What's new

English Flat Bottom Tech, wrong case?

I just purchased this English flat bottom Tech. It came with this case,
which I suspect is from a later razor. It's not a problem, I'm not a case
collector anyway, but can any of you experts confirm? I've seen EFBTs
with a similar case, but only in brown bakelite.

Attachments

• s-l1600.png
    s-l1600.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 32
I just purchased this English flat bottom Tech. It came with this case,
which I suspect is from a later razor. It's not a problem, I'm not a case
collector anyway, but can any of you experts confirm? I've seen EFBTs
with a similar case, but only in brown bakelite.
Hello @filedog

I believe it is the correct case. I have never seen a white and blue variant, but the case design looks identical to this 1948 No 27 set.
proxy.php

Nice score and a lovely cased example!

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Mine's in brown bakelite but then again it is the dainty slim handle. Nice score, congrats!

Might want to check the patent numbers (if shown) to correlate with a specific year @filedog

case design looks identical to this 1948 No 27 set.
Wouldn't you love to get that for 5/6?

Last edited:
Mine's in brown bakelite but then again it is the dainty slim handle. Nice score, congrats!

Might want to check the patent numbers (if shown) to correlate with a specific year @filedog

I won't have it for a while, but you can bet I'll check the numbers! Yes, that's a beautiful set.

For us colonials, 5/6 is 5 shillings and sixpence?

Last edited:

Oh yes! A sweet set.
Wow, it does! Thank you sir.
You are most welcome sir.
For us colonials, 5/6 is 5 Shillings and sixpence?
Yep. 20 shillings to the pound until 1971.

In 1948 money, this would have been around a dollar. That was the last year that there were 4 dollars to the pound I think. 5/6 would be about worth just under £12 today in 1948 buying power.
Value of 1948 British pounds today | UK Inflation Calculator - https://www.in2013dollars.com/uk/inflation/1948

Funny, but I recall my grandmother referring to 5 bob (shillings) as a 'dollar', and my mother used the term. This must have been the exchange rate for decades or even longer

Last edited:
I found some other images, looks like this variant is rare (or they didn't survive). The image on the left is the slim handle, I believe? @Alum Ladd is right again.

Attachments

• tg6mz5z.jpeg
    tg6mz5z.jpeg
    688.4 KB · Views: 22
  • EFBT case.jpg
    EFBT case.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 22
@Alum Ladd is right again.
Just a wild guess Brother @filedog ! I recalled seeing the case on Mr. Razor's site.

Love those handles in the first photo! The only ones that I've seen is this on the 1943 Service Set
proxy.php

Looks to be a completely different design to the 'Fat and 'Thin' handles. There's no top 'collar' and just the continuous fluting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom