What's new

First Lather Catcher Help

Hi, I’m thinking about buying my first lather catcher. Will Standard SE modern blades work with the razor below? Anything special I should know? Thanks for your help!

9E6F26A8-527A-4C74-88FD-DAB695C9DBFD.jpeg

Ts a looker. At least the back is. Sorry I cant say for sure but Im 80% sure it hold standard SE blades.
But Id wait for someone elses opinion.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Looks like a Gem Jr bar in good shape!
There are few things that I would look at before using and the first would be make sure the front blade stops are in good shape and 2nd make sure spring on back of the lather catcher is working good and the bar of your lather catcher comes down under spring load and it should be good to use.
I have 2 Gem Junior bar lather catchers and they are a mild to a tame mid range razor that work wonderfully. I also have a Star bar #4 lather catcher that is similar and also a tame mid range works excellent. I have received lots excellent shaves from those lather catchers and are a joy to use.
Do not use DE blades in that razor because you are asking for trouble because they are not designed for that razor at all and also do not use those paint scrapper blades that look similar to a Gem blade because they are not ground properly and you will have a terrible shave. You want the 3 facet edge for shaving and they are sharp with great longevity.
I buy my Gem Personna SS PTFE( I strongly recommend this blade) from Connaught shaving UK and it takes 2-3 weeks to mail to US or Canada and they are good online retailers and have great prices. Buy 10 for now and see how you enjoy the shaves, Enjoy!
I have some other information when you get the right blades if you like that.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Hard to tell from the back - front view would reveal whether it has blade stops - if so, then they shave fine

I went ahead and bought it from Etsy. Hope everything goes well. Can I clean it with alcohol and dish soap and a toothbrush as normal
The little hooks on the front corners are the blade stops and they look good.
Its a nice find that I must add to my collection some day.
I went ahead and bought it from Etsy. Hope everything goes well. Can I clean it with alcohol and dish soap and a toothbrush as normal?

Looks like a Gem Jr bar in good shape!
There are few things that I would look at before using and the first would be make sure the front blade stops are in good shape and 2nd make sure spring on back of the lather catcher is working good and the bar of your lather catcher comes down under spring load and it should be good to use.
I have 2 Gem Junior bar lather catchers and they are a mild to a tame mid range razor that work wonderfully. I also have a Star bar #4 lather catcher that is similar and also a tame mid range works excellent. I have received lots excellent shaves from those lather catchers and are a joy to use.
Do not use DE blades in that razor because you are asking for trouble because they are not designed for that razor at all and also do not use those paint scrapper blades that look similar to a Gem blade because they are not ground properly and you will have a terrible shave. You want the 3 facet edge for shaving and they are sharp with great longevity.
I buy my Gem Personna SS PTFE( I strongly recommend this blade) from Connaught shaving UK and it takes 2-3 weeks to mail to US or Canada and they are good online retailers and have great prices. Buy 10 for now and see how you enjoy the shaves, Enjoy!
I have some other information when you get the right blades if you like that.
I have these blades already for my other Gem 1912s. See link. Will these work?

Blades

What is your other info?

Ron R

I have these blades already for my other Gem 1912s. See link. Will these work?

Blades

What is your other info?
No problem with Gem PTFE blades I use those in my lather catchers all the time, you will enjoy some nice shaves if you have already dialed in your 1912 models. Enjoy!
The lather catchers that where MFG are based on a short version of a straight razor with a safety bar and blade acting as a top cap, they used wedge blades that look like a straight razor viewed from the side. A person should use them like a straight razor angle approach for best results.
I found some information from ads that might interest you and others photo's with just some basics. I had a manual some where that I can not find at the moment that came with mine. Click Photo's to enlarge.
Gem junior safety bar ad #3.jpg
Gem junior safety bar ad.jpg

This photo shows a wedge blade that came with my Star bar lather catcher.
Star bar 1.4.jpg
Gem procedure (2).jpg

blade_angle-se-de.gif

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:

Ron R

There is more threads that are just devoted for lather catchers and there are lots of folks who have lots of knowledge on these interesting razors that will work better than the day MFG with the new modern blades that are just sharper and work well in these interesting razors.

I seem to recall being able to use a standard single edge blade in the lather catchers that I have which were designed for steel wedge but I may have been drunk :) Let us know?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I seem to recall being able to use a standard single edge blade in the lather catchers that I have which were designed for steel wedge but I may have been drunk :) Let us know?

I ain't any kind of Lather Catcher expert, but, those I have tried that had blade hooks have worked fine for me with modern GEM blades .. hopefully a real expert will happen by shortly ..

Last edited:

Ron R

When you mention standard single edge blade are you referring to the Standard Gem Personna modern blade or other blades?
The Modern Gem Personna blades both in stainless and carbon will work OK in most lather catchers that are of the ASR brand. You can even buy adaptors that will mock the older steel spline blades and wedge blades that are custom 3D printed. I'm no expert in blades but know enough what works in my ASR razors.

When you mention standard single edge blade are you referring to the Standard Gem Personna modern blade or other blades?
The Modern Gem Personna blades both in stainless and carbon will work OK in most lather catchers that are of the ASR brand. You can even buy adaptors that will mock the older steel spline blades and wedge blades that are custom 3D printed. I'm no expert in blades but know enough what works in my ASR razors.
GEM blades, of course.

Top Bottom