What's new

Free At Last, Free At Last...

Monday was my last day of work, as I'm using up my last bit of vacation before the official end of August termination date thanks to the good ol' downsize-palooza. I've got a nice two year severance package where those idiots at Head Office pay me to never show up and do anything ever.
Most of us have fantasized about killing our boss...wait, I mean what we'd do once we're deemed redundant by our professional betters and moral superiors.
Today, the first of my enforced retirement, I washed the windows on the front of the house at 7am, fixed a loose rain barrel downspout at 8am, sanded down a couple of "sticky" doorjambs at 10am and vacuumed the house at noon.
What's missing from this scenario? Shaving. On a weekday.
I can't recall the last time I didn't shave on a weekday, vacation or not, during my carts/goop years or the current thing we gents enjoy. Today feels weird on so many levels and not shaving at my usual time is part of that. My Dad shaved everyday, including when he was on vacation and into his retirement. There are a few retired guys on my street and I haven't seen them unshaven. I don't plan on letting Dad or my neighbours down. Tomorrow I'll make the time I once used during my employed years to shave and get back on track. The windows on the back of the house can wait for twenty minutes, and let's face it, there's also just so much damn vacuuming one can do before friends and family begin to question your sanity.
Retirement, voluntary or enforced, can be productive. As long as you start with what you've done for the past thirty-odd years.
A darn good shave.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Way to go!!! Glad you are rid of "the man ".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

As a fairly recent retiree, I offer the following: The lack of routine is problematic. Every day is a Saturday. I shop for dinner daily. I get the mail. Take a nap. Shave each day. Try to lunch with someone a couple times a week. Avoid following much political news. Go to the library every week. :)

My Mom went through this same life change a few years ago... and she’s never been busier! Unfortunately, she doesn’t have this wonderful passion to enjoy in her retirement. Enjoy your milestone!

Last night one of my former co-workers came around with a gift courtesy of a pass-the-hat in the office. Knowing how much this co-worker is into firearms, the rattling and weight of the package led me to believe is was a live round.
Nope, it was a Parker 76R razor. And here I thought my yammerings about the joys of DE shaving fell on deaf ears.
I took it out for a spin this morning and my initial thoughts are it's a pretty good razor. Kind of heavy, possibly the heaviest in my meagre den, so a light touch is definitely needed. The only quibble (it was a gift, you moron, quit yer bellyaching) is the TTO knob at the bottom of the handle is a bit sensitive...when I rinsed it, the knob would loosen slightly requiring a re-tightening.
All in all a thoughtful gift and very much appreciated. Now, about getting a live round for a retirement gift, I'm still waiting.:117:

best wishes. as someone working in the newspaper industry for the past 30 plus years i'm secretly praying for a buy out of some sort, but I don't foresee many good things

Happy retirement Sir!!! Everyone that i know who has been successful in retirement stayed busy....no not work busy but hobby busy....so dont forget to take time for yourself and also remember that if you keep doing house chore everyone will expect you to continue....hahaha....says the guy who makes his wife lunch, dinner and does laundry when he's home....hahaha

Heading into week number three of my enforced life of leisure, here are the things I've had to learn.
I wake up each morning with at least two things to do that day. One could be something mundane like loading the dishwasher and the other will be something that isn't all that common. Yesterday I took the weed whacker to clean up the edge of the lawn, an annoyance I try to keep to at least every two months. Earlier in the week I weeded the gardens. If I do one thing a day that something out of the regular, and take my time doing it, the day is a success.
Making dinner every afternoon and actually sitting at the dining room table with my wife is pretty enjoyable.
Despite the expectations among friends and loved ones, my beer intake has actually receded. When I was working it was a sad fact that I'd come home and pound back four or five beers in succession on the back patio. Not that I had a problem...which is probably a common refrain of someone who does have a problem. Okay, now you're home all day so maybe you should do something other than pounding back beers all day. Now it's one or two a night. Much better, and my liver thanks me!
Of course, shave every day. I used to shave every morning, but now if I'm planning outside yard work, I'll shower and shave afterwards around mid-day.
The one weird thing I've discovered is that I can take my time doing the things through the week that once were delegated to the weekend, and rushed through slapdash.

I'm no where near retirement but feel the equal frustration. Our company hired me because the controller was working 70 hour weeks 7 days a week to still stay behind. I walk in, smooth it out, build a nice nest with amazing folks. First time I ever loved going to work everyday. Then they make the decision to unexpectedly remove me and move me to a location they knew was an hour commute each way and forced my boss to take all my workload back and add a major piece he's never done or experienced before. Makes zero sense and not a soul in the office can explain why that happened. Stupid decisions by stupid people who call themselves executives and never have to worry about anything except how to spend their money they don't deserve or earn while they demand us to give more, donate more, and be thankful.

I'm thankful alright. Thankful the market is back and strong again. I've never had the problem I have right now which is keeping up with all the openings to apply for :)

Top Bottom