What's new

Dopp/wash bag for carry-on?

Hi all,

I’ve got a trip to the USA planned for next month, whether it goes ahead or not is another matter...

Due to travelling on a budget I’m doing carry on only and my current ashwood leather dopp might be a little big for one bag.

Was thinking of getting a military style roll-up wash bag but have seen some discussion here that they don’t roll up very compact. Any of you ever use one of these for carry on?

I need to carry the following:

Razor (either a fusion or sensor)
Clubman synthetic shaving brush
Palmolive shaving stick
Hair brush
Toothbrush
Deodorant

Will the above all fit in a military roll or should I just stick with the standard dopp? My ultimate goal is saving some space in the luggage.

Minimal liquids will be carried separately for ease of getting through security.

Dimensions of the Ashwood bag are 25x14x11.5 if that helps.

Thanks in advance,

R

I use a leather Dopp kit with no structure or frame. Works fine, and saves space. I have the same Sensor razor I have used for years before my switch to DE shaving. I use a Phoenix Accotrements synthetic-dries quickly, lathers great. I use Bigelow cream which is sold im a travel size tube for $6 on Amazon. I have started to put balm in a Humangear Gotoob. Not sure about that one, but we'll see. My motto: "Death Before Checking Bags!"

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@rmac if your dop bag dimensions are in inches, it is almost as big as my whole carry-on bag. My checked luggage dop bag is 260mm x 150mm x 70mm.

I know that you are talking about carry-on luggage but here is my checked luggage dop bag.
IMG_20211221_112432.jpg
IMG_20211221_112527.jpg

It contains:
Travel strop​
Straight razor​
Mini pasted balsa strop​
Shave mirror acrylic​
Hand towel​
Face soap​
Razor cleaning spong​
Aftershave splash​
Brush​
Brush tube​
Alum stick​
Arko stick​
IMG_20211221_112745.jpg

My carry on suitcase has pockets inside the lid. If I'm traveling light I don't even bother with a shaving bag, I just put a razor, my Wee Scot, a La Toja shave stick, and one or two tucks of blades in those pockets.

Once upon a time I racked up many air miles and became a ‘one bag’ (crayon only) traveler.

My shaving kit is more than adequate (and it takes remarkably little space in my Dopp kit):
La Toja stick
Simpson’s Wee Scot brush
Small plastic container of AS (carried with my liquids)

If I am staying in one place for a bit, I take my Lord L6 razor and and mail blades to the hotel.

If I need to move around, then I resort to a cart.

Herschel make some really nice dopp travel toiletry bags. They have a decent selection on Amazon. Come in 3L and 5L sizes. The 5L is perfect for my needs.

The Herschel looks good but after checking the dimensions it’s actually pretty much the same size as the Ashwood dopp, give or take a few centimetres.

I’ve actually figured out that I can Fit everything in the Ashwood if I eliminate the shave brush and stick, just means that I have to take a brushless cream like Harry’s in the liquid section.

Thanks for the input,

R

Sir rmac, with all due respects, you can easily tote your shave items in a quart sized zip lock plastic bag!
It may not be as aesthetic as a leather dopp, but you're doing this minimalistic!
Pack some warm clothes and have a wonderful trip!!

I use a leather Dopp kit with no structure or frame. Works fine, and saves space. I have the same Sensor razor I have used for years before my switch to DE shaving. I use a Phoenix Accotrements synthetic-dries quickly, lathers great. I use Bigelow cream which is sold im a travel size tube for $6 on Amazon. I have started to put balm in a Humangear Gotoob. Not sure about that one, but we'll see. My motto: "Death Before Checking Bags!"

I have a set of the gotoobs myself- 2 of the 100ml and 3 of the 75ml. Haven’t used them before but have heard favourable reviews.

Usually don’t like using hotel / hostel toiletries so I plan on decanting the following:

Man cave Body wash 100ml
Nivea face wash 100ml
Harry’s shave cream 75ml
Harry’s after shave 75ml
Nivea moisturiser 75ml

I might substitute the body wash for 2 in 1 shampoo/conditioner but for now this is what I’m bringing 😊

Sir rmac, with all due respects, you can easily tote your shave items in a quart sized zip lock plastic bag!
It may not be as aesthetic as a leather dopp, but you're doing this minimalistic!
Pack some warm clothes and have a wonderful trip!!

I know, but it’s nice to add a bit of class to otherwise mundane travel!

I’ve done the minimalist zip lock bag before and they usually end up ripping or popping open in luggage, making them essentially useless.

I will have a great trip, thanks for your input!

R

Just as an update guys, I ended up taking my old trustworthy Gillette sensor but stupidly only brought one cartridge, 😖.

Anyway the shaves were fine until a few nights ago when I started getting ingrown hairs galore and razor cuts where I never usually get them! I tried several CVS and Wallgreens but everywhere is sold out of sensors 😒

Don’t shout at me, but I ended up buying a cheap Norelco 3-headed electric shaver just to see me through till the end of my trip. Shaves are obviously not as close as a blade but are enough to allow wearing of a face mask (not possible with stubble) and for quick touch-ups before heading out for the night.

The device cost me all of 20 dollars so I’m not much out of pocket, the only thing that gets me is the cost of replacement heads which are more than the shaver itself!

Thanks,

R.

I use a Tom Bihn 1qt. clear packing cube and can load everything into it I need, and have worked out of it a month straight. It packs small and contains all liquids too. A 1 qt/L ziplock does provide the same storage.

90E8C27E-FBAC-43D8-8B17-2ACF7B2CF903.jpeg

linty1

My wallet cries.
I was a gifted a Dove Men's dopp kitt with some dove stuff inside, its quite a nice dopp bag with stiffer mesh sides, so whatever you throw in, dries easily.

The Dove stuff has since long been used but the bag I keep at work and containe a toothbrush/plastic cup, facewash, nailclippers, and toothpaste.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Just as an update guys, I ended up taking my old trustworthy Gillette sensor but stupidly only brought one cartridge, 😖.

Anyway the shaves were fine until a few nights ago when I started getting ingrown hairs galore and razor cuts where I never usually get them! I tried several CVS and Wallgreens but everywhere is sold out of sensors 😒

Don’t shout at me, but I ended up buying a cheap Norelco 3-headed electric shaver just to see me through till the end of my trip. Shaves are obviously not as close as a blade but are enough to allow wearing of a face mask (not possible with stubble) and for quick touch-ups before heading out for the night.

The device cost me all of 20 dollars so I’m not much out of pocket, the only thing that gets me is the cost of replacement heads which are more than the shaver itself!

Thanks,

R.
Not a huge investment! Hey what did you do for the bag?

My vote for travel bag, bad bags. Best Dopp kit ever.

I have an obsession with travel dopp kits, travelling is part of my job and I can end up in anything from a 5 star to a tent. Depending on what I'm doing I have a different kit ready to go. In my carry on kit it's a small Range Leather dopp bag with a Trac 2 handle (I can still buy blades at almost any drug store) and an Edwin Jagger folding travel brush with a DR Harris shave stick, tooth brush and goo tubes. But I have a couple other larger kits for travel that have DE razors and larger brushes but due to DE blades I have to check them.

I got this today. It has a separate compartment which is waterproof but I'll use it for my travel shaving soap containers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-02-12-14-03-48-541_in.amazon.mShop.android.shopping~(1).jpg
    Screenshot_2022-02-12-14-03-48-541_in.amazon.mShop.android.shopping~(1).jpg
    815.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_2022-02-12-14-03-56-900_in.amazon.mShop.android.shopping~(1).jpg
    Screenshot_2022-02-12-14-03-56-900_in.amazon.mShop.android.shopping~(1).jpg
    646.5 KB · Views: 10
Not a huge investment! Hey what did you do for the bag?

My vote for travel bag, bad bags. Best Dopp kit ever.

Yea not a huge investment, and the shave quality is good enough to get me through at least half of the day.

In terms of bag I ended up going with the Ashwood and the clear osprey simply because the clear bag fits inside the Ashwood so saves space and looks good when on display in the hotel room 😊

Top Bottom