What's new

Fruit in your Blue moon or as is?

You are right. Its fairly looked down upon in Belgium. The whole orange thing is a marketing ploy by Miller Coors (owners of blue moon). The beer "stands out" at a bar or event since there is a large orange slice hanging on the side of the glass. Tends go get everyone asking "woa, what is that??? Is it good??? OK I'll try a sip....oh, yea that is good." Obviously its going to be good with or without the orange. Even though Blue Moon is made by Miller Coors, its still a decent, if not rather uninspired Wit. Witbeirs are very light, refreshing and tasty, so they are a good "starter drug" for people who think they only like macro lager.

You would never find an Ommegang Wit, Allagash Witte, Avery White Rascal or even Hoegaarden (another now large conglomerate owned brand) served with orange.

That being said, just like spirits, its your beer. You paid for it, so you can do with it what you will. I have to admit, nothing says "vacation" to me like the slightly light struck taste of Corona out of glass bottles with a lime wedge shoved down into the bottle. I guess thats the only way to make Corona drinkable...

Go ahead and throw a chunk of anything in. If no orange is handy, try a shrimp, can't hurt any. No offense, but I find Blue Moon so far off base from a Belgian Wit beer... I can't stand it. Try a good Craft brewed Wit, forget the Coors products.

My wife likes blue moon a lot and it seems like nearly every place you order it includes the orange slice. I'll have one every now and then and I just put the fruit off to the side. I like oranges and I like beer. I just don't want oranges in my beer. Actually, a lot of places I've been will do a lemon or an orange on the rim for draft hefeweizens as well. That annoys me more for some reason.

I've been to a few bars in Belgium that keep syrup on hand to add to the beer during the pour. One of my favorite, Belgian fruit flavored beers available in the U.S. is Raspberry Lambic.
Fruit in beer is really old school stuff throughout Europe but, don't expect flavored beer in the trendy bars that play trance and house music.
Blue Moon with a squished slice of orange ROCKS! Weiss beer with 4-5 slices of lemon ROCKS HARD!!!
$images.jpg

Last edited:
I've had Blue Moon a few times and really enjoyed it with the orange. As for lime in Corona the citrus helps the beer not taste like *** becasue the clear bottle allows UV rays to ruin the beer. That is one of the main reasons I avoid beers that have clear bottles except for Sleeman's. I have a few rules in life, number one is don't eat hot dogs that my best friend that is a butcher didn't make and number two is if you like something, you do it the way you like.

Go ahead with the orange if you like it. Personally, I think it could only improve a very poor example of the style. There are a lot of great wit beers out there and I'm sure that once you give them a try you won't be buying Blue Moon anymore. For starters, pick up some Hoegaarden (grab a hoe). Still a good example of the style: http://beeradvocate.com/lists/style/48 This summer I attended the Asheville Beer Fest (again) and tried a wit by Mother Earth Brewing called Weeping Willow Wit. Went through a couple cases while the weather was still warm. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/21193/53987 Definitely give this one a try.

I don't add fruit because I don't think it enhances the taste of a good beer, and orange (or lemon) will kill the head that I hope you have poured carefully to create. But, as with shaving and pretty much everything in life, YMMV. You should feel free to do your own thing. I enjoy wit's and IPA's, but not "sour" beers like American Wild Ales. Sláinte!

I've been to a few bars in Belgium that keep syrup on hand to add to the beer during the pour. One of my favorite, Belgian fruit flavored beers available in the U.S. is Raspberry Lambic.
Fruit in beer is really old school stuff throughout Europe but, don't expect flavored beer in the trendy bars that play trance and house music.
Blue Moon with a squished slice of orange ROCKS! Weiss beer with 4-5 slices of lemon ROCKS HARD!!!

IMO, its hard to find a decent lambic in the US. Lindeman's Lambics are a far cry from what a real lambic should taste like. They are a good dessert beer though, and a nice step in to the world of sour beer.

With the orange slice. It seems to bring out the flavor so much more. I think the acid in the peel, more so than the juice of the pulp, is the reason for the great taste. I may have to do a rind only twist to see.

I love Blue Moon and have always been served it with an orange slice. I have also always been served Coronas with lime. Those are the only two beers that I have had with fruit. All other beers are non-fruity.

Top Bottom