What's new

did I make a good decision?

I've had very good results with all the Russian blades you have received in your order. For me they offer the optimum balance of sharpness, closeness and freedom from nicks and burn.

I wonder when you point out a difference in passes needed between your cheeks whether you're getting the angle the same – shaving the opposite cheek XTG is always harder.

I find that it's more important to make facets of my face flat rather than stretching my skin. I get nicks and burns when my skin is stretched.

Different soaps definitely make a difference in providing more protection and better lubrication.

I've had very good results with all the Russian blades you have received in your order. For me they offer the optimum balance of sharpness, closeness and freedom from nicks and burn.

I wonder when you point out a difference in passes needed between your cheeks whether you're getting the angle the same – shaving the opposite cheek XTG is always harder.

I find that it's more important to make facets of my face flat rather than stretching my skin. I get nicks and burns when my skin is stretched.

Different soaps definitely make a difference in providing more protection and better lubrication.

Having spent the last month shaving left handed due to a broken elbow, yet having the same issue between left and right cheek I can only assume there must be a slight variation in the grain there.

i have used a couple of the russian blades before - voskhod and platinum lux, but I find that even having gone through 5 of each i do not positively know if I like them or not. Having gone through gsb's for about a month in a lot of different razors I think that I do not like them, but I am not certain, however, I bought 25 and will revisit periodically.

Having spent the last month shaving left handed due to a broken elbow, yet having the same issue between left and right cheek I can only assume there must be a slight variation in the grain there.

i have used a couple of the russian blades before - voskhod and platinum lux, but I find that even having gone through 5 of each i do not positively know if I like them or not. Having gone through gsb's for about a month in a lot of different razors I think that I do not like them, but I am not certain, however, I bought 25 and will revisit periodically.

So how do you know that you like a blade type? What is that you notice and appreciate?

So how do you know that you like a blade type? What is that you notice and appreciate?

I have a great deal of difficulty telling one blade from the next. A few things I have been able to tell: e.g. Seven o clock yellows feel sharper than anything else I have used. Otherwise all blades feel the same to me and I can only go by results and irritation. Shark somehow manage to be less irritating even if less sharp than some others.

I have rarely previously gotten consistent good shaves so everything keeps changing while trying to find something.. Anything that will actually work. Therefore a sample blade could be tried in three, four, five different razors, and one shave with the blade may be good then the next with everything as consistent as I could manage could be far worse.

i have started to get a consistent good routine now which leaves only mild tingling from the alum block and dfs level shaves. This means I will better be able to sub in blades and see if they work.

my two cents: I have had some of my best results with a Slim and a feather/GSB/Polsilver. So good quality
blades matter. Sample packs are cheap. Maybe someone already suggested as much.

getting the right razor/blade combination is important.
technique is king.

so try new stuff. It's half the fun anyway.

If you're getting the least irritation with Shark then maybe it's worth persevering with them. As a blade that's less sharp than some, don't have any qualms about tossing them when performance degrades. (A feeling of resistance and noticeably more stubble remaining when you rinse after your first pass).

Have you noticed differences in the sound the blade makes or the feel of it on your skin as you remove lather?

Are you shaving both cheeks with the same pass angle in relation to the direction of growth?

If you're getting the least irritation with Shark then maybe it's worth persevering with them. As a blade that's less sharp than some, don't have any qualms about tossing them when performance degrades. (A feeling of resistance and noticeably more stubble remaining when you rinse after your first pass).

Have you noticed differences in the sound the blade makes or the feel of it on your skin as you remove lather?

Are you shaving both cheeks with the same pass angle in relation to the direction of growth?

I am persevering with the sharks. I still have something like 170 of them and I am glad that they are working for me.

i do notice the sound and the shark is relatively loud especially when skin stretching during the first pass

i am shaving with the same pass angle relative to direction of growth. My cheeks both grow hair in the same 45 degree angle rather than mirror image.

Top Bottom