What's new

Do you rinse your soap puck off after use?

I leave any persistent protolather or lather on the puck sit there and just let it dry for some hours before closing the tub. I don't bother rinsing it. I find it act as as a good 'fire starter' for my next lather anyway.

Like that phrase, "fire starter"! This is what I do too. I'm 3017ing, so it doesn't have to wait long, but even by the next day the lather remnants are dry wisps. They do, however, froth immediately once a wet brush hits them. Less time loading and less product wasted down the drain.

I exclusively face lather, so any proto-lather that's left in the mug or tin after loading my brush gets scooped up with my finger and smeared on my face. After shaving, I wipe out the inside of the container with a square of toilet paper, cover it up, and put it back on the shelf.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :001_rolle

You guys had me rinsing my soap and leaving it open to dry today. I assume this is for soaps and not creams in tuns but what about soft soaps (dba Croaps)?

You mean some of you are actually washing your soap??? I think some people went way too deep down the rabbit hole here....
Now all you "traditional" shavers: do you think your grandfathers used to wash their soap? Probably not since most of them probably were of the kind that threw their brush in their shaving mug and let the soap, the lather and the brush wait until they used it again the next day.
Then again, it's just soap. If you like rinsing it by all means do so if that makes you happy.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
honeybadger:
I warm-up my soap with hot water, let it set about 30 seconds, dump and repeat. Then I load my brush with my right hand, face lather and then 'scoop up' any lather left in my mug and 'squeeze' the lather from the brush with my left thumb and forefinger. Using my brush, I 'paint' this lather on my face and then place my brush in another mug w/ hot water (to keep warm). :w00t:

After each pass, I repeat the above method. After the last pass (2nd...w/ touch-ups), I rinse any excesses lather out, dry the outside of the mug and then replace the lid. :thumbsup:

[FONT=&amp] "A good lather is half the shave". William Hone[/FONT]

Now all you "traditional" shavers: do you think your grandfathers used to wash their soap? Probably not since most of them probably were of the kind that threw their brush in their shaving mug and let the soap, the lather and the brush wait until they used it again the next day.

If you think my grandmother would have let my grandfather leave a "messy" looking shaving mug on the counter : I think you'd be sorely disappointed. I suspect the brush was washed every time and the mug, at very least, rinsed on the outside and capped.

You mean some of you are actually washing your soap??? I think some people went way too deep down the rabbit hole here....
Then again, it's just soap. If you like rinsing it by all means do so if that makes you happy.
Patently false actually. The below shaving guide from 1906 calls for the soap and the mug to be rinsed and dried after done shaving. Back then there were no antibiotics, and with the constant threat of infection people had to be very careful about bacteria. Bacteria can easily build up on soap, especially if a moist lather and brush is just left sitting there to dry in the mug.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/473753-how-to-shave-book-from-1906

My biggest reason for rinsing is because I do not care for the hard soap build up on the inner sides of my mug. To each his own.

So what about Tabac? It comes in a glass jar with a domed bottom (like a wine bottle), the puck sits on the dome leaving space on the sides underneath the puck. If you rinse or soak the soap water will go past the side of the puck and gets trapped underneath keeping the soap wet from the bottom up. This will make the bottom of the soap weak and slimy, this can't be good so I only use this soap with a damp (not wet) brush and only clean the outside of the jar. This leaves the soap barely wet and it dries quickly even with the lid on.

So what about Tabac? It comes in a glass jar with a domed bottom (like a wine bottle), the puck sits on the dome leaving space on the sides underneath the puck. If you rinse or soak the soap water will go past the side of the puck and gets trapped underneath keeping the soap wet from the bottom up. This will make the bottom of the soap weak and slimy, this can't be good so I only use this soap with a damp (not wet) brush and only clean the outside of the jar. This leaves the soap barely wet and it dries quickly even with the lid on.

Not sure why wet soap isn't good. The "slimy" tabac works just fine for lathering.

Water supply is much cleaner nowadays. I'm sure you'll be fine either way.

Once done I rub arko all over it. I then take a brillo pad and rub off the arko. While doing this I have preheated the oven to 200 degrees. Once I'm quite sure my soap of choice has been thoroughly cleaned I of course Bake for 20 minutes. While my soap is baking I pull out the vacuum sealer. I remove the soap from the oven let sit, once my soap has dropped down 100 degrees, checking by inserting a meat thermometer into only it's center for the most accurate reading I than procede to wrap in cellophane. Once I believe it's thoroughly wrapped I than insert the newly cleaned dried and wrapped soap into the vacuum sealing bag. I than proceed to use the vacuum sealer on the bag to make sure none of that nasty little air can reach my precious puck. I repeat this process daily. Doesn't everyone?

Once done I rub arko all over it. I then take a brillo pad and rub off the arko. While doing this I have preheated the oven to 200 degrees. Once I'm quite sure my soap of choice has been thoroughly cleaned I of course Bake for 20 minutes. While my soap is baking I pull out the vacuum sealer. I remove the soap from the oven let sit, once my soap has dropped down 100 degrees, checking by inserting a meat thermometer into only it's center for the most accurate reading I than procede to wrap in cellophane. Once I believe it's thoroughly wrapped I than insert the newly cleaned dried and wrapped soap into the vacuum sealing bag. I than proceed to use the vacuum sealer on the bag to make sure none of that nasty little air can reach my precious puck. I repeat this process daily. Doesn't everyone?

LMAO. Hey, rinse or no-rinse is a far cry......

but hillarious nontheless :)

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I can see the posts now:

"DO YOU ARKO YOUR SOAP AFTER EACH USE???"

Get ready, boys and girls!

Top Bottom