What's new

Do you map your hair growth?

Do you know your exact hair growth pattern (face & neck) and shave precisely according to it?

• No, I’m not that precise; I simplify it.

• Yes, I have it all mapped out for perfect directional shaving for my entire face and neck.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I can't say that I drew an actual map of my beard. But, yes, I do know the direction the hair grows on each part of my face. If I ignore the growth direction, the razor will remind me. 😉

I feel my beard for rough spots by gently rubbing with my fingers and feeling for feedback. I don't have a map otherwise and I think the entire premise of having one is over complicated and doesn't help anything.

Votes so far are very interesting as it appears to be split in the middle. I personally don’t follow hair growth exactly when shaving my neck because I know north-south gets it done with minimal to no irritation. If I try to go east-west (against the grain), I’m looking at razor burn and multiple weepers.

Leaving microscopic stubble that cannot be seen on some parts of my neck is far more preferable than it being BBS but red.

When I first started DE shaving I had to feel my growth and do my passes accordingly because if I shave against the grain unknowingly that I am doing it has dire consequences.

But now, just like others have said, is a known route so just like driving…there are times I shave and by the time I am done I have no clue how I got there. Muscle memory takes over and my head goes to a happy place and wonders on the vast void of my imagination letting my hands do the work😂

I just finished mapping out the growth pattern for my whiskers and did a first shave using the map. I haven't had any irritation or ingrown hair issues. I decided to do the mapping to see if my sense of direction was correct.

Lo and behold the map reviled that I was shaving across the grains when I thought I would have been shaving with the grain. The results of following the map was that the razor felt smoother as it was going over my face.

I still was able to get a two pass BBS shave, but I could have stopped after the first pass and gotten a DFS+ shave. For me I felt it was worth the time to write down my beard growth pattern.

As with all things shaving, YMMV.

I actually made a map for ATG to show which way my hair grows. It's helpful being new to know and makes my shaves a little smoother by shaving in the right or "wrong" direction :) I did this by feel basically after not shaving for a couple days I can sort of tell which direction is rougher.

Shave Grain Diagram.png

I know the pattern fairly precisely (mentally) but I don't always shave based on the grain. Sometimes, I find the contour of the face takes precedence than strictly following the grain to avoid nicks.

Top Bottom