What's new

Frameback Friday (+Faux and Rattler)

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Shell Silver Steel up today with a Simpsons brush and spicy software.

IMG_0519.jpeg

I have had the same experience with screaming sharp 12k edges. Do you think this phenomenon could be the result of the harder Swedish steel?
I’ve got a Helje MK24 and 32 and they don’t take an edge like this with the same/similar Swedish steel. So it must be something to do with the stiffness or geometry of a frameback.

But now that I think about it, an MK24 is a 1/4 hollow 4/8 razor, so it’s plenty stiff. Which takes us back to the steel. Maybe they can use a different alloy for a frameback that’s more optimized for sharpness because it doesn’t need to be ground much if at all.

Who’s the resident Swedish steel expert? @Antique Hoosier? @JPO?

I’ve got a Helje MK24 and 32 and they don’t take an edge like this with the same/similar Swedish steel. So it must be something to do with the stiffness or geometry of a frameback.

But now that I think about it, an MK24 is a 1/4 hollow 4/8 razor, so it’s plenty stiff. Which takes us back to the steel. Maybe they can use a different alloy for a frameback that’s more optimized for sharpness because it doesn’t need to be ground much if at all.

I wouldn't assume the steel to be exactly the same, it certainly doesn't seem that way across the Heljes I've had. I would guess the MK24 I have is at least fifty years younger than the frameback and probably closer to 75.

The MK 24, 30, 31s, and 32 I've had are all pretty similar though, as is the unstamped MK3 style I have. The other, stamped MK3, the frameback, and another one I used to have are different. More wear resistant, different sound, etc.

Last edited:

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”

NOT me lol….. I’m simply a buyer and obsessive user of Heljestrand. My skills stop there. Arne from back in the day is your complete Swedish expert!

Top Bottom