What's new

Does Philip Morris Still Make English Ovals? Where To Buy?

Gents, this venerable old brand of cigarette was always a bit of class in a pedestrian cigarette market. The packaging alone was class and the oval shape of the smokes was a cool factor. I haven't smoked in a long while but every so often the urge hits for a cigarette or my old pipes. When the former I always try to find a high quality cigarette. The English Ovals were always a step above the regular old American brands and though unfiltered and a pretty hefty nicotine hit, I manage to get one down and gift the rest to to smoker friends. I cannot find them online and have started looking at local listings for smoke shops that may have them. In the meantime, do any of you know if they are still around? BTW, for you you whipper snappers out there, English Ovals are purely American. Made by Philip Morris. They are way cool looking.

proxy.php

I also smoked these on occasion. I will check around town.

I also enjoyed the Players Navy Cut, but those have disappeared locally.

I do know that I have inquired about the Players Navy cut because I like the occasional nonfiltered cigarette and my local tobacconist has said a lot of the European cigarette companies don't bother any more because of all the restrictions in the good ole USA on importing their products. I also haven't seen English ovals which I used to see on occasion. I am sorry but I don't know why Phillip Morris would stop making them. I have been told that the cost of nonfiltered cigarettes like Pall mall and lucky strike make them prohibitive. People just don't buy them because they cost so much for a carton. At least that is what my local tobacconist told me that is why they don't carry them anymore. I suppose with a filter they don't have to put as much tobacco in the cigarette.

Rick

EO's were a non filter cigarette that could knock you on your butt they were so strong when fresh. One of the few cigarettes i've tried years and years ago!

I feel really old now thank you very much!!!! :wheelchair:

EO's were a non filter cigarette that could knock you on your butt they were so strong when fresh. One of the few cigarettes i've tried years and years ago!

I feel really old now thank you very much!!!! :wheelchair:

Yeah, but they were good!

Welcome to the Old Folks Home, Gramps. :)

I too use to smoke them......but if you ever had the opportunity to smoke Balkan Sobranie, you have smoke the most heavenly cigarette in the world!
Haven’t seen those since the late 70’s. They were good.
I think FSC (Fire Safety Code) paper requirements killed off many of the imports and higher end cigarettes.

I’ve been fooling around with blending my own mix for cigarettes. Virginia, Turkish, Burley and Perique. Much better than commercial mixes.

The loss of players navy cut here in the states is why I stopped smoking cigarettes.

I liked Lucky strikes a lot, camels sort of, but not pall mall.

I too use to smoke them......but if you ever had the opportunity to smoke Balkan Sobranie, you have smoke the most heavenly cigarette in the world!

I have. I think you may mean the Sobranie Black Russian? They are awesome but cost prohibitive to smoke! For a pack of Sobranie Black Russian Cigarettes you can buy a tin of pipe tobacco and get much more enjoyment and flavor out of it.

I have. I think you may mean the Sobranie Black Russian? They are awesome but cost prohibitive to smoke! For a pack of Sobranie Black Russian Cigarettes you can buy a tin of pipe tobacco and get much more enjoyment and flavor out of it.

I don’t know exactly what they meant, but one used to be able to buy filterless Balkan Sobranies in a simple white box (not the filtered cocktail ciggies) in the 1980s, and they were definitely the best cigarette I ever smoked. When they stopped making them thanks to a change in EC rules, I read that John Osborne the English playwright wrote a piece for The Times or The Telegraph about the end of his beloved ciggies, and the maker apparently sent him a barnload of them to say thanks. Sadly, the cigarettes got the better of him. I sometimes fantasise that they’re still out there somewhere. They were superb smokes.

I remember EOs ... yeah, they packed quite a punch.

One cigarette that I miss from my youth is Nat Sherman's Virginia Circles.
While they continue to make most of their specialty blends, the VC's have disappeared.
This was my go-to cigarette for about 20 years when I wantd something that was a step-up from regular smokes.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
[...] One cigarette that I miss from my youth is Nat Sherman's Virginia Circles.
While they continue to make most of their specialty blends, the VC's have disappeared.
This was my go-to cigarette for about 20 years when I wanted something that was a step-up from regular smokes.
dpm:
When I don't have the time to enjoy a cigar (after lunch, dinner ect...), and when I can get them, I enjoy Nat Sherman's Havana Ovals (a 4in brown maduro paper, non-filtered medium / robust flavor and a bold, slightly tangy taste). :yesnod:

proxy.php

proxy.php
"Smokers are the kindest people ever...until they [run out of] smokes'. Smokaboi

Top Bottom