What's new

Finally got a good one!

Shave #6!

I prepped well using TOBS pre-shave oil and Nancy Boy Signature cream. I'll have to say that TOBS is my favorite. It's right in between the heavy AoS pre-shave and the thin T&H pre-shave.

I lathered up and really took my time, using short deliberate strokes. I really focused on stretching my skin and getting the proper angle on the razor. I've learned that angle isn't quite as critical as getting the skin really stretched out. I finished my WTG pass without problems. I'm still having difficulties doing XTG passes on my neck area, but I feel like I've got my cheek, chin, and upper lip areas down. Using my left hand is getting easier, but I still prefer using my right hand. I reapplied lather as it dried out.

Then I did something I haven't done before...I tried going ATG. I was pretty nervous at first, but once I got the blade angle figured out, it went well. I needed reduce the blade angle considerably to start out. Once I got the blade going, it was just a matter of adjusting the angle to maximize cutting efficiency.

I still get much better results using a DE, but now I feel like I'm on my way. I got a good shave this morning and I celebrated with a little Clubman...hardly any sting!

I also attribute this success to solving my stropping problem. When I first got my razor, I stropped way too hard and dulled the blade. I became a little gun shy and then stropped too slowly, thinking I was being too aggressive with it. Well, stropping too slow is just as bad as stropping too hard, and won't do anything for the blade. Once I got it down, I was popping hairs like crazy, and my razor felt much easier to use (less tugging).

I also over conditioned my strop, so it was practically worthless until it dried out enough. I learned that the purpose of conditioning a strop is to give a bit more friction, which helps sharpen the blade. I'm glad I did this to my $10 poor man's strop and not my $65 Walkin' Horse strop. I'm not going to condition my WH strop unless it's too difficult to work with.

So, I guess I made all of the classic newb mistakes. I expected as much. I'm glad I purchased the Whipped Dog special instead of the new Dovo I was originally thinking about. I have two nicer straights, but I'm going to hold off working with those for a few more weeks until I feel like I've got my routine down.

This board is a great resource.

Well, there's no questioning my stropping technique now, my blade was very sharp this morning. I have three small cuts to prove it. One cut was a previous injury that hadn't quite healed. That made me a little more nervous, so my shave didn't go as well as yesterdays. I still got a very close shave, but I wasn't as comfortable using my left hand to shave with. Maybe it was the extra sharpness of the blade or maybe something else. I have a tiny bit of stubble on my lower lip, but the rest of my face feels just as smooth (smoother?) as when I use a DE. I have a little bit of razor burn, but it's not too bad.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Great to read your successes! Pretty soon the shaves will equal, then possibly surpass the DE.

Thanks for the encouragement. I saw a couple of geofatboy's videos, and I think I heard him say that it takes about 100 shaves to get proficient at straight razor shaving. I totally believe that. So, I'm just taking it a day at a time. I am really looking forward to when I can shave before all of my lather dries.

Congratulations! It will continue to get better and better. It almost makes wonder why people made the switch from straights years ago.

Top Bottom