What's new

French Chopper circa 1874 - Douris!

Gents,

This razor is unique in that it is a big French Chopper manufactured in or around Thiers circa 1874...it also does not have a tail!

I love the little box strop that it came in, and when I taped the hollowed our handle something fell out which I assume is some sort of strop paste from over a century ago!

The digital document was original paperwork from when the maker essentially copywrited his mark!

I am truly blessed to be adding this to the collection, and it will be fun to use without the tail!

Vr

Matt
91DCCB8A-4DA0-48D9-A9B1-5FFD240B8069.jpeg
8C31B3D4-1A92-4B1F-A0EA-ED31E77A0333.jpeg
CCD23203-7BEC-4E9A-A05E-8D65EFF2901C.jpeg
E283CA6C-913D-473A-972E-72B49D1932B4.jpeg
43C00183-4812-48B5-809B-19D50D08D55F.jpeg
78DB662F-AD2C-48DC-9E63-180BF32AB686.jpeg
0A0B9879-C8E6-4E5D-B334-E189B0B1C726.jpeg
DF4F6686-7036-4AEB-BAE5-1F0CFC6F6000.jpeg

I was close! It's great that you were able to get such a narrow window of when it was made. I only have one razor from that time period and it seems to me that the steel from the early to mid 1800's has a special feel to it when shaving.

Reactions: CCR
I was close! It's great that you were able to get such a narrow window of when it was made. I only have one razor from that time period and it seems to me that the steel from the early to mid 1800's has a special feel to it when shaving.

I agree, and it isn’t something that I can explain...has to be experienced!

Vr

Matt

@Matt O Recently I also acquired a Douris, although not in such a pristine condition I am afraid - judging by what is left from the blade, it could easily pass for the (grand)father of yours. After searching through the forums here I tried to find out more about the maker and brand.

Upon searching, I came across an exhibition piece kept in the Museum of Macon in France. So, I contacted both the Museum and the cultural website. Unfortunately, they did not know much about the razor either but directed me to the Gallica online database. And there I found a catalog of the Industrial Museum printed in 1836 referencing a knife maker called Douris-Fumeaux from the Puy-de-Dome region of Thiers. According to the record, the maker received an "honorable mention" already in 1823. Which means that they must have established their business even before 1823. The records also mention that in 1834 they were producing "100 dozen knives, 30 dozen razors and 36 dozen of various penknives" per week (p358-359).

Provided that they are one and the same, our razors might date back even further than 1874 - but it is hard to tell based on such limited information.

@Matt O Recently I also acquired a Douris, although not in such a pristine condition I am afraid - judging by what is left from the blade, it could easily pass for the (grand)father of yours. After searching through the forums here I tried to find out more about the maker and brand.

Upon searching, I came across an exhibition piece kept in the Museum of Macon in France. So, I contacted both the Museum and the cultural website. Unfortunately, they did not know much about the razor either but directed me to the Gallica online database. And there I found a catalog of the Industrial Museum printed in 1836 referencing a knife maker called Douris-Fumeaux from the Puy-de-Dome region of Thiers. According to the record, the maker received an "honorable mention" already in 1823. Which means that they must have established their business even before 1823. The records also mention that in 1834 they were producing "100 dozen knives, 30 dozen razors and 36 dozen of various penknives" per week (p358-359).

Provided that they are one and the same, our razors might date back even further than 1874 - but it is hard to tell based on such limited information.
Wow! That is incredible! Can you post pics of yours?

I have said it before, and I will say it again…some of the best money I have spent in shaving…was on my Douris!

The steel, edge, shaves, rarity, coolness…all at the top of the pyramid!

Congrats on finding one, and have a great weekend!

Vr

Matt

PS. I have no clue what edge is but on mine…I will rehone and use it next!

@Matt O Here are the pics of the original listing. The main issue I see is that the blade has reached an >22° angle over the decades of honing - looks almost like a reverse teardrop. Correcting the geometry back to around 17° would require removing a lot of steel. I am hesitant to think it would be worth the effort.

Douris-01.jpg
Douris-02.jpg
Douris-03.jpg

Douris-04.jpg
Douris-05.jpg

Incredible! I have never seen another!

Congrats…I bet it’s going to make an awesome shaver!

@Matt O Here are the pics of the original listing. The main issue I see is that the blade has reached an >22° angle over the decades of honing - looks almost like a reverse teardrop. Correcting the geometry back to around 17° would require removing a lot of steel. I am hesitant to think it would be worth the effort.

View attachment 1836132 View attachment 1836133 View attachment 1836134
View attachment 1836135 View attachment 1836136
The next razor you need to acquire is a SCARGILL! They have amazing steel as well, and are pretty neat!

I will probably shave again Monday or Tuesday…I have a feeling it’s going to be spectacular! HHT was brilliant, and this is one of my top two finishing coticules!

The rub stone I used is extremely smooth/fine/pure, and on the rough cut back at the top…someone along the way scratched in “ACE.” It came in an old dopp bag with another coticule, and some abused/neglected razors in a lot on eBay.
IMG_1359.jpeg
IMG_1360.jpeg
IMG_1362.jpeg
IMG_1363.jpeg
IMG_1365.jpeg
IMG_1366.jpeg
IMG_1367.jpeg
IMG_1370.jpeg
IMG_1372.jpeg

Yes Sir...likely made between 1815-1820. Thomas Scargill died young in 1825, and his later razors were marked with a “T” in front of his last name.

This razor provided me with the best shave I have ever had, and is the new king of my collection!

Vr

Matt
View attachment 1145711View attachment 1145712

Matt, it often takes many experienced straight razor users by surprise if they have never used one, just how well those early stubtail razors shave.

Top Bottom