What's new

First shave with an SE

I won a PIF from Toothpick, and he sent me a very nice GEM micromatic. I have only ever shaved with a Gillette Fusion razor since I started shaving 10years ago, so i was a bit excited to try something different. .

To be honest, I didnt even know SE razors existed until I joined B&B. I have acquired a straight razor setup, but havent had it honed yet, just been reading as much as I can about wet shaving.

Back to the GEM, well it was waiting for me when I got home from work today. So, like any normal person, I immediately open the box and headto the bathroom to put it to use. While probably not the best idea, I am armed with the knowledge from watching a single youtube video on shaving with an SE and 4 days of growth. I load up a fresh blade and have at it.

First thing I notice is the angle I have to hold it at is pretty strange, but I am sure I will get uaed to it. Secondly, the big flat chromed head seemed to have a tendency to stick to my face and resist gliding.

After I got past those two things, I was cutting whiskers with relative ease. Ended up with a really nice shave, and only a couple of tiny bleeders that I believe were just bumps on my neck being removed. This is a sweet little razor that I look forward to mastering.

I would like to thank Toothpick again, and plan on posting a PIF in the future when I am able to do so.

proxy.php

Also, I apologize for any spelling and grammatical errors in my post, as I am on my phone amd the site is very glitchy on it.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I typically found that an SE razor does a better job with more growth on your face. Not saying you should tackle a weeks worth. But I remember getting great shaves with 2-4 days growth.

You'll have it figured out in no time.

I typically found that an SE razor does a better job with more growth on your face. Not saying you should tackle a weeks worth. But I remember getting great shaves with 2-4 days growth.

You'll have it figured out in no time.

I've been using my Clog-Pruf for the last 2 weeks, but my MMOC arrived over the weekend. Due to some irritation from my last shave (tried the Tech with a Feather, again, which still didn't work for me), I hadn't shave in exactly a week. The MMOC, even with a blade on its 4th use, mowed through it without issue. It did tug a little around the chin, but it still turned out an effortless, irritation-free shave.

I got a GREAT shave last night from the Micromatic. No cuts, almost no irritation afterwards, and very smooth. Pretty much BBS except for a few places that always seem to have stubble.

Shaved right after a shower. I put a small dab of proraso red on my puck of williams soap, and it lathered up great and felt great on.

One day I will buy some pre and after shave to get the full experiance.

Congratulations!
With regards to the sticking - don't shave with the lid flat against your face, but lift just a little. (Contrary to original OCMM instructions :) )

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Very nice set. I have OCMMs and really like the shave. Unlike Zchance, I shaved WTG to get used to it because of the horror stories. I quickly went to my WTG & ATG 2 pass shave. Zchance, you did very well on your 1st shave; Congratulations!

Nice set-up. You will love the Gem. Just takes a little practice to get the angle down, then it's off to the races.

Congratulations!
With regards to the sticking - don't shave with the lid flat against your face, but lift just a little. (Contrary to original OCMM instructions :) )

+1 the angle doesn't have to be huge (probably not the 30° that you might use with a DE), but certainly tilting the head away a bit should solve this problem.

Congrats on the first shave, good luck.

Top Bottom