What's new

For users of more aggressive DE's: Do you shave every day? Do you shave ATG?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I don't know if a 39C counts as aggressive, but yes and yes. I have to shave everyday - every day I work anyway. And since I started DE shaving, I like to shave on the weekends too - not a chore anymore. In fact, weekend shaving has turned into father-son bonding time, as my three and one year old sons insist on "shaving" with me (kind of more like lathering up and wiping off the lather with a bladeless 34c). Anyway, I digress. If I want anything approaching DFS level, let alone BBS, I have to go ATG. No two ways about it. Three passes - WTG, XTG, ATG - is what works best for me. I've tried two passes and cleanup and found that the cleanup takes longer and causes more irritation than just doing a third pass. Occasionally I'll skip the ATG pass for a sub-24 hr shave or on the weekend when I'm really only shaving for the fun of it. I've tried going back to the 34C on occasion, but the 39c has spoiled me. Two or three passes with the Sledgehammer just works better for me than three or four with the 34C. Incidentally, I use a steep angle with the 39c - much smoother that way. I'll grant that my razor experience is pretty limited and I haven't tried some of the other popular razors like the EJ89 or R41, so this is just where I'm at right now. But I will say that for me and my thick whiskers, the Sledgehammer is a great daily driver.

Every day. R41 2011, Fatip, BBX, or Shavette (Feather Artist SS or CJB). WTG, XTG, ATG only for touch ups below the jawline. I have a moustache, but when I didn't, I never needed to go ATG on my upper lip.

So you don't need your DEs anymore, right? I'm asking because I need a backup #16. And I believe you also have some Deluxes and RFBs ...

Hehe. Yeah right - you wish.:biggrin1: My weekly rotation now is 4 days for straights and 3 for DE's and SE's. Nice try though.

Cheers, George

Everyone is different, but I shave 4 passes daily with a range of aggressive razors, R41, Fatip Grande, 30s Gillette New, and others. I never really have any irritation to speak of. I find that I can get very clean, close shaves from mild or aggressive razors and enjoy shaving with a variety of them. It's all about technique, good prep, and proper lather, IMO.

Yes and Yes, but I mix my razors and blades up. For example, one day it'll be a Red Tip or ATT H1 with an Astra SP blade and then the next day it might be a 1940s SS with an or an ATT M2 with a Feather.

Yes & yes! A 4 pass shave every day. I mix razors now, but I will use aggressive razors day after day. I once used my Jaws 40 days in a row

The odd thing is, back when I used cartridges, I could shave every day atg with no irritation to speak of.

Dave
That is odd, as I found just the opposite. I lived with cart induced irritation for years, which I accepted as a fact of life, and really looked forward to my no-shave weekends. After having converted to DE shaving, irritation is pretty much a thing of the past, and I can shave every day, if I have to, though I'm lucky enough to have a work situation that often allows me to skip a day here and there. I find a couple of days off per week is a good respite for my pretty sensitive skin. And, I do shave ATG, though I might skip the ATG pass when I have to shave on multiple, consecutive days. Also, I do mostly use milder to mid-range aggressive razors, (e.g. SC NEW, Aristocrat Jr., Weber).

If you do have to go to everyday shaving, I'd suggest going with a mild to mid range aggressive razor, and not trying to achieve BBS all over; settle for a bit less close in the areas of your face where irritation is a problem. That works for me, as I find sacrificing a little closeness for comfort is a good trade off.

I used to shave once every other day; however, one day (in recent months), I decided to do this daily. For me, my facial hair grows in quickly. So, about eight to ten hours after I shave, the stubble on my face is quite evident. I suppose since I made this decision that my face simply adopted to the change.

Do I shave against the grain? Yes. Of course, I do encounter minor irritation and razor bumps often, but it is the only way for me to get a close shave.

For me, I shave two times. First, with the grain. Then, against the grain. If I decide to go further, I would irritate my skin, since it is nice and smooth.

Top Bottom