What's new

Feather Artist Club, Pro Guard Blades - Questions...

Been at DE for a couple of years now...very happily I should note. Been using a Muehle R41 for the past couple of months now and its become my daily shaver (med prep). Very nice. Still....

Been lurking in this forum as Straights intrique me for all of the same reasons I assume bring you here and I'm looking to jump in. Rather than going the Whipped Dog route (which appears a very good way to go based on all the comments here and a great deal to boot), I'm looking at picking up a Feather Artist Club to start, primarily to avoid all the other issues re stropping, honing, etc. Seems like it could have the best of all worlds in terms of straight razor control, comfort and closeness without the maintenance issues...just replace the blade as you do in DE. Also appears to be a better choice than the cheap Parker (I have and don't like anything about it - soon to go to the mall for sales) or the Dovo route.

I don't have a heavy beard or skin irritation problems (like I said above, using a R41 daily), so it sounds like the middle level Artist blades are a good, longer term bet. However, until I get some confidence, thinking about the Pro Guard blades to start (I think). I think I understand what the concept is behind these blades but I still don't understand it totally...have a little difficulty getting my mind around a blade surrounded by a "cage" and can't seem to get a good explanation of whether they are just a set of newbie training wheels or something that might be useful in developing technique that leads to the normal Artist blades.

Would appreciate any insights you may have to offer.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Feathers are great razors to start out with. The only problem is if you get too good at using them you may not be able to make the transition to regular straights. If you learn on regular straights, it is easy to go to a Feather. YMMV, but I would skip the pro-guards and just roll with the real deal blades. Getting over the fear of slitting your throat is a key aspect of getting really good shaves with a straight IMO. And in the end, if you are careful you won't get too many cuts that leave long term scars :lol: J/K you will be fine.

Good luck!

There's a thin wire that criss crosses the cutting edge to prevent nicks. I don't care for the guards.

For me the best blades are the KAI milds, smooth and sharp

Thanks for the feedback. I've thought about that aspect (Straights v. Feather). In the end, I'm interested in knowing whether a type of straight contributes that much more on a marginal basis than a DE such as a R41 with a Feather or a Med Prep. I decided to go the Feather route to forgo the maintenance issues for the time being.

However, and you know there's always a "however", I'll probably do both in the end.

You know...so I can save money shaving.

Right.

Bill:

Thanks for the info. The guards sounded pretty goofy to me at the onset. I'll drop those and pick up some KAI's and the Pro's. Not too concerned about blade on skin since I handle that well now.

Thanks to both you guys.

The Feather is a great little razor. I've used the Feather Pro and the Kai Mild, I like them both equally. You won't regret it.

I like the Feather Pro and the Proguards. The Kai Milds are my least favourite so far. Looking forward to trying the Dorco blades sometime soon.

When I first started with the Feather RG, I got some of the pro guard blades. I thought that they were a waste of time, and didn't care for them at all. Now I use either the regular pro's or the super pro's. Of the two the regular's are my favorite. The Kai milds are also very nice. I use either one of the Feather's or the Kai as my regular straight's.

I use regular straights and a Feather DX teak razor. I prefer any of the blades (Professional, Professional Super, or Kai Titan Mild) over the Pro Guard. If you keep the angle low (lower than for a STR8) and don't use any pressure you should not need the more expensive Pro Guard Blade.

There's a thin wire that criss crosses the cutting edge to prevent nicks. I don't care for the guards.

For me the best blades are the KAI milds, smooth and sharp
I like the KAI blades, they are also stainless. The blades are much, much, much sharper than any regular straight I have used. They are also less forgiving.

I don't have a heavy beard or skin irritation problems (like I said above, using a R41 daily), so it sounds like the middle level Artist blades are a good, longer term bet. However, until I get some confidence, thinking about the Pro Guard blades to start (I think).

I didn't know which to choose when I got mine so I bought three versions - Pro-Guard, Pro, and Super-Duper-Pro-Kill-You-At-A-Glance.

I've used all of them and I like all of them (which is probably pretty good since I have money invested in a couple of packs of each). The hype from some (even retailers) about them being evil sharp and hard to use is not justified in my mind.

I don't think you can go wrong - especially if you have a mild beard. Any of the blades will do the job. Buy one pack of the Guards if you just want a little more confidence to start. Smallflower has good deals on them.

However, as was said, I think the Feather (and clones) are not necessarily good examples of the joy of straight razor shaving. They just happen to shave beards well. I like them and use them in my rotation but I like straights, too and wouldn't want to choose - but there is a difference.

Feathers are great razors to start out with. The only problem is if you get too good at using them you may not be able to make the transition to regular straights. If you learn on regular straights, it is easy to go to a Feather. YMMV, but I would skip the pro-guards and just roll with the real deal blades. Getting over the fear of slitting your throat is a key aspect of getting really good shaves with a straight IMO. And in the end, if you are careful you won't get too many cuts that leave long term scars :lol: J/K you will be fine.

Good luck!

Not sure why it would be difficult to transition to a regular straight from a Feather... (Although I admit I started with regular straights and added the feather only a couple months ago.)

The main problem I'd see trying to transition to a regular straight from a feather would be constantly trying to "chase" a sharp edge on a regular straight that can match the Feather (or kai) blades for sharpness. (or put another way, disappointment in the sharpness of a traditional straight.) *IF* you can truly achieve the same sharpness on a regular straight, it would be rare (IMHO) to be able to achieve that edge on a regular basis. If, on the other hand you transition from a feather to a traditional straight razor, knowing that you will need a higher blade angle, and a touch of pressure, and accept the fact that there will be a bit more tugging with the traditional straight, the transition shouldn't be any more difficult than the other way around.

The one thing I miss the most with the Feather vs. traditional straight is the auditory feedback that I get from a traditional straight (especially my two favorite razors, both extra hollow ground "singing" One TI and a M&W) That is something that just can't be duplicated with a replaceable blade razor like the Feather.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
There have been a few members who didn't feel all the extra effort needed to get a similar quality shave with a traditional Straight was worth it. Going from a traditional to feather is astonishing due to the sharpness of the disposable, but already having the skills from traditional shaving.
Coming off of kamisori and wedges, feathers actually give me MORE feedback :lol:

Isn't funny how personal perceptions gives us all such differing opinions on things? It must drive the newer shavers nuts to get so many conflicting opinions :smile:

Coming off of kamisori and wedges, feathers actually give me MORE feedback :lol:

Yep. A Kamisori is pretty silent and my feather blades all talk a little bit but the point that Feathers don't give much feedback (if compared to, say, a full hollow grind) is my experience, too. They are pretty danged sharp and can give a BBS without much effort - save the concentration to make sure you don't take off too much skin.

I just shaved with a Clauss that refuses to give me the edge that I like. It gives a great shave, I just have to work at it more - it still ends up being enjoyable and a nice diversion. The difference between it and a Feather is night and day. Both give good shaves, but they do it differently and take different techniques to coax the best from them.

Oh... and I think the varied perceptions of these things are, as Kent observed, what makes this such a discussable item. But the comment that it must confuse new people is probably true!

Last edited:
I recently switched from using a multi cartridge to a feather artist club SS with the pro guard blades. My thinking was to use the "safer" blades while I learnt the technique to straight edge shaving. The first shave was bloody murder, the 2nd better and by the 3rd I didn't have massive blood loss at the end of the shave. I'm even managing multi pass shaves now.

So while the technique has improved, I still find the pro guards rather abrasive with their ridges. I feel like the ridges dig into my skin no matter how light a touch I apply. So, I was thinking about trying different blades. Has anyone tried the feather professional light blades? if so, would be great to hear some feedback on them.

Thanks in advance!

I recently switched from using a multi cartridge to a feather artist club SS with the pro guard blades. My thinking was to use the "safer" blades while I learnt the technique to straight edge shaving. The first shave was bloody murder, the 2nd better and by the 3rd I didn't have massive blood loss at the end of the shave. I'm even managing multi pass shaves now.

So while the technique has improved, I still find the pro guards rather abrasive with their ridges. I feel like the ridges dig into my skin no matter how light a touch I apply. So, I was thinking about trying different blades. Has anyone tried the feather professional light blades? if so, would be great to hear some feedback on them.

Thanks in advance!

How steep of an angle are you using?

I didn't like the guard blades either, used them only once. Like the kai and super prof blades best. I started using the feather after a few months of straight razor shaving, no problems at all, I use the same angle as with a straight, for me the smaller angle recommended by many didn't work.

I am using an approximately 20 - 25 degree angle on cheek and neck with excellent results. The problems I am facing are around the chin and around my mouth. I've tried to keep the blade as flat as possible (based on recommendations from others) but still find the ridges digging in. I have sensitive skin around that area and that might be a contributing factor too. But I do feel a smoother blade might help. Hence, was thinking of giving the feather "light" blades a try.

@ lordfink

try to stretch the skin around chin and mouth and use no pressure, it really is the most important thing in shaving with these razors. personally I find the light blades not that good (only the guard ones are worse for me). You might think you're not using pressure but you probably are. If you ever got the chance to get a shave by a Turkish barber with a shavette or feather you'll experience what no pressure is.

Top Bottom