What's new

First Straight, first hone, new HRCTools DG16

By the way, I'd be happy to hone that up if you are unsuccessful at it. I'd be interested in seeing that steel up close and personal.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
That blocky shape of the razor might do well with a Vorpal reconfiguring, no?

Pattern welded steel. It is the correct term for what we more commonly call damascus now days. I am hugely guilty of calling it damascus, but pattern welded steel is the correct term. It is also important to remember that while all pattern welded steel is beautiful they can vary as widely as all steels. Some make great razor steel and some do not. You are just going to have to keep honing and find out if yours does or not, but from the look I to feel certain that it is true PWS.

Ah, yeah, keep forgetting that term so the abbreviation just flies over my head. I understand it's not traditional damascus, just called it that because that's what it was called in the listing.
By the way, I'd be happy to hone that up if you are unsuccessful at it. I'd be interested in seeing that steel up close and personal.

I'd be glad to send it to you. Though, I'll be moving some time next month if things go according to plan--it may take a while for me to get it honed up at all, so you might be in for a long wait. Honestly, wouldn't mind sending it to you as is and letting you finish it up, and practicing on a cheaper razor with a more manageable edge instead, since I don't have anything more than 6k at the moment and it's my first time. Of course, I'd pay--can't expect you to work on it for free. ;)

Hone for free is fine by me. It saves me having to buy one myself to see what is what. As Kentos says, if these can actually take an edge, I would be interested in using them for my Vorpal creations.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Hone for free is fine by me. It saves me having to buy one myself to see what is what. As Kentos says, if these can actually take an edge, I would be interested in using them for my Vorpal creations.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Now that you mention it, this brand might be a cheap way to acquire a heat treated, tempered, partially finished PWS blank. I am just concerned about the huge amount of apparent warp in the blade, and if the steel is actually usable or not. This razor, or RSO whichever the case may be, needs a sure and confident hand to just go for it and gitter done. Anxious to see what you can do with it.

Ah, yeah, keep forgetting that term so the abbreviation just flies over my head. I understand it's not traditional damascus, just called it that because that's what it was called in the listing.

I'd be glad to send it to you. Though, I'll be moving some time next month if things go according to plan--it may take a while for me to get it honed up at all, so you might be in for a long wait. Honestly, wouldn't mind sending it to you as is and letting you finish it up, and practicing on a cheaper razor with a more manageable edge instead, since I don't have anything more than 6k at the moment and it's my first time. Of course, I'd pay--can't expect you to work on it for free. ;)

I do it all the time. Sometimes imprecise language bothers me, but I have no problem calling PWS damascus steel.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I do it all the time. Sometimes imprecise language bothers me, but I have no problem calling PWS damascus steel.

Even those of us who know this, know what you mean when you say Damascus. And it's only 3 syllybabbles. So I think it could be forgiven.

I'm guessing the razor is out of Pakistan or India. I get emails or instagram messages every week wanting to know if I'd like to buy from the factory.
As to "what" to call the steel.
I use both interchangeably. Yes the correct name is PWS but even the guys that forge some of the better PWS also call it damascus.

Thanks [MENTION=6128]Seraphim[/MENTION], PM sent. :D

I'm guessing the razor is out of Pakistan or India. I get emails or instagram messages every week wanting to know if I'd like to buy from the factory.
As to "what" to call the steel.
I use both interchangeably. Yes the correct name is PWS but even the guys that forge some of the better PWS also call it damascus.

I've had a few private exchanges with the seller, and he seems like a reasonable guy. I wish he was more forthcoming about the source of his materials, but he doesn't seem like a bad guy. I'm hesitant to post the exact content of our exchange, not sure how kosher that is.

I've had a few private exchanges with the seller, and he seems like a reasonable guy. I wish he was more forthcoming about the source of his materials, but he doesn't seem like a bad guy. I'm hesitant to post the exact content of our exchange, not sure how kosher that is.

He may not be a bad guy! It's just alot don't know what they are selling.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Yeah he sounds like a hobbyist knife maker who figured out that to pay for his hobby all he has to do is make some "kewl" stuff to sell to kids with nothing better to do with their money than by some "bitchin bad@$$ blades" to show off to their friends. Nothing wrong with that. But even a serious knife maker should know more about how to make a razor than this. I am crossing my fingers and knocking on wood that anybody can even set a good end to end bevel on both sides, because of the warp, and not too hopeful because the blade didnt even center the wedge on closing, one of the simplest flaws to totally fix. Still, steel is steel and I got my fingers crossed. At that price point I would love to see a usable and honeable damascus straight razor. I think we should encourage the maker as a newbie razor maker, and not to expect Zowada/Roberts/Livi/Wacker level work out of him right out the gate. Would be nice if he would check in here, and learn from the merciless criticism that we are capable of dishing out, and make something (eventually) that even we can't find fault with. THEN he will be a true razorsmith.

Last edited:
Good against evil?

One of the intriguing things about Game if Theones is that there are no good guys and bad guys. Every character has varying degrees of unscrupulous behavior depending on what they are up to. They can act pretty good for a little bit, then the next episode they run a dagger through somebody....

Good against evil?

One of the intriguing things about Game if Theones is that there are no good guys and bad guys. Every character has varying degrees of unscrupulous behavior depending on what they are up to. They can act pretty good for a little bit, then the next episode they run a dagger through somebody....

Good kinda like Clint Eastwood was good in the spaghetti westerns. A good hearted guy with an attitude.

So far, I'd say at least a few of the Starks - Ned was a good guy (look where that got him!) And Bran and Rickon and some of their companions. Most of the guys who were good are dead already though, heh. It's definitely a show that keeps you on your toes.

Top Bottom