What's new

Flattening strop

Hi,
Got a strop that seller packaged /shipped carelessly and now it’s bent.

What can I do to make this better?

image.jpg

Dampen it with a wet sponge and gently reshape it. May take a couple sessions. Make sure it's flat as it dries each time. Depending on the surface finish a rolling pin might be useful.

It has a linen strop as well- my first. Is linen supposed to be so stiff?
It can be, depends on the weave. Is this a new (unused) strop?

Be careful with the linen as it will get stiffer and brittle when wet and the fibers can crack. However, as it dries down to damp you can gently work it to make it more pliable.

I should have investigated the company more before buying. It’s made by Illinois Razor Strop Co. strop #70. It appears that this strop hasn’t been “broken in” not that good strops need to be broken in. I spent less than $20 - that should have been a warning on its own.

You may be able to work it straight again without even wetting it, try disassembling it, folding reasonably tightly but not so much as to leave a crease in the material, so that the strop is bent counter to the current curve, then rolling the fold up and down the bent area for a minute or so. A strop doesn't have to be perfectly straight to work fine, and any gradual curves will be pulled out in use when you put pressure on it anyway. Hopefully this makes sense.

Dampening it a little bit then pressing it between two clean flat boards under a weight and leaving it there for a while might also do it if working it dry doesn't.

If there's no wrinkles or creases in the leather... ignore it.

It'll eventually straighten out just from hanging... and you're gonna pull it straight when you use it.

I mean, am I missing something from the picture? Strops are usually rolled a bit to ship (unless it's a really thoughtful shipper). Unless they force them into overly tight rolls or roll them backwards and create creases or tears; it's not a problem.

This is only my second strop. I was spoilt by my first one - a Tony Miller - which was shipped in a huge box with paper stuffing to hold the strop in place. Once I pulled it out it practically rolled flat!

So when I got this as seen, I was a little bummed.

However, I’m reassured by everyone’s comments. I’ll hang it and start using it. I’m sure it’ll flatten soon.

Thanks all!

Edit: a $10 china-made “genuine leather” strop from Amazon was technically my first, but I’m trying to forget that purchase :)

Last edited:
Illinois strops are decent low budget strop but not high quality to begin with. Price usually reflects leather quality. Buying a used strop will likely require a good cleaning and hydrating of the leather.

Your leather strop needs hydration, even if new, no telling how many years it has sat on a shelf. As said dampening the leather will relax the fibers and allow it to flatten. If you roll the strop on a hanging rolling pin will loosen the fibers and allow the strop to become soft and flexible as you add oil slowly to rehydrate the leather.

The linen will need soaking and cleaning, soaking allows the fibers to loosen and release the dirt and grime trapped in the weave. Rolling the linen when damp will loosen the fibers and weave, making the linen soft and flexible and able to better polish.

To properly soak and clean an Illinois linen you will need to unsew and resew the leather handles on, not that difficult to do with a double needle saddle stich.

The strops both linen and leather are your last opportunity to perfect the bevel and edge. The quality and cleanliness of the strop will affect the finish they are able to produce.

There are many posts on cleaning and hydrating of linen and leather.

Top Bottom