What's new

first shave with a wedge

gave a w&b wedge a try this morning

a bit different than the hollows, to say the least, but got a decent shave none-the-less

i suspect that i've got a couple dozen straight shaves under my belt now - and learning more with every shave

any advice on technique that's specific to the wedge?

Wedges shave the same as any razor, though I do think they are easier to shave with because they don't flex (so I find they are less likely to bite). The actual edge is the same as on a full hollow (or any other grind), there's just more steel behind it.

I agree that they are less likely to bite. For me there is far less feedback...especially the sound when stropping and shaving. I didn't discover wedges until later. For me they are more forgiving...maybe less likely to tell you your doing something wrong. I really enjoy mine however...one more road to experience in the world of str8s.

the weight was a little getting used to as well - especially for my non- dominant hand

moving along very quickly now, it seems

got about as good a shave with two passes and touchup as i normally would with a couple passes from the super speed

it still takes a bit longer - but it's not much longer than it was with the de when i was learning

liking this wedge - thinking about getting some custom scales put on it - the originals have some issues

Interesting. I think a wedge will be my next razor. Any suggestions on where to find a decent one?

Check BST here and classifieds SRP. Ebay will show you plenty, if you are confident in your ability to shop ebay.

For the record, I don't actually look at the BST here, but I'm guessing there must be something...

i've had good luck on bst here - both for straights and vintage gillettes

think i'm going back to the hollow grind w&b for tomorrow's shave

this is quickly becoming my favorite straight razor

today, i made the first two passes with the w&b hollow, and then the final pass with the wedge - resulting in a very close, comfortable shave - perhaps the best so far with a straight

Wedges are by far my favorites. It shaves just as well as hollows but you don't hear the scratchy noise as a hollow puts out.

Top Bottom