What's new

Family Razors

Probably a good 6 months ago I had asked my mom and dad about any old DE razors they might have that nobody wanted. I wanted to have something from family members with some history that meant something to me, and if it still worked all the better but I would take it even if it didn't work. I had totally forgotten about it and when I went up home for independence day imagine my surprise when I was sitting on the couch running my mouth and got handed this paper bag full of old razors labelled with tags telling who they belonged to and something about them. I really don't know any thing about these razors other than what I have been told and don't even know where to start with research, so I ask you fine folks here to point me in the right direction.

The first one and probably the oldest belonged to my Father's great great grandfather. From what I have been told his grandfather was a revolutionary war veteran, his mother was a Cherokee woman who escaped the trail of tears and was hidden and later married by his father. He was an unreconstructed Confederate civil war veteran and known for being a man you didn't cross. He once shot and killed his neighbor who had served in the union army (both were common in the hills of Kentucky) over a tree the neighbor cut down that had fallen on his fence. His brother was a lawyer and a judge (the only one in the county) and nothing ever come of it. I remember my great grandfather telling me when I was young that when he was drafted for WWI that his grandfather went to the draft board with a pistol in his hand and informed them that the damn yankees could fight their own war and his grandson was going to stay home where he belonged. My great grandfather was later disqualified for military service for medical reasons without ever even seeing a doctor. He had always shaved with a straight razor, (no barber up in the hills) but had gotten the shaking palsey (my guess is its probably what we call parkinson's disease today) and couldn't use it anymore and refused to grow a beard which he considered to be uncivilized. He died in 1929 at the age of 89, so it was probably purchased well before then I would imagine that it predates the concept of a DE razor. I got some blades that fit it at the hardware store, this razor is brutal, my face is still cut up, I didn't even finish the first pass.
$razors 003.jpg$razors 014.jpg

The next one belonged to my mom's great grandfather who served in the Philippines in the Spanish American war and in WWI. My aunt who had this thinks it was from WWI because according to my mom's grandma after he come home he wrapped it up and put it in the basement and told them not to touch it because it might have mustard gas on it. He died of pneumonia in 1921 at the age of 41 my great grandma speculated it might be from mustard gas he was exposed to in the war combined with his alcoholism. The razor was wrapped in a cloth which was in a wax paper bag which was in a wooden box. I know that mustard gas is a fairly short lived gas lasting at most a couple months, so I opened it. I was the first one to open it in almost 100 years.
$razors 010.jpg$razors 011.jpg

Attachments

• $razors 004.jpg
    $razors 004.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 120
Oops I uploaded the wrong picture up above but can't seem to fix it, plus I can only post 5 pictures per post, I have no clue why. So I will continue the post below.

The next one belonged to my dad's grandfather (the grandson of the owner of the 1st one) My grandfather (his son) told me he thought he bought it in the early 30s. I remember seeing him using it when we visited his house. He died in 1992 at the young and tender age of 93 and still sharp as a tack right up to the end. Probably one of the best men I have ever known. I look forward to using this one, but it makes an awful screeching noise, one of the doors is stuck and you have to really crank it while helping the door along.
$razors 006.jpg$razors 012.jpg$razors 013.jpg

The next razor was bought in the late 30 by my Dad's father, my grandfather who I lived most of my life with and who taught me to shave. He joined the army after Pearl Harbor and had been issued a plastic razor which he broke, my grandmother sent him this razor from home before he shipped out in 1942. He carried this razor with him on Guadalcanal, and the Philippines. I have never seen him use this razor nor have I. It is in pretty rough shape, considering all it has been through at least it is still here.
View attachment 470153$razors 005.jpg

This is the razor I saw my grandfather use and the razor I learned to shave with. My grandfather bought this razor in I believe 1946. I know for sure he used it until the day he died. My grandmother set it aside for me but between then and when I got there from overseas she forgot about it (early stages of alzheimer's.) My dad recently found it while sorting through things getting ready to move her into an assisted living apartment. I have no clue what this razor is but I like it. I put a blade in it and have shaved with it since my first single edge bloodletting experience and it shaves just like I remember as a teen. This razor is easily my most prized possession and still in great shape (my grandfather took excellent care of everything he owned.)
$razors 007.jpg

The next razor (first in this set) was issued to my mom's dad when he joined the Marines in 1950, he used it in Korea and is one of the few things to survive his radio shack being blown up when he served in the Chosin resevoir under Chesty Puller. (A fact he was immensely proud of and would remind you on every occasion.) He did not like the way this razor shaved and displayed it rather than use it. When he returned home on leave in 1953 he bought another one (second razor in this set) which he used until he died in an auto accident in 1996. It is in rough shape possibly from being in my mom's attic but it does still appear to be serviceable.
$razors 016.jpg$razors 017.jpg$razors 015.jpg

My dad give me a razor exactly like the gold one above that he was issued when he joined the Marines in 1968, it was however in much better shape. Unfortunately it was stolen from me in Iraq, hopefully whoever took it died a horribly painful death.

Last edited:
After losing the razor my dad give me I was surprised he give me another one let alone 2 of them. But he recently found them at my grandmothers house and despite my shortcomings decided to give them to me anyways. He told me the one with the blue paint on the bottom was the one his dad bought for him to learn to shave and it didn't work very well. In fact it did such a horrible job that he got suspended from high school for a day for showing up without shaving after using it so my grandfather bought him the one without the paint job and it worked until he joined the Marines. He used electric razors and cartridge razors most of the time in the Marines and since retiring has not shaved since. Although we agreed if he decides to start shaving again (which he says he won't) I will give him the unpainted one back.
$razors 008.jpg$razors 009.jpg

Pics 1&2: Looks like a single edge Gem

Pics 3&4: Maybe an old type clone?

Pics 5,9&10: Fat Handled pre war 3 piece Tech Gillette

Pics 6,7&8: 30s Aristocrat TTO razor Gillette

Pic 11: 40s Style Gillette Super Speed

Pic 12&13: Gillette Ball End Tech

Pic 14: Gillette Black Tip Super Speed early 50s

Pic 15: Gillette Blue tip Super Speed for light beards mid 50s

Pic 16: 1958 Gillette TV Special Super Speed for normal beards.

You have a ton of family history there and an instant collection. Congrats!!

Last edited:

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Razor #1 is an open comb Gem Micromatic. They're known for being agressive, but that wasn't why it was so mean to you. The blades you got from the hardware store are scraper blades. They are the same design, but the edge isn't fine enough for shaving. Also, my understanding is that the Micromatic wasn't introduced until 1929 or 1930, so he couldn't have had it too long.

Pics 1&2: Looks like a single edge Gem This one was easy to identify it was stamped gem micromatic.

Pics 3&4: Maybe an old type clone? I don't think its a clone, after cleaning what looks like a plaster (maybe mud) off of it I have found the Gillette diamond trade mark and Made in the USA stamped on the bottom of the comb, and on the top of the comb E398582. On the part that screws into the bottom, at the bottom of the shaft above the checkering I can barely make out the letters PAT and 04.

Pics 5,9&10: Fat Handled pre war 3 piece Tech Gillette Cool, I wonder if its too far gone to clean and use?

Pics 6,7&8: 30s Aristocrat TTO razor Gillette Wow

Pic 11: 40s Style Gillette Super Speed So this is the superspeed that all other razors are compared to I agree it shaves great.

Pic 12&13: Gillette Ball End Tech OK, now I know what this is, it shaves well.

Pic 14: Gillette Black Tip Super Speed early 50s This razor is built like a tank, it has a date code of W4

Pic 15: Gillette Blue tip Super Speed for light beards mid 50s Has a date code of B1, so if it was made in 1956 that means it probably belonged to my dad's older brother, who was 8 years older than my dad. My dad says my uncle used a red tip razor but has no clue where it is. My uncle just died right after Christmas last year so that makes this even more valuable to me

Pic 16: 1958 Gillette TV Special Super Speed for normal beards. This has a date code of D1 so it would have probably been a passed down razor as well

You have a ton of family history there and an instant collection. Congrats!!
Thanks a lot for the info, this gives me a great place to start researching these razors and finding out how they shave.

Razor #1 is an open comb Gem Micromatic. They're known for being agressive, but that wasn't why it was so mean to you. The blades you got from the hardware store are scraper blades. They are the same design, but the edge isn't fine enough for shaving. Also, my understanding is that the Micromatic wasn't introduced until 1929 or 1930, so he couldn't have had it too long.
My understanding was they got it for him when he could no longer shave with his straight razor. From what I know of him he was stubborn as a mule and would not have asked for help until he had absolutely no other choice. So not being introduced until 1929 actually makes more sense than predating DE razors like I originally thought.

You are absolutely right that razor blade was not fine for shaving. I probably could have gotten a better shave with my axe. I might have known this if I had researched it first, but my dad doesn't have internet and there is no cell signal let alone wifi in the hills. But when I saw that razor blade at the hardware store it called my name, it looked like it would fit, and fit it did, but shave it did not.

Thanks for the reply, I will give this razor another shot, I was just going to display it and not use it again. I will try it again with a blade from walgreens instead of the face mangling hardware store blades.

Top Bottom