What's new

First attempt of replating

Good day, gentlemen.

I was wondering if someone here has a good working "recipe" for replating. I mean, some settings (Volts / Amperes/ Time) for the power source.
I normally like a good looking patina on vintage razors and I prefer the way the time shows its marks on an object. I have also some razors that have been scratched by previous owners in the attempt of cleaning them. Those were the ones I decided to replate. Just took my time to polish them (400 grit / 600 grit / 30μm / 15μm / 9μm / buffing wheel). Buffing the open comb base plate proved to be quite difficult, though. Washed them thoroughly with brakes cleaner, then nickel plating at 5V / 2A. Buffing again, washing and plating in three or four cycles.
Here's a picture of the razor before and two after the replating. It's a 7 O'clock, made in England. It came with a Gillette handle, but I did find a proper 7 O'clock one. Damaged, but I replated this one, as well.

20221106_144814.jpg

IMG_5765.jpg

IMG_5767.jpg

I would not beat myself up being a DYI repeater. Let pro do it unless you want hobby business, and dealing with people who cause stress.

Good day, gentlemen.

I was wondering if someone here has a good working "recipe" for replating. I mean, some settings (Volts / Amperes/ Time) for the power source.
I normally like a good looking patina on vintage razors and I prefer the way the time shows its marks on an object. I have also some razors that have been scratched by previous owners in the attempt of cleaning them. Those were the ones I decided to replate. Just took my time to polish them (400 grit / 600 grit / 30μm / 15μm / 9μm / buffing wheel). Buffing the open comb base plate proved to be quite difficult, though. Washed them thoroughly with brakes cleaner, then nickel plating at 5V / 2A. Buffing again, washing and plating in three or four cycles.
Here's a picture of the razor before and two after the replating. It's a 7 O'clock, made in England. It came with a Gillette handle, but I did find a proper 7 O'clock one. Damaged, but I replated this one, as well.

View attachment 1693022
View attachment 1693023
View attachment 1693024
I believe @gpjoe was carrying out experiments on just this subject in his hidden fortress laboratory a few months back.

I like to keep myself busy,
I would not beat myself up being a DYI repeater. Let pro do it unless you want hobby business, and dealing with people who cause stress.
I like to keep myself busy. I take pleasure in shaving with a razor i did restore myself. I've used pro services in the past, for replating razors and I was not happy with it. Thank you for advice, though.
I believe @gpjoe was carrying out experiments on just this subject in his hidden fortress laboratory a few months back.
Thank you very much, Sir!

It looks pretty great to me.

I think I've been using 4-5v and 1.5-2 amps on my power supply, but honestly I've gotten just as good a result using an old wall charger.

As you have already found, prep of the parts is critical to the end result. Smooth, clean parts = smooth, shiny plating.

I like to keep myself busy. I take pleasure in shaving with a razor i did restore myself. I've used pro services in the past, for replating razors and I was not happy with it. Thank you for advice, though.

Same here.

My replated razors will never compete with Chris at Backroads Gold, but are still a huge improvement over their found condition.

I refer to my work as "Backwoods Gold" or "Bubba Gold" as a humorous homage to the phenomenal work done by Chris.

Much obliged, Sir. Thank you very much for your help!

I think I've been using 4-5v and 1.5-2 amps on my power supply, but honestly I've gotten just as good a result using an old wall charger.

As you have already found, prep of the parts is critical to the end result. Smooth, clean parts = smooth, shiny plating.
Thank you, Sir! Same here: I'm not even dreaming of achieving that kind of quality. It's just some personal pride and joy to return a razor to a relatively better condition and then use it.

Much obliged, Sir. Thank you very much for your help!

Thank you, Sir! Same here: I'm not even dreaming of achieving that kind of quality. It's just some personal pride and joy to return a razor to a relatively better condition and then use it.

Exactly. It's fun and very satisfying.

Here's pics of my latest victim. I only plated the cap and base plate, and polished the handle on my buffing wheel.

Screenshot_20230727_225646_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230727_225610_Gallery.jpg

That looks amazing! I wouldn't pass by a beaten razor at the flea market anymore. I'll buy all the junk. :)
And thank you for taking the time and writing about your experiments. That's quite an interesting lecture, for me.

Thank you.

I tend to go off the tracks a bit, so hopefully you'll find something useful. 😆 Honestly, it's just a compilation of information I found online. I thought it would be helpful/interesting when applied to razors.

It probably just makes the plating time shorter/longer depending on what voltage/current power supply that you use. Of course there will be some limit to what it can do.

Good day, gentlemen.

View attachment 1693022
View attachment 1693023
View attachment 1693024
That looks just amazing. Very cool!

It probably just makes the plating time shorter/longer depending on what voltage/current power supply that you use. Of course there will be some limit to what it can do.

Maybe, but ive found that too high a voltage can cause problems with the plating, like spikes and clumps. I did one cap at higher voltage thinking it would be faster and the plating thicker, and the resulting finish was cloudy. I couldn't seem to polish it out.

Based on my results, my advice is low, slow, and steady. There is no good reason to rush and not much difference between a couple minutes and five nimutes...especially for us retired guys just trying to keep busy. 😄

Top Bottom