What's new

End of an era: Martin Brodeur to test free agency!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
!!! :yikes:
Please tell me it isn't so
proxy.php
proxy.php

June 7, 2014 – 1:08 am by Ryan Phillips

"It appears that Martin Brodeur’s time with the New Jersey Devils has finally come to an end. After 24 years with the Devils organization, Brodeur claims that he will test free agency this summer.

Brodeur is widely considered the greatest goaltender in NHL history. During his 21-year [pro], career [3 yrs in the AHL - i.e., developmental phase], he has set dozens of records and won three Stanley Cups. He has also spent his entire career as a New Jersey Devil, after the team selected him with the 20th overall pick in the 1990 NHL Draft. It would be an absolute tragedy if the 42-year-old finished his career elsewhere.

Brodeur has not completely ruled out a return to the Devils, but claimed that he does not want to "mess up the cards" for the team, which acquired Cory Schneider as its primary goaltender last year. Brodeur appeared in 39 games this season, after getting time in 29 contests during the 2012-13 campaign. He has claimed that he wants to play one more season and would join any team if he got a chance to be the starting net-minder, but would take a backup role on a [Cup] contender"...

"After doing all of that [his list of team & personal honors and a 'shoo-in' for 1st year HOF honors] for just one team Brodeur should retire as a member of the Devils. But any franchise would be lucky to have him as a member of its team".

Read More: http://network.yardbarker.com/nhl/article_external/end_of_an_era_martin_brodeur_to_test_free_agency/16613468?linksrc=foxmiddle_nhl

proxy.php
proxy.php

Read More: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/258933-Martin-Brodeur-Arguably-the-Greatest-Goaltender-in-the-NHL!?highlight=martin

proxy.php
"To Guard and Protect (my goal is to deny yours), for only God saves more than Goaltenders". CBJ

Last edited:

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php
I really didn't think he would comeback...great career with one team (you don't see that around too much these days in the NHL :001_rolle ), front office job assured...'it must be for the love of the game'.

Besides the fact that Jacques Plante, Glenn Hall and Grant Fuhr (all Hall of Famers), have been employed by the Blues since their 48yr history...you're in great company...You Go Marty!!! :thumbsup:

Nashville, TN

"The opening minutes of the game held promise. Jaws were clenched and breath was suspended as fans waited to see what veteran goaltender Martin Brodeur would do.

There seemed to be almost a collective sigh of relief when he made his first save, denying Nashville's Colin Wilson on a partial breakaway just 49 seconds into play.

Maybe Brodeur's debut with the St. Louis Blues vs. the Nashville Predators would be the type of magical start many craved to see after he waited months for the opportunity to extend what has already been an illustrious career.

It wasn't.

In his first game since signing with the Blues, Brodeur made some terrific saves. But he missed some important ones, too. He gave up four goals on 24 shots.

"Marty was fine," Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said after his team's 4-3 loss.

If Brodeur had recorded a shutout, it would've been tabbed as a heroic beginning to a new chapter -- however disconcerting it was to see him in anything but a New Jersey Devils sweater after he switched allegiances following more than two decades with one team.

Read More: http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11982488/nhl-martin-brodeur-return-st-louis-blues-taint-legacy

proxy.php

'Brodeur is very much a temporary stopgap for the Blues, who are expecting goalie Brian Elliot to return from a knee injury within the next week or two. It’s been reported Brodeur’s one-year, prorated and bonus-laden $700,000 deal contains no sort of no-trade or no-move clause, and there is no gentleman’s agreement not to move him, either. St. Louis general manager Doug Armstrong has been adamant Elliot and Jake Allen are his goalies, and Brodeur doesn’t fit into their long-term plans.

So will he be traded
proxy.php
Waived
proxy.php
Brodeur came back to play for a contender and to see a different organization. He wants to stay in hockey once he finally retires, so he said the experience and exposure to ways of doing things outside of New Jersey would be good for him".

Read More: http://nypost.com/2014/12/05/martin-brodeurs-complicated-farewell-begins/

[FONT=&amp]
proxy.php
"[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]In today's level of play, you can't afford to be average". Martin 'The Door' Brodeur [/FONT]

Last edited:
It appear that Brodeur, like Dominik Hasek, doesn't realize his career has come to an end. With utmost respect to Mr. Brodeur, 24 glorious years in the NHL, and a NHL net minder at 42 years old is an achievement beyond compare. Perhaps consider coaching.

Last edited:
wait what? how on earth did i miss this news. devils fan since i knew what the word hockey was. i seriously do think he should have retired a devil. about his age i know im getting up there but heck id throw on the skates and play if i was offered to play (hey i can dream right?) and im knocking on 39. i have the utmost respect for him but i got a little dizzy and just about had a anxiety attack when i saw him in the blues jersey......:blink:. as a LOOOOOOOOOONG time die hard fan of his this just took a tiny bit of my soul away

4 goals from 24 isn't great net minding. I guess, like he says, getting some exposure to how teams other than NJ do things will help him to stay in hockey after his playing career. I also assume he will get a one day contract with NJ to ceremoniously end his career once he steps off the ice.

I don't think he can really compete too much with the other current top goalies on a day to day basis. But, I bet he becomes a lot more attractive as a team heads deep into the playoffs and needs to rest their top goalie while putting in someone who has a history of performing in the moment....

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
It is time. :blush:

Associated Press - St. Louis - 28 Jan 15

proxy.php
"Martin Brodeur is retiring to take a front office job (assistant GM), with the St. Louis Blues. The New Jersey Devils have a spot waiting for one of the greatest goaltenders in NHL history whenever he is ready to come back home.

"Absolutely. He is aware of that and has always been aware of that," Devils president and general manager Lou Lamoriello said Tuesday. "He could have come back even now if he wanted to."

The 10-time All-Star and four-time Vezina Trophy winner finished his career with St. Louis after a standout, two-decade run with New Jersey. A news conference was set for Thursday morning before the Blues return from the All-Star break to play Nashville.

"It's kind of sad to see a guy like him hang `em up," said Brian Elliott, the Blues' All-Star goalie. "I'm sure it's a tough decision, but I was grateful to be on the same team with him if only for a little bit."

The 42-year-old Brodeur wrapped up his 22-year career with St. Louis after signing as a free agent on Dec. 2. He was 3-3 with a 2.87 goals-against average and in his final victory became the fifth-oldest goalie to post a shutout in a 3-0 win over Colorado on Dec. 29.

He last played on Jan. 2 in a loss at Anaheim and had not returned since being granted a one-week leave of absence on Jan. 14. Brodeur had dropped to third on the depth chart after Elliott returned from a knee injury, with 24-year-old Jake Allen sharing the position, but teammates are happy he'll still be around to help.

Read More: http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/brodeur-to-retire-join-st-louis-blues-front-office/ar-AA8E2cj

proxy.php

View Marty through the years: http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/martin-brodeur-through-the-years/ss-AA8E0Xc

Marty will retire as the NHL's all-time leader in games played, wins and shutouts among goaltenders. :thumbsup:

[FONT=&amp]
proxy.php
"[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]"I was concerned enough to leave the game and [/FONT][FONT=&amp]I'm leaving the game with a big smile on my face ". Martin 'The Door' Brodeur [/FONT]

Last edited:
Top Bottom