What's new

Discussion Thread - 2006 Badger & Blade EJ Brush - Horn Handle in Finest Badger

I actually can't believe I am going to write this but I received my brush yesterday and I am sort of disappointed in it. When I got it I soaked it a few times in different scents to get rid of the badger smell and then I got to work with a number of different shaving options to see how it faired. I lathered with Mama Bears Rosemary Mint, Floris Elite shave cream, and C&E Almond. I found it more difficult to get a good lather with any of these than with my old brush. I was put off by the whole thing and went to bed.

This morning I woke up and decided to give it a go with a QED Lavender stick. Results were pretty much the same and honestly I feel it is slightly more coarse/scratchy than what I was using. It is however, bigger, more dense, and heavier than my current brush. Oh, in case anyone is wondering I am using a $69 MH normal silvertip seen here http://www.nashvilleknifeshop.com/mupisishbrme.html
So, my overall impressions of the brush are sort of like this. I didn't NOT like the brush that I was using...I bought the finest because I wanted to feel what a really really soft shaving brush felt like. I wasn't going to buy it at all until I read the hair they were using was special and only used on brushes that cost a whole lot more. What I got feels like a brush made with the same hair as in my $69 brush...only a lot more of it.

On a side note, I got an email from TESC 10 days ago saying the stand I ordered wasn't in stock so they were going to refund my money and send me a clear plastic stand as a "Goodwill Gesture." I thought that was nice until they didn't refund my money until I emailed them yesterday about it.

I guess in conclusion I would say that I really really appreciate the time and effort the B&B staff put into this brush. I felt I had to write this, and even though my time here and post count will cause this review to be taken less seriously than if I was an old-timer...I needed to say this whole "Special" purchase has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Ryan, sorry to hear that you're not happy with the brush. We all have our preferences and it's possible the B&B brush is just not the brush for you. I find it a little odd that you find the MP softer. MP and EJ source their badger hair together. Therefore the standard silvertip from MP and EJ is one and the same. Comparing the two, the finest is softer. It's entirely possible that your new brush just needs a few more tries to get into a groove. After all, you've been using the MP for a while and I find brushes soften up a bit after a fair bit of use.

Ryan: I have posted my newbie, low post count observations previously. They are similar to your observations. I mostly paint lather that was whipped up in a bowl. Used in this manner my finest is otherworldly soft. However, if one makes lather on their face, it might be considered scratchy. Not a problem for me, but others may feel differently. All said, I love my brush and am very happy with my purchase. I await the observation of the more experienced on this topic. This is a great place for me to learn more about a new found passion. Regards, Bradley:smile:

Ryan,

I found that I needed to use the brush for a couple of days until it broke in enough that it felt completely "right" and developed fully. I'm in the process of doing the same all over again with my standard silvertip in onyx.

Seth

Ryan, sorry to hear that you're not happy with the brush. We all have our preferences and it's possible the B&B brush is just not the brush for you. I find it a little odd that you find the MP softer. MP and EJ source their badger hair together. Therefore the standard silvertip from MP and EJ is one and the same. Comparing the two, the finest is softer. It's entirely possible that your new brush just needs a few more tries to get into a groove. After all, you've been using the MP for a while and I find brushes soften up a bit after a fair bit of use.

Awesome...I'm glad to read the end of this. I never thought about it softening up after use. You're right...I have been using the other brush for a while now, perhaps this is why it feels softer. Thanks for the the replies guys, I think maybe I jumped the gun a bit, and I'm sorry. I've just been looking forward to this brush for so long, I'm sure I expected a little too much.

Awesome...I'm glad to read the end of this. I never thought about it softening up after use. You're right...I have been using the other brush for a while now, perhaps this is why it feels softer. Thanks for the the replies guys, I think maybe I jumped the gun a bit, and I'm sorry. I've just been looking forward to this brush for so long, I'm sure I expected a little too much.

Use it for another week or so and if you're still not happy, PM me.

i started out the same way in essence. i couldn't make as good lather with my new BnB silvertip as i could from my savile row along with the smell being bad. i was very saddened.

HOWEVER, i have had the brush now for 3 weeks and things have TOTALLY changed. i love my new brush. let me repeat, i absolutely love this brush. 1st and foremost the one thing i can never live without again is the density. its so packed and not floppy in the least. 100% fantasticly packed. i can't imagine another floppy brush. next the pungant smell that it started with which was a mix of cigarettes and badger is now all gone, so that makes me happy. and lastely, i have finally figured out the soap/water/mixture ratio to make very thick, creamy, beautiful lather. it really did take me over a week to figure this out. now, coming full circle, all the above have made my brush complete.

its a wonderful brush. i look forward to using it daily.

a big thanks to the joel/john here for their work with edwin jagger getting this set up. the brush shows the extra workmanship that is what we are all looking for as we love this obsession.

~J

I have a M-P silvertip brush & I think the reason if feels softer is the fact there is alot less badger hair & the M-P is more floppy.
I got the finest horn B&B brush & I have noticed it is getting softer lately.
For the money, the B&B finest brush is a once in a lifetime!
She sure is a beauty to behold! :001_tt1:

Up until today my Horn/Finest has only seen Taylor Rose shave cream and the brush's scent has gotten down right pleasant! Actually, mind never did have a strong bad smell; guess I was lucky!

Norm

Top Bottom