What's new

Fountain Pen as a Gift: Need Recommendations

Yes, a demonstrator pen is pen that is clear/translucent so you can see the inner workings of a pen. The neatest ones are the Pelikans as you can see how the piston mechanism works.
If you go with a Sailor (or Pelikan ) check with Pam Braun at http://www.oscarbraunpens.com/ she and Todd at Isellpens have some of the best prices around, Pam also sells inks at good prices.
I really like sailors, I think their nibs are better than Pelis, but the pelikans hold much more ink than the Sailors per fill.

She said he would something in a "classical, conservative style," so I think the Pelikan or Sailor suggestions would work.

The Pelikan certainly strikes me as classical, but not very reserved. Some may disagree, but the style (while certainly not wild) is something that would stand out on a desk. It has a "wow" factor, particularly the striated barrels. REAL lookers, but not quite my opinion of "reserved". The Sailors get super high marks, apparently one of the GREAT nib grinders (two generations thereof, actually) and especially the 1911, a very reserved/classical appearance. It really is sounding like the winner here. Lucky you, they're less expensive.

All great choices.... My only concern with the Vanishing point is some people do not like then because of the placement of the clip .

I've read that too. If one has a grip such that the index finger or thumb curls over the top of the pen (i.e., the clip), then I could see that being a problem. My index and thumb rest right and left of the clip, so I've never had a problem with it.

-Andy

Top Bottom