What's new

Dry Vermouth Options

Hello,
I'm finishing up my last of six large bottle of Noilly Pratt dry vermouth. I stockpiled once they decided to stop making the "American" formulation. So, I'm on the prowl for a dry vermouth for my martinis. If there is already a thread on this I apologize. I tried searching and failed to find anything.

I've tried Dolin dry vermouth and it was okay. The French formulation of NP dry vermouth is okay. Anyone found anything better? I generally use Junipero or Beefeater for my martini's and add a lemon twist. Sometimes a dash of orange bitters.

Anyone making similar martinis and found a good dry vermouth? I understand tastes differ, just looking for some suggestions.

Cheers in advance,
P

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
It's pretty widely available. You can also check out our nifty liquor store search tool to look for bottles near you when you're out here: http://www.oregonliquorsearch.com/

There's also a burgeoning craft distillery scene in Oregon (in addition to great beer and wind), so if you have time, try to sample some of the other local spirits. Feel free to PM me for suggestions.

Since you are between vermouths right now and you are already adding a lot of citrus to the drink, this may be a good opportunity to just use a dash of Cointreu or something in your next drink (rather than the vermouth). Not suggesting this as a long term alternative per se, just something to do in the interim.

What's the difference in the NP formulation? I don't drink anymore, but buy NP for my wife and guests and haven't had anyone comment on the taste. I guess after the third martini you can't tell or remember. My habit was to buy French dry vermouth (NP) and Italian sweet. Another dry to try would be Boissiere; I remember it as being pretty good with Plymouth gin.

Since you're making martinis with it, I'd stay away from any of the boutique brands like Vya, etc. - there's way TOO much flavor in there for a martini (same problem as with the new NP). Have you tried any of the tried and true workhorses like Cinzano, M&R? Both of their whites are inoffensive and well balanced for a dry martini.

This is really kind of odd for me. I love gin and find it one of the grandest of all spirits for cocktails. Yet when the whole Noilly Pratt issue came on a few years ago I was really unsure what to make of it. I was a complete Martini newb and wouldn't have known a good one from bad. Well, unless it was made with that rubbing alcohol called vodka but you get the point. I am still not experienced enough to really know what is what. However, one sip of the new/old NP was an immediate turn on for me. The American version of NP just wasn't as nice to me. So for me, I can live with the 'new' Noilly and think it would be fine in my Martinis...but maybe not anyone else. Other than that, I have no clue about other Vermouths.

Cheers, Todd

Good god man, I love a good martini as much as the next guy, but 6 large bottles would take me at least 3 lifetimes at 3 drops per martini. I hope for your livers sake you use a lot more vermouth in your martini than I do.
I make 'em around 4 or 8 to one. So I'm doing about 2 oz gin to 1/2 or 1/4 oz vermouth. I'm old school on my martini's. Just the way I like them; to each his own.

Since you're making martinis with it, I'd stay away from any of the boutique brands like Vya, etc. - there's way TOO much flavor in there for a martini (same problem as with the new NP). Have you tried any of the tried and true workhorses like Cinzano, M&R? Both of their whites are inoffensive and well balanced for a dry martini.
I will take this to heart my good man. Excellent advice. Since I like mine around 6 to 1 this may work. I haven't tried Cinz or M&R in ages. The inertia of making them the same way for years may take some time, but I'll look at this as an opportunity to experiment. Thanks.

Follow-up...
First, I want to apologize to JPDyson. I got a little uppity about martini's for a moment and posted a less than gentlemanly reply in my estimation. I deleted it quickly, but if anyone read it, I apologize. I don't never want to be uppity.
Second, huge thanks to Hirsute. I happened to be visiting Oregon and was able to bring back a bottle of Imbue Bittersweet Vermouth. It is amazing stuff. While great in a martini, drinking it on the rocks with a squeeze of lime is how I'll probably use this fine product. At $27 a bottle, I'll be drinking it slowly.
Third, I am liking Dolin okay, but will pick up some Cinzano and M&R dry vermouths to give them a go during this experimental phase.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. This is such a great community.

P-dubya

Top Bottom