What's new

Flipping Blade for Longevity?

I've been using a DE razor for a relatively short time, and I have seen discussions on how many shaves do you get from one blade, which blade gives the most shaves, etc.

It occurred to me that a blade might dull slightly more on one side of its edge than the other, giving me reason to think that flipping a blade may extend its life (ever so slightly). By flipping, I mean removing and turning the blade "upside down" inside the safety razor, rather than spinning it on its axis.

Has anyone explored flipping a blade and whether that affects the number of shaves it will give? Does a blade's sharpness wear down primarily on one side, meaning that by turning the blade over I could get an extra shave or two? For example, if I normally get 5 shaves from a particular blade, could I flip the blade after the third use and stretch its use to a sixth or seventh use?

Also - I could be showing my inexperience, but I do not remove my blade in between uses -- I have read that some folks do. I leave one blade in place for multiple shaves until I change it out for a fresh, new blade.

Thanks for any wisdom!
Frank

There have been many threads discussing this idea over the years, with a number of different (and apparently unreconcilable) views expressed.

I'm of the school that there are no sides to and edge (it being the point of intersection of two planes), so flipping the blade does not expose a new side (just like slightly rotating a pencil does not continually expose a new side of the lead and lead to everlasting sharpness).

Others may differ in their views. That being said, try flipping the blade and see what happens, if you like the results and think/feel it makes a difference, keep doing it.

Here are a few previous discussions that might provide you with some answers:

I've seen this posted a few times as well. I would hesitantly guess that using a razor is like honing a knife. You'd be rolling the very fine edge to one side then to the other when you flip it. Granted I'm not sure there's any way to really quantify my guess short of having special microscopes.

If you feel it gives you a few extra shaves out of the same blade then, by all means, continue flipping. If not, that's cool too.

I've seen this posted a few times as well. I would hesitantly guess that using a razor is like honing a knife. You'd be rolling the very fine edge to one side then to the other when you flip it. Granted I'm not sure there's any way to really quantify my guess short of having special microscopes.

If you feel it gives you a few extra shaves out of the same blade then, by all means, continue flipping. If not, that's cool too.
Your whiskers are coarse enough to roll a steel edge?

Mine aren't.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It occurred to me that a blade might dull slightly more on one side of its edge than the other, giving me reason to think that flipping a blade may extend its life (ever so slightly). By flipping, I mean removing and turning the blade "upside down" inside the safety razor, rather than spinning it on its axis.

I think it is hard to prove if flipping the blade creates better performance, myself I flip my blades just because I remove the blade out of my DE razors all the time to clean the razor because of my large razor rotation, when the blade is installed into a different razor I just flip it regardless because I blade count also helps tracking what side to flip.
The best way to look at flipping question to prove it could slightly help is stropping a straight razor, the person strops one side and flips the blade to straighten the small folds & bends in the edge of the straight razor.
Men have been stropping carbon steel straight razors for hundreds of years and it works as a known. With a DE blade your facial skin becomes the strop.
If you only use the blade 2-3 times and then bin the blade flipping is questionable if it benefits greatly IMO!
(Old archived photo, these small bent area's of this blade stropping would help slightly improve the keenness of the edge.)
razor edge (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
I usually flip my blade after the second or third use, but to be honest, whether and to what extent it makes a difference depends entirely on the specific brand and manufacture. Some blades, I note no discernible effect. With others, it does seem to help a little bit.

Pick 5 random people, give same razor, blade, and soap.

Then allow to start with clean shaven face, then say shave one days growth, everyday until you can’t stand blades results no longer.

BET you will not have same results, people are different, beards, beard growth, and thickness is different.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think it is hard to prove if flipping the blade creates better performance, myself I flip my blades just because I remove the blade out of my DE razors all the time to clean the razor because of my large razor rotation, when the blade is installed into a different razor I just flip it regardless because I blade count also helps tracking what side to flip.
The best way to look at flipping question to prove it could slightly help is stropping a straight razor, the person strops one side and flips the blade to straighten the small folds & bends in the edge of the straight razor.
Men have been stropping carbon steel straight razors for hundreds of years and it works as a known. With a DE blade your facial skin becomes the strop.
If you only use the blade 2-3 times and then bin the blade flipping is questionable if it benefits greatly IMO!
(Old archived photo, these small bent area's of this blade stropping would help slightly improve the keenness of the edge.)
View attachment 1696108
Have some great shaves!
Except that on a strop, there isn't things sticking out that need to be cut off like there is on facial skin.
A strop is a surface where the razor isn't working the edge as far as cutting goes.
If you're stropping your razor and cutting something, you're doing it wrong!

With a large blade gap and the right shaving angle, you can get underneath the blade as it were, using one side more than the other, leaving the other side more sharp.
Also, as you shave, it can cause on a level unseen by the human eye, the thin yet sharp blade to slightly curve outward, making that side less usable.
Both of these factors indicate something.
That flipping the blade does nothing.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Except that on a strop, there isn't things sticking out that need to be cut off like there is on facial skin.
You are correct about nothing sticking out on a strop, most strops are just meant for straightening the edge and if abrasive compounds are loaded onto a leather strop it will cut the blade ever so slightly to produce a very sharp edge + correct the edge. My thinking is when blade is flipped it should correct some of the bends and folds possible to help the edge correct possibly. I have been flipping my blades for many years and it is hard to prove if it helps at all but a person can not really prove it does not either !
The only blades I do not flip are some of my SE Schick injectors, and the blade seems to hold up very well but the blade is held at a ideal angle for strength. The very fine edge of a DE blade is measured in millionths of a inch so it is overly strong.
blade_angle-se-de.gif

Have some great shaves!

I don't flip blades, but that is the reasoning I would take if I did. I may flip my blade tonight just to see.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Grinding or stropping a blade is a precise process with specific directions and angles. And the Flip Blade is not, so it doesn't help your expectations.

Some people think that the number on the edge of the blade means you have to flip it over with use, and thus start doing this - also a myth, since the manufacturer has stated that those numbers are printed only for quality control, and have nothing to do with shaving.

Here are a few previous discussions that might provide you with some answers:
Thanks for sharing those - my cursory search was not successful.

Top Bottom