, that the Grooms cake was served to the groomsmen and the Brides cake was served to the bridesmaids.
This may have evolved from tradition between from as far back as that original recipe, and current tradition where there really is no Groom or Brides cake at all.

O.H.
The old custom was that the bride would hold the wedding ring and the groom would pass a tiny portion of bride cake through the ring. Each of these portions would be given to a bridesmaid who would place them in an envelope. When the envelope was placed under her pillow the bridesmaid would dream of her future husband.
I‘ve also read that in certain parts of England in the 18th century, a race was held for the bride cake as soon as the bride had left for her new home. The cake was placed on a pole and young men competed on horseback to reach the pole first and knock the cake down.

When I was young, more than fifty years ago, a big treat at Christmas time was fruit cake from A & P. (Does this supermarket chain still exist?)

Currently, I always look forward to visiting France, where I buy "cake anglais" in Monoprix.
My grandfather worked for A&P as a butcher. I have found memories of going to meet him there a few times when we visited. As far as I am aware, none of the stores are open today.

O.H.

Here’s what info I have on the bride cake, and a few more fruit cake recipes.

Attachments

• 9E7F942A-5DAD-44F8-837B-03933D83D307-8810-00000107AC1DF212 2.jpg
    9E7F942A-5DAD-44F8-837B-03933D83D307-8810-00000107AC1DF212 2.jpg
    921.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5975 2.jpg
    IMG_5975 2.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5976.jpg
    IMG_5976.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5966 2.jpg
    IMG_5966 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5964 2.jpg
    IMG_5964 2.jpg
    927.3 KB · Views: 2

Old Hippie

I‘ve also read that in certain parts of England in the 18th century, a race was held for the bride cake as soon as the bride had left for her new home. The cake was placed on a pole and young men competed on horseback to reach the pole first and knock the cake down.

Aye...*sniffle*...a good lad he was; excellent equestrian whether riding to the hounds or on the battlefield. But he hasn't been the same since that 20-pound bride cake landed on his head last summer.

Got what he deserved for molesting a fruitcake, I say.

O.H.

Top Bottom