What's new

do they have any bourbons better for mixing for the price besides evan williams

i like higher proof bourbons and i was thinkin about gettin the 100 proof evan williams has but i was just wonderin.the black label i bought was 1.75 liter for 20 bucks which seemed pretty cheap and it wasnt that bad

For less than $20 for 1.75 liters...I cannot think of one that would be better than Evan Williams black.

A high proof, cheaper bourbon that gets decent reviews is Old Weller Antique Original 107 if you want to shake things up.

Last edited:
No.

I think this bourbon is WAY better than its price might suggest.

Agree. It might be argued the the Bottled in Bond Evan (white label) is a better value for mixed drinks but it certainly won't be cheaper. That said, I personally prefer using a higher proof bourbon in a mixed drink. Old Grandad and Old Forester Signature also spring to mind but will be pricier than either version of Evan Williams. FYI the Evan BIB has a limited distribution ... it doesn't go to every state.
Oh... and wild Turkey 101 too. How could I forget the Turkey?

Last edited:
FYI the Evan BIB has a limited distribution ... it doesn't go to every state.

hmm,that sucks.seems like george dickel(another whiskey i was lookin for)is the same way.would any state that sells the black label sell the BiB though?

would any state that sells the black label sell the BiB though?

No. Last time I looked it only went to about 12 states. That may have changed though... you may be able to google it and find out.

Well it appears that has changed...just found that the white label went nationwide a while ago.
So you should be able to find it no problem.

Last edited:
Benchmark is good for the price(anything Buffalo Trace makes is good :001_smile). Where I live its around 12 dollars for a liter 18 for a 1.75. It is only 80 proof, but for the money its hard to beat...especially if its going to be used for mixing.

Agree. It might be argued the the Bottled in Bond Evan (white label) is a better value for mixed drinks but it certainly won't be cheaper. That said, I personally prefer using a higher proof bourbon in a mixed drink. Old Grandad and Old Forester Signature also spring to mind but will be pricier than either version of Evan Williams. FYI the Evan BIB has a limited distribution ... it doesn't go to every state.
Oh... and wild Turkey 101 too. How could I forget the Turkey?

Agree. Evan Williams Black Label is higher proof than its competitors. Most are 40% ABV, while EW Black is 43%, so it delivers more flavor than the others, IMHO.

Agree. Evan Williams Black Label is higher proof than its competitors. Most are 40% ABV, while EW Black is 43%, so it delivers more flavor than the others, IMHO.

Agree. Evan Williams does make an 80 proof version that comes in a green label. I always wondered why they made it and I've just never felt the need to try it.

I'm all in on the Evan Williams black, Also EV 1783 Small Batch. Another high-proof choice would be Wild Turkey 101.

Hard to beat Evan Williams black for the money. For a buck more per bottle, I am lucky enough to be able to get the white label BIB, which is my garage bourbon, but also gets to play in the house now and then too.

Benchmark is good for the price(anything Buffalo Trace makes is good :001_smile). Where I live its around 12 dollars for a liter 18 for a 1.75. It is only 80 proof, but for the money its hard to beat...especially if its going to be used for mixing.

+1 to Benchmark. When I was in college, I could get it for just about $10 with tax for a liter. Nowadays, it's a toss-up between it and Evan for the best bang-for-the-buck mixing whiskey IMO.

Evan Williams 100 proof white label BIB is one of the best deals out there...one of my go to cheaper bourbons that I use for mixing that is more than decent for straight sippin bourbon...well worth a try. The Black label Evan Williams is a step below the 100 proof White label to me and the price isn't much different around my area.

I think you already have the "best" for the price. Evan Williams black is my everyday bourbon. I have a mnhattan with it (almost) every night. I'll switch to Wild Turkey 101 for variety.

I save the Four Roses, Blanton's, etc., for special occasions.

what about evan williams single barrel or is that more of a sipping bourbon.i was lookin at that once for a cheaper alternative to jim beam's single barrel but i never bought it

what about evan williams single barrel or is that more of a sipping bourbon.i was lookin at that once for a cheaper alternative to jim beam's single barrel but i never bought it

Absolute waste for a mixer, IMHO. Truly, for a mixer, just buy any bourbon. JB single barrel for a mixer? Just buy plain ol' Beam. Or better yet, Old Granddad BIB. Honestly, if you are looking at something just for mixed drinks, you are way over thinking this, in my opinion.

Simply one of the best bangs for the buck in American Whiskey. I think I got a liter for $19.99.

As mentioned above it would be a waste to use this as a mixer and you are over-thinking this...just get some EW black or Benchmark and your good to go for a mixer.

Another option for a mixing bourbon is Ezra Brooks. It's usually a couple of bucks less than EW black label for a 750, and it's 90 proof. It's contract distilled for Luxco by Heaven Hill, so the house-style similarity to EW is no coincidence.

Top Bottom