What's new

First simpson brush received!

I got my first simpson brush today from West Coast Shaving. It is a Duke 3 in best - it's a thing of beauty. I have a few questions about caring for it since It was a good chunk of change and I would like it to last. I am in the process of removing some of the smell from it. Dawn dishsoap lathered it, Vinegar and Water soak, Ice water soak and now it is sitting in some Proraso lather I whipped up with it. I plan to vinegar water soak it and then finally shampoo/conditioner. My real question comes to how much downward pressure should I be using when making lather with it? I have not used much at all and it seems to be taking a while. I notice that on GeoFatBoy's and Mantic's youtube video that they actually use a decent bit of pressure (Enough to cause the badger to fan out). Is this the correct way to do it, or will it cause a hole to form in the center?

proxy.php

I prefer to swirl with very little pressure thats just me !It takes a little more time to whip up a good lather but thats fine by me !
Enjoy Your Shave !

Congrats !! You don't have to baby it. Go to town and lather however you choose. That thing will last decades.
Which one you gonna get next ?

You really did a lot to break that bad boy in. I just lathered mine once with some tabac, and that was about it. I actually am pretty rough with my brushes, I pump, swirl, and do just about everything the manufacturers say you shouldn't do. Never had a problem with any of them. I say just use and enjoy it. Congrats on your new brush.

Steve

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
You really did a lot to break that bad boy in................ I just lathered mine once with some tabac, and that was about it............... I say just use and enjoy it...........

Steve

This would have been my first response.

Enjoy your Simpson Duke 3. You made a very nice selection.

I took receipt of my Duke 3 this week as well. My first Simpson brush. You are right. It is a thing of beauty. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

I got my sixth Simpson (Duke 1) today. With a new brush all I do is a test lather, let it soak up the lather for an hour or so, then rinse & use. No need to go overboard with a new brush. Good luck with the Duke 3. As for pressure, do what feels and lathers best for you. Every brush and user is different.

Just finished shaving using the brush for the first time. It created a nice lather that went really far compared to my boar brush. My boar brush did lather quicker but I assume that is only because it is broken in. The only reason I did so much to the brush before using is that I wanted some of the animal smell to go away quicker and also to help it bloom/break in quicker.

As long as you don't mash the knot while lathering or loading the brush, you'll be fine. Use however much pressure you feel comfortable with. You made a great choice in your first Simpson brush. You can never go wrong with a Duke.

worrying about it will cost you a lot more than having to replace the brush after ten years of abuse. just enjoy the thing.

as for de-funking. just makes test lathers 3 days in a row with your strongest-smelling soap/cream. let hang in brush for 15 minutes before rinsing. then you should be all set (at least 90% of the way). prolonged soakings are not a good idea. this has been discussed before.

v.

Top Bottom