What's new

Double Arrow Decadence

First shave with one of my new DA's.
If you have not gotten one yet, GET ONE!

My amateurish honing, and a home brew strop=smooth shaving bliss.

The setup was Col. Conk Bay rum, with Trader Joes honey mango cream for superlather, hot shower, boar brush, and a sharp chinese hunk of steel.

The blade needs a bit more work especially on the heel, but best shave with a straight yet.

Double Arrows are definitely worth the price. If you get the scales replaced, they can come out very nicely, as evidenced in these photos. :smile:

Credit goes to Mike (lax1mxr) for the wonderful scales.

Some pics of my Work in progress.
The scales.
proxy.php

The blade progress.
Stabilizers removed at heel.
Jimps re-worked
Tang sloped
French point.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

You know, I am never a big fan of french points, they always look sloppy to me, like someone was trying to modify the end and gave up halfway. The only time Ive seen ones that I like, are Bill Ellis'. Guess thats not much of a surprise though :biggrin:

Well, it's the only one I could attempt with my limited tool selection.

Next time may be a spanish point.

a little at a time, and for the point, i would dunk in cold water after every light pass.

This Da was modded a while back, and had been in frosted blue acrylic. I messed around with those scales too much and ended up needing to do a re-scale.

So, I went for laminated beech over amber acrylic. No wedge pin needed, flathead countersunk pivot screw.

Still needs a little finishing, and a hone job.

Cool I have a dremel. Didn't know it was possible to do those type of modifications with one. I really like the ones you did.

Did you use the cutting disc to remove the Stabilizer?

Actually, I used a green grinding wheel, then a red emery wheel(rubberized) then a flap disk, then a grey emery wheel.

If I do it again, it would be just the flap disk, as it seems to leave a smoother finish.

Shave number 5 with my un-modified DA.

I had skipped a straight shave, in an attempt to give my face a rest (shave #4 was a little heavy handed and over enthusiastic)

Went with my Red-Tip loaded with a Vidyut Super-Max, and got a great shave.

Well, after 3 days of no shaving, I couldn't wait till tomorrow morning, so I did it tonight.

Hot shower, Jack Black Beard Lube(not a fan normally, but may be a straight staple) C.O.Bigelow.

As I was in no rush, I took my time letting the beard lube work as I built my lather.

15-20 passes on my home-brew strop (had been practicing the last few days, so it was very well stropped)

Like freaking BUTTER!

99% bbs, with no DE touch-up.

The 1% left is the same spots that are left even after a DE shave(when not bbs) No irritation, no cuts, nicks weepers. :w00t:

Each pass was done with purpose and determination. No stopping with the blade touching, and intent concentration on the angle of the blade.

And, right side neck, done with left hand(I am a southpaw) ATG, with my arm totally blocking the view. ALL BY TOUCH!

All the reading in the forums on how to get a Straight shave done really helps, almost as much as practice.

I followed up with a generous splash of Pinauds Lilac Vegetal, no burn, and a nice relaxing floral scent to drift of to sleep whilst faceturbating.:lol:

I just hate the grip of the DA compared to my Wapi. It is almost slipping in my hands and that's a uncomfortable feeling to have when shaving with straight.

Well, my re-worked and re-scaled DA is finished :w00t:

My pinning needs some serious help, I may go with some Corby Bolts next time, as the peening of brass rod leaves lots to be desired.

All that is left now is to hone it up, and give it a go!
I spent a little time with the 15um film last night, still have a ways to go, one little flat spot in the bevel still, will likely be gone in 15 or 20 passes.

I present to you, the Flying V Double Arrow!
Scaled in Lacewood with 15 coats of spray on clear poly/acrylic(I forget)
Plexiglas spacer.
French point.
JuniorJimps(thanks for the name Seraphim)
Sloped tang.
Stabilizers removed from heel.

Balance point is just slightly blade heavy, but not noticeable unless you try and balance on your finger.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom