What's new

Dovo - a good place to start ?

I've made a decision to start using a straight razor. Would the Dovo ebony handle straight razor- 5/8" SS be a good one to start with. If so where would I send it to get it honed ?

http://bestgroomingtools.com/produc...d=229&osCsid=6bfe665023ac6a724dc45e0d7ad2a271

It would be an outstanding razor to start out with. If you'd like - PM me and you can send it to me, and i'd be happy to hone 'er up for you, gratis. (All you'd pay would be the actual cost of shiping to get the razor back to ya!) :thumbup:

Those are quite stiking razors BTW.

I'm was just in the same position as you.

If you want a new Dovo, you might consider ordering from Tony, at The Well Shaved Gentleman. His razors come pre-honed, plus, that seems to be the best place to get a strop. Just bought a strop from him. He is VERY friendly and helpful.

Or, if you order from Classic Shaving, you can have them have it honed by Lynn, the master of StraightRazorPlace, before it comes to you. Seems like another good option.

Or you look around here and SRP for a good used, prehoned razor (cheaper option). That's what I just did. I'm happy.

Someone who knows about straight razors can perhaps advise whether that stainless you are looking at (also available at classic) is worth the premium over their regular steel.

-Mo

@joel - Great ! I just might take you up on that. Thank you!
@moses - WOW...I hadn't looked at Classic Shaving...what a selection ! ...I see some others that I like now :001_unsur

Lynn (the same guy who does the honing for classicshaving) is selling several shave-ready straights on SRP for under $50.

This may be the way to go if you're looking to get a shave-ready razor for as little $ as possible (unless you wait for Joel to start selling some of the e-bay straights he's refurbishing.

If you want brand new, then Joel's offer is very kind, as sharpening will set you back $20 on top of the price of the razor (even if you pay for shipping to and from Joel, you'll save $).

Hey Joel,

I was under the impression that stainless razors were harder to hone and sharpen than regular carbon steel. However, I'm a relative newbie so I don't know "squat" about it. I've given thought to purchasing a stainless razor but reading about them being harder to hone and get sharp has kept me from it. Should I not be so concerned about it? Thanks.

Tom

Can't speak for Joel, Tom,
but I wouldn't worry about it. Stainless razors used to get a really bad rap over at SRP, but I find it to be largely unfounded. I have several Henkels Friodur razors that are stainless, as well as a Hess, and none of them are THAT much harder to hone than any other razor I have, and they more than make up for it by how long they last as well as corrosion resistance. Stainless is very forgiving. Think of it like this. The diamond, carborundum, garnet or sapphire grit in the typical hone is far far harder than the hardest steel made. It will sharpen.
And if Joel's gonna do it for you the first time, that's a win-win situation in my opinion; I sharpen my own razors, but would have almost killed for the same offer when I was first starting out. I think you'll do fine with that Dovo.
John P.

Actually, the stainless don't really get a bad rap at SRP. They're not harder to hone...they just take more time. And Henkels Friodur's are among the SRP favorites.

So as long as someone hones it up for the first time for ya I wouldn't worry about it either.

Erm - hone a new razor? Why? They are honed at the factory prior to shipment. I was in Stuttgart last year and bought a new DOVO from a shop just off the Wilhelmsplatz. Believe me it did not need honing. Leave the hone in its box and get a good hanging strop - they are the best, especially the old one that have been used a bit. :biggrin:

I've yet to buy a new razor that was shave ready. And the first word at SRP for anyone who buys a new razor is to be ready to hone it, because odds are, it will not be shave ready.

Randy

Erm - hone a new razor? Why? They are honed at the factory prior to shipment. I was in Stuttgart last year and bought a new DOVO from a shop just off the Wilhelmsplatz. Believe me it did not need honing. Leave the hone in its box and get a good hanging strop - they are the best, especially the old one that have been used a bit. :biggrin:
I'm not a straight user (yet), but this sounds like it is contrary to what I have heard from ... well... all straight shavers I've heard from on the topic of buying a new straight razor. Any of you straight users want to chime in here?

I'm not a straight user (yet), but this sounds like it is contrary to what I have heard from ... well... all straight shavers I've heard from on the topic of buying a new straight razor. Any of you straight users want to chime in here?

Everything I've ever read says the same thing. Be ready to hone or have it honed.

Sorry bud - you got lucky.... really really lucky. Most straights are not shave ready out of the box. Many of us here have 100+ razors, and have purchased quite a few new razors.... personally - I have never received a new in box razor that was shave ready.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Joel is right, most are not ready. A lot of brand new Dovos pass through my shop in a year and every one has needed honing to make it shave ready. That said though some don't need much and I have done a lot on a 9.0 micron pasted paddle but most will need more....a Belgian, Norton , etc...

Tony

Actually, the stainless don't really get a bad rap at SRP. They're not harder to hone...they just take more time. And Henkels Friodur's are among the SRP favorites.

Ahhh, you are correct, now....but stainless used to get a REALLY bad rap at SRP. I think the turn around happened right about when Mike Thompson (who used to make scales but has since left the group) sent his Friodur to Lynn to try out. Before that you would be hard pressed to find much good posted about stainless. I remember claims that it would be "sharp, but not as sharp" or that it would not take as good of an edge...
Regardless, you are correct about Friodurs being well thought of, now.
FWIW in those days (like 2003 was so long ago...) Dovo's got badmouthed a bit too...which is no longer the case. Everyone wanted Ducks or TI's, it seemed.
Regardless, I think that Dovo stainless razor will be just fine.
John P.

Could be, I was not on the forum in 2003 so I wouldn't know. And Ducks and TI's still seem to be among favorites. Although a few other have come out of the woodwork. I love Worldmasters for instance. Some people love the Boker Red Injun and there a couple of people that are in love with Dorko's. It all varies with taste.

Yeah, things seemed (to me) to be a little more volatile in those days too.
Curiosity have you tried a Dorko? I've been meaning to try one, but right now they usually are just out of reach of my wallet. They are nice looking razors. I have a few wonderedges but got those a few years ago during a bout of stupidity involving a bidding war... :rolleyes: and honestly like my Dovos just as well...
Haven't tried a worldmaster, either. Most of mine are older, US and German makes, no Dorkos, however. Also some English and one or two Swedish blades.
I only have one Spanish one, the big Filarmonica from ClassicShaving, not sure if they still sell it or not.

As for razors being shave ready, I've actually been pretty lucky with Dovo's. I've had 3 of them and only one was not shave ready but that one was purchased in a mall, where no doubt every man in town had foolishly ran his thumb on the edge, shaved his arm, and cut paper with it.....

John P.

Yeah, things seemed (to me) to be a little more volatile in those days too.
Curiosity have you tried a Dorko? I've been meaning to try one, but right now they usually are just out of reach of my wallet. They are nice looking razors. I have a few wonderedges but got those a few years ago during a bout of stupidity involving a bidding war... :rolleyes: and honestly like my Dovos just as well...
Haven't tried a worldmaster, either. Most of mine are older, US and German makes, no Dorkos, however. Also some English and one or two Swedish blades.
I only have one Spanish one, the big Filarmonica from ClassicShaving, not sure if they still sell it or not.

As for razors being shave ready, I've actually been pretty lucky with Dovo's. I've had 3 of them and only one was not shave ready but that one was purchased in a mall, where no doubt every man in town had foolishly ran his thumb on the edge, shaved his arm, and cut paper with it.....

John P.

John,
If you get a dorko - make sure you get a vintage one... the newer ones I have seen ground by Wacker are medeocre at best (in my opinion). Personally - I am not a fan of Wacker's work, and think it is a big step down (in the quality department) from TI... which is pretty sad. :eek:

Once I buy the Dovo and get it honed, what strop would be recommended for this size razor ?

Top Bottom