What's new

Favorite Fight Scenes - Movies or Animated Movies

If you REALLY want to see a movie that accurately depicts the combat which takes place, then watch Zulu, starring Jack Hawkins and Michael Caine. It depicts the siege of the Mission at Roarke's Drift in South Africa. The tactics used, the formations, even the rifle drill used in the hand to hand combat sequences is 100% accurate with how the British trained at the time. The Military Adviser on that picture should have won an Oscar for how good it was.

Side note: The Battle at Roarke's Drift saw more Victoria Cross medals awarded than any other single engagement in the history of the British Empire/Commonwealth. In total, 11 VCs were awarded. Zulu is probably my 2nd favourite film.

If you REALLY want to see a movie that accurately depicts the combat which takes place, then watch Zulu, starring Jack Hawkins and Michael Caine. It depicts the siege of the Mission at Roarke's Drift in South Africa. The tactics used, the formations, even the rifle drill used in the hand to hand combat sequences is 100% accurate with how the British trained at the time. The Military Adviser on that picture should have won an Oscar for how good it was.

Side note: The Battle at Roarke's Drift saw more Victoria Cross medals awarded than any other single engagement in the history of the British Empire/Commonwealth. In total, 11 VCs were awarded. Zulu is probably my 2nd favourite film.

When I was about 14years old, I had a severe case of poison sumac all over my body. I couldn't sleep at all. As I sat in a stupor late into the evening, this movie came on. It was epic!

There would have been more VC recipients for that battle but it was not awarded posthumously at the time.
It is my favorite movie.

Pretty sure the VC has been awarded based on merit, rather than whether or not the soldier was alive. Favourite line is something like

"Do you think I could sand this butchery more than once?"

**EDIT** You are correct. There is a notation about several soldiers serving during the Indian mutiny who "would have been awarded the medal" had they lived, so obviously the policy changed sometime after that conflict. My apologies.

Even rarer than the VC is the award of the "Scarf". This consisted of a scarf knitted personally by Queen Victoria herself, and given to soldiers of conspicuous gallantry. the scarves predate the VC by only a few years, and their rarity owes to the fact that these were hand made by the sovereign, and then sent off to the Crimea. I have been fortunate enough to see the only example of such known to exist in Canada, awarded to a Canadian, and currently on display in our National War Museum along with several Canadian VCs.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
From Wikipedia:

The original Royal Warrant did not contain a specific clause regarding posthumous awards, although official policy was not to award the VC posthumously. Between the Indian Mutiny in 1857 and the beginning of the Second Boer War the names of six officers and men were published in the London Gazette with a memorandum stating they would have been awarded the Victoria Cross had they survived. A further three notices were published in the London Gazette in September 1900 and April 1901 for gallantry in the Second Boer War. In an exception to policy for the South Africa War 1899–1902, six posthumous Victoria Crosses, three to the officers and men mentioned in the notices in 1900 and 1901 and a further three, the first official posthumous awards, were granted on 8 August 1902.[SUP][31][/SUP][SUP][a][/SUP] Five years later in 1907, the posthumous policy was reversed and medals were sent to the next of kin of the six officers and men.[SUP][32][/SUP] The awards were mentioned in notices in the Gazettedating back to the Indian Mutiny. The Victoria Cross warrant was not amended to explicitly allow posthumous awards until 1920, but one quarter of all awards for World War I were posthumous.[SUP][33][/SUP][SUP][34][/SUP] Although the 1920 Royal Warrant made provision for awards to women serving in the Armed Forces, no women have been awarded a VC.[SUP][35][/SUP]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Cross

Top Bottom