What's new

Doc marten shoes

The last time I looked, they still had an English made line that was significantly higher priced than their Chinese made offerings.

I’ve got a British made pair of shoes that I picked up used for $10-20 in the mid 90’s. Yep, they do last forever and I’d still wear mine if the toe support cardboard (whatever) liner hadn’t buckled down onto my toes.
There are some very skilled cobblers that could probably fix that if you wanted to breath new life into them.

My DM's in the 80's were fantastic. Wish I never parted with them. Practically indestructible.

The new breed of DM's just don't seem to last nearly as long and I've moved on from the brand.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I recently sold a pair of DM’s that I had purchased in the early 90’s. They were the 939 Ben Boot made from Crazy Horse leather and they were Made in England and were well-crafted.

However, it got to a point when I hardly ever wore them and that’s why, after so many years, they still looked great (and being well-maintained didn’t hurt either ;) ).

After selling them, I immediately became the poster child for seller’s remorse. :lol:
IMG_4166.jpeg

I always had a thin insole in them so the footbeds were pristine even after all those years.
IMG_4167.jpeg
IMG_4169.jpeg
IMG_4168.jpeg

Ah. Like so many things. Samsonite luggage is a great example - if you have an old suitcase from the ‘80s you will still be using it, but if you bought one last year it will be broken by now. It was intentional too. Venture capitalists saw that buying the company and cutting quality would reduce costs and also increase sales because customers would have to keep buying replacements. How can it be that companies become so much more profitable when they make the product worse?

Anyway, sad to hear Docs went the same way.
I quit using Samsonite luggage because of the 90-91 Gulf War. The magnesium frames were just too much fun with airport security. Apparently you could hollow out a place for an igniter that won’t show up on X-Ray, and a magnesium fire is very difficult to extinguish.

I had my 5” Samsonite briefcase confiscated in Japan, and in Hong Kong a prepubescent armed guard was called over to inspect my Samsonite suitcase. He waved his select-fire rifle around to point at whatever he wanted me to move next ….

I think I took that suitcase to Goodwill a few years ago.

I’ve been in product development for 33 years. In that time, it has become increasingly difficult to sell quality. Price wins all too often. Yes, there are still luxury goods, as everyone here knows, but that can be a very challenging and capricious market.

I used to wear these in my younger days (ca 2000-2003) when they were still made in the UK. They are not for you if you have any kind of foot pain. Only the sole is comfortable, the rest of the shoe is very stiff.

If you care about being animal-free/vegan/etc. then I think Vegetarian Shoes took over the manufacturing of the vegan line from Doc Martens.
Look for their "Airseal" shoes. They are still made in the UK.

Last edited:
I’ve been in product development for 33 years. In that time, it has become increasingly difficult to sell quality. Price wins all too often. Yes, there are still luxury goods, as everyone here knows, but that can be a very challenging and capricious market.
Was this true for all of the 33 years, or did you start to notice it more in the last 20? IMO, there was a big shift after 9/11 and the subsequent dotcom bubble going bust. As a result of fed policy, easy money flooded the economy changing the way people did business from engineering to financial engineering. The mantra became "move supply chain to china and keep prices the same and spend the excess on marketing and acquisitions" which resulted in the destruction of anyone that wasn't following the mantra.

Was this true for all of the 33 years, or did you start to notice it more in the last 20? IMO, there was a big shift after 9/11 and the subsequent dotcom bubble going bust. As a result of fed policy, easy money flooded the economy changing the way people did business from engineering to financial engineering. The mantra became "move supply chain to china and keep prices the same and spend the excess on marketing and acquisitions" which resulted in the destruction of anyone that wasn't following the mantra.
It was already a trend in the early 90s. Yes, there is also a permanent shift associated with every bust cycle though.

Never been a fan, they are a wide fitting shoe and boot, they don't do the standard F fit UK, or the standard D fit if you are in the US, personally I have never rated them.

Top Bottom