What's new

From DE to straight. What should be expected?

So a couple of days ago I posted a thread in the general forum about why I no longer shave ATG. This got some good responses from fellow members who also stated that shaving is generally smoother with a straight razor.

The obvious follow up question over here in the SR forum is how much smoother SR shaving is compared to shaving with a DE razor.

More specifically what difference did you experience after you transitioned from a DE razor to a straight?

There is no single answer to that. Not all DE blades are the same; not all DE razors are the same. Straights and their edges are all different too. And then DE to straight is even more apple to orange comparison. And everyone’s preferences vary even more.

You should just try it for yourself if you are curious.

I would tend to agree. There’s a lot of potential with straights but a lot of work to get there too.

I made the DE/straight switch a couple years ago. You can get sublime shaves with a straight. You can also get a dog **** shave, especially if you hone your own razor poorly, or are experimenting with finishing stones and find a dud. Or like yesterday you shave immediately after bicep day in the gym and your arms are twitchy like someone stuck a battery in your ear. Not the greatest time for a straight shave.

The effort has been worth it for me. I get to use family razors from relatives long passed. I have them in my grandfathers old pocket knife display box. I get to chill out honing razors once or twice a week for some alone time. When I get a better shave than a DE I smile. That’s the norm rather than the exception now but it took a couple years to get there.

If you make the switch expect it to take a while to learn to hone. Expect it to take a while to re learn muscle memory holding a new razor in new hand positions. Expect OK shaves initially. Expect to use the straight on some parts of your face and the DE on others while you learn the ropes. Expect to spend money on razors and stones figuring out what you like. Expect to be proud of your work when you start hitting on all cylinders.

IMG_2380.jpeg

Last edited:
I shave with a DE on occasion but normally shave with a straight. Most straight edges won't be as sharp as a DE but can be more smooth. You will enjoy the extra control you get with the straight - however some passes might be harder to do.

There are a lot of "cons" with straight razor shaving though. Will probably want ~250$ budget for a shave ready straight of good quality and a strop. Will probably be sending the razor off to others as you figure out what edge you like. Buying the stones your eventually keep your razor in shape will probably be another 150-200$ on the low end (this varies a lot depending on what edge you end up liking).

All of that with the learning curve might not be worth it just to be able to shave ATG. However If you think straights are cool maybe. If you want to get addicted to buying stones a stronger maybe. As a side note - if you don't want to stick to it. Any quality items you get should have good resale value as long as they stay in good condition.

I'm primarily a DE shaver, and mix in some shaves with various open-blade AC razors (shavettes). I've "dabbled" in SR shaving, and still VERY much a n00b.

There's lots of good info in the previous posts, but as a raw novice I can add my limited experience:

You absolutely should not expect a result anywhere close to your typical DE shaves...at first. I've never gotten close, but I lack experience with a straight razor. I'm told there is a level of "stick-to-it-iveness" required to get a great shave. You MUST persevere to achieve success...your first shaves will be crappy, but that is expected and OK.

Also, I find the SR much less irritating to my skin. After several passes with a SR my face usually feels great, which is not always the case with a DE.

Last point on shaving with a SR: I find that after getting past the trepidation of using a straight razor and learning how to properly grip the razor, it feels completely safe. I have yet to cut myself with a SR, but have a few scars from using some of my shavettes.

If you can't properly sharpen your SR, buy yourself a decent razor, honed by someone that knows what they are doing. I've purchased razors from members here, and had razors honed by members here (Doc and others). I've also purchased a razor from Griffith which is shave ready...so, I KNOW that my sub-par shaves are my fault, and can be corrected with practice.

Good luck. 🙂👍

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I think you are drawn to it…or not. Straight razor shaving that is. If you are drawn to it, you will take on all that is required with enjoyment and curiosity. If not, you will put the razor down and move on. I was drawn to it, but didn’t take to it right away. It has been a decades long journey. I wasn’t ready before. Then, when I was ready, everything fell into place. Great shaves every day now and learned much along the way. To the last question, one thing I experienced along the way was patience.

If you want to do it, I think it’s helpful to commit. To branch off @silverlifter, imagine a time when you only had a straight. You would get good (eventually!). Now shaving feels more like a ritual I look forward to rather than a routine task.

When I changed over I just pretended DEs didn’t exist any more. I settled for less perfect shaves for a while. Eventually I HAD to get better. If I ever absolutely needed to not use a straight, I’d use my Mach 3 or whatever in a pinch. Enough to get the job done but also annoy me enough to get back to the straights. By taking out the compromise middle ground, it got better.

There was a time when a straight was the only option. If you prepare yourself with that mentality then shaving is just shaving, not “shaving with a straight”, and it becomes calming. @Ravenonrock said it well.

But if that doesn’t sound appealing, then consider strongly sticking with DEs. It’s can be a money pit if you’re not fairly interested in it.

Expect blood.

Trying to quantify differences experienced by different people, across different times, using different gear, with different levels of proficiency....
Impossible to do with any real accuracy.

Lotta people try straights and don't like it. Some swear DEs are smoother.
I remember someone saying his Mach 3 was smoother. All kinds of opinions out there.

Personally, I think anyone having ATG problems with a DE, they're probably going to have ATG issues with a straight too.
Straights aren't magic.
But they do have a way of making the user focus much more intently on the shave technique. That focus can lead to a lot of success in overcoming user-error related hurdles.

I had 10 Filarmonicas and numerous other straight razors over the course of time but for a person like me with coarse hair coming out from different directions straights are out of the question and I sold them all. Too much maintenance (stones, strops, etc.)

It's always a good thing acknowledge what simply does not work. What do you use now? DE's ?

I had 10 Filarmonicas and numerous other straight razors over the course of time but for a person like me with coarse hair coming out from different directions straights are out of the question and I sold them all.
If I had one cent each time someone said it has coarse hair growing in all directions (or blade sensitivity) and whatever straight razor doesn't work, I'd be reach by now.

Truth is, a straight razor which is not honed correctly on proper stones won't cut well, no matter if it's a Filarmonica or a $5 generic Solingen. Hair thickness won't make a big difference as long as the beard is prepared before shave. If the straight razor (or DE blade) is sharp enough, it will cut like a hot knife through butter.

If straight razors or Filarmonicas in particular were not able to cut coarse hair, I can guarantee you nobody would have bough them in the last 200 years. Yet, the situation is completely different.

If I had one cent each time someone said it has coarse hair growing in all directions (or blade sensitivity) and whatever straight razor doesn't work, I'd be reach by now.

Truth is, a straight razor which is not honed correctly on proper stones won't cut well, no matter if it's a Filarmonica or a $5 generic Solingen. Hair thickness won't make a big difference as long as the beard is prepared before shave. If the straight razor (or DE blade) is sharp enough, it will cut like a hot knife through butter.

If straight razors or Filarmonicas in particular were not able to cut coarse hair, I can guarantee you nobody would have bough them in the last 200 years. Yet, the situation is completely different.
If someone was struggling to go against the grain with a DE, I don't think a straight razor is going to be the solution. I'm sure it is not always the straight razors fault when it comes to sharpness problems - but it also may not be worth all the effort/maintenance for someone that is just as happy with DE shaving. On the flip side of the coin, there's a reason most people aren't shaving with a straight now days.

I think straights are a great option for the best shaves and a fun hobby. However if someone is not into the hobby and just wants better shaves, usually DE wins out IMO.

There is a learning curve when going from DE to a straight. First, you won't know what a well honed straight is like and will be reliant on someone else's opinion that your razor is shave ready. This may or may not be the case. Many people advertise a straight they are selling as shave ready but are often as dull as a well used pocket knife.

You will take a while to get proficient with using a straight. This takes time, patience and practice. There are no short cuts and reading forums and watching videos can only do so much. You have to do it. The shave will not be great at the start. When starting your main objectives should be removing lather while keeping blood inside the skin. Close shaves will come eventually.

Learning to maintain your straight(s) is something you will want to investigate. Learning to strop is important, and learning to touch up the edge when required is a very handy skill to obtain. Sending out the razor for a refresh can be costly and time consuming. When you learn how to maintain your razor, you can finish it to your liking constantly.

You should notice rapid improvement over your first dozen or so shaves in both technique and results. Your improvement will probably plateau, but your shaves still aren't as constantly good as what you expect. Keep at it and you will begin improving again. This cycle repeats a few times (in my experience) until the improvement is barely noticeable.

I would advise against complacency. I, and I suspect most straight users, have experienced the results of complacency and still have the scar(s) to prove it.

I believe it is worth it if it's something you want to do.

The obvious follow up question over here in the SR forum is how much smoother SR shaving is compared to shaving with a DE razor.
In my opinion it's not any smoother then a DE razor.
More specifically what difference did you experience after you transitioned from a DE razor to a straight?
I started with straight razors before i started with DE razors. In my opinion, shaving with a DE razor is a little more forgiving in terms of lather quality and face prep.
They both have a learning curve. So, if you are having issues with DE razors you probably have a few stairs to climb to get proficient. Switching to a straight razor will probably not be easier, or a solution to the underlying problem.
I use both DE's and straight razors today.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I made that transition years ago. Then slipped back to DE and single-edge razors.

If you ask me today what type of shaver I am, I would answer DE. It's been a while since I used a straight razor. I could get back into it. The learning curve would probably be shorter.

Since you already used a DE, you are aware of a lot of things already (prep, lather, blade angle, etc). That's a good plus.

I loved shaving with straight razors but the stropping and honing made me take an easier route (DE razors).

I exclusively shaved with straight razors for a solid 5 years and then picked up(again) a DE razor for fun. I was amazed at how I was on autopilot with the DE.

When I first used a straight razor, it took me around 70-80 shaves to have a decent shave.

Give it a try and see how you go. Keep in mind that it takes patience and some focus to accomplish the shaves. Like anything, YMMV!

This is coming from a person who has used a straight his whole life. SR shaving is not a magic wand or panacea for a good shave. There are reasons it went the way of the horse and buggy when Gillette brought the DE to the market.

Don’t expect spectacular shaves when you first start using one.

If you have just given up ATG passes with your DE razor(s), you should IMO not look at straight razors as a means to get smoother shaves.

While straight shaves may ultimately be smother and less irritating, the path there is long and arduous.
If you no longer have the stomach for ATG DE razor passes, don’t look at straight razors as an alternative.

Anyone telling you otherwise is doing you a disservice and is ignoring how long it takes to come to grips with straight razors.

Of course, the choice is entirely yours…

B.

All points made are valid above. To me, a straight razor is like having the ultimate shaving weapon. It can be the best in my opinion and be the worst if not properly used. I think developing the proper technique is as important as the shape of the edge of the straight razor and the quality of the razor itself. In regards in learning and using a straight razor. Shave at times when you are least distracted. Take your time to learn. I shaved at night for many years due waking up at the crack of dawn for work. That was 40 years ago. You also have many visuals online like YouTube. Also honing your blade. There are a few members here on this forum that have a multitude videos on online to help. The help is there, if you take the time to learn. You will get there even against the grain. All the best.

Top Bottom