What's new

Difference between Rooney 3/1 Coral and Rooney 3/1 Ebony

I had acquired a Rooney 3/1 Coral a few months back and loved the brush. Giving in to SBAD, I acquired another Rooney 3/1, this time in Ebony. Both brushes were acquired from Jim at Vintage Blades.

I note that the Ebony version is not as densely filled as the Coral. Also, the backbone is a bit less and tips are a bit softer on the Ebony.

Is it normal to have variances in brushes of the same model? I called up Jim and asked him about this - he said since the brushes are hand made, there could be subtle variations in the feel of the brush.

I have attached a picture to explain the difference. As you can see, the bloom characteristics are different. You can also make out the difference in density and the whiteness of the hair.

Anyone else experienced this?

Attachments

• $IMG_3502.jpg
    $IMG_3502.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 183

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
There can be some pretty significant.differences in knots on the same brush. WCS lists their Chubby2 as 27x50. My Chubby2 measures 28.3x59.4

I used to have the 3/1 in coral and if I recall correctly the coral was only available in Pure Badger. This was over a year ago so my memory may be off but either way, just looking at the photos, your 3/1 brushes do appear to have very different hair.

My Rooney 3/1 Coral has "Super Badger" in it. I have a T&H (Truefit & Hill) small, 3/1, allegedly made by Rooney. It says "Silvertip Badger" on the handle. The T & H knot is a bit smaller then the Rooney, until it is wet, then blooms out to approx. the same size as the Rooney. They are both bulb style. Both do a teriffic job and feel the same on my face using both soaps and creams. Your black handle Rooney brush appears to be more fan shaped then bulb style.

Just to let everyone know, both the Ebony and the Coral are in Super. I have been using the Ebony for about a month and although its a great brush, its not as nice as the Coral. It appears Rooney has changed their manufacturing standards and the newer stock is not as good as the old ones. I looked at some of the pictures of the older stock of Rooney (reviews of the Rooney 3/1 super in Tortoise) and all of those appear (atleast in the images) to be as dense as my Coral.

Does anyone klnow where I can buy a 3/1 (Super) from the older stock?

My coral 3/1 was one of my first Rooney's. It is printed with block letters like my Finests, not the new script. It is still one of my favorites.

Top Bottom